E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > More Vibration after Rear Subframe Bushing Install?

02-24-2020, 06:50 AM   #1
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Question More Vibration after Rear Subframe Bushing Install?

I installed the M3 rear controls arms and Whiteline black rear subframe bushings in my 07' 335i a few weekends ago.

The think drives great, handles much better, and the rearend of the car doesn't feel like it's walking around any more.......but sometimes I can notice some more vibration in the rear of the car, especially if I get on the gas hard from a dead stop. But as soon as the rpms get up over around 3,000 or so....it all smooths out and it's gone.

Is this normal when you get rid of the soft oem bushings and install the harder poly bushings with the aluminum inserts.

I don't think anyone would notice is unless I point it out....but I can feel it. Just wondering. Thanks!
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Sounds normal. This is the NVH from firmer bushings that BMW didn't want you to feel, so they specced the crazy soft ones that you just removed.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:12 PM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Upgrading some will expose the weakness of others, especially pronounced on 13 year old vehicle. Maybe: wheel hop? Center bearing on drive shaft? Over inflated tires?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #4
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Upgrading some will expose the weakness of others, especially pronounced on 13 year old vehicle. Maybe: wheel hop? Center bearing on drive shaft? Over inflated tires?
Actually...it hooks up great now...no wheel hop at all. I guess it could be a driveshaft bearing....it's just a very slight vibration bi can feel, but it goes away after a second or two. The tires are brand new.....running about 35psi in the rears. .

I'm guessing that stiffer bushings are going to transfer more vibration and harmonics... .that's just par for the coarse.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:09 PM   #5
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

What about your exhaust? I just had to re adjust the muffler connection at the clamps. It was hitting the braces for the E91 wagon (also X1). Not sure what other things you might hit, like heat shield? It comes on at low RPM such as idle or slowing down to a stop in gear.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

The only time I can feel it is when I'm slightly on the throttle (not idle, not WOT....just rolling into it nice and easy)......it could be a driveshaft u-joint or bearing issue, but I don't know why those parts would go bad at the exact same time I put new bushings in. It's not exhaust or a heat shield vibration.

I'm assuming that with stiffer su frame bushings, and with the M3 rear arms that have bearing instead of soft rubber bushings in them.....some added vibration is normal....right?

At highway speeds there is no vibration....And at idle there is no vibration. The only time I feel it slightly is when I'm taking off from a stop....and at around 3,000rpms it goes away and never comes back.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
The only time I can feel it is when I'm slightly on the throttle (not idle, not WOT....just rolling into it nice and easy)......it could be a driveshaft u-joint or bearing issue, but I don't know why those parts would go bad at the exact same time I put new bushings in.
They haven't necessarily just chosen this time to give up; they've probably been wearing and making these vibrations for a while, but now they're being transmitted to the cabin through the stiffer bushings, much more than they were with soft bushings.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
They haven't necessarily just chosen this time to give up; they've probably been wearing and making these vibrations for a while, but now they're being transmitted to the cabin through the stiffer bushings, much more than they were with soft bushings.
Good point. I guess I might pull the drive shaft out and have it checked out. With over 100K on it, I'm guessing the u-joint and/or center bearing may have a little play in it?

I did a little more driving around this morning....it seems speed related, not RPM related. I can feel it around 15-20mph, before and after that it's gone. RPMs don't really matter....but speed does.

I guess that would point to something driveshaft related maybe?
2007 335i, BMS DCI, BMS Chargepipe w/Tial BOV, ARM Catless Downpipes, silicone inlets, Bilstein B12 Prokit Suspension, Whiteline subframe bushings, Front/Rear M3 control arms, G-Plus FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP, Custom E40 tune by Justin (V8Bait), xHP stage 3 transmission flash, RB Two Turbos....10.90 @ 128mph
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah, sounds about right. Driveshaft or diff, at a guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 11:07 PM   #10
Soravia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 Silver xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
Good point. I guess I might pull the drive shaft out and have it checked out. With over 100K on it, I'm guessing the u-joint and/or center bearing may have a little play in it?

I did a little more driving around this morning....it seems speed related, not RPM related. I can feel it around 15-20mph, before and after that it's gone. RPMs don't really matter....but speed does.

I guess that would point to something driveshaft related maybe?
Center hanger bearing needs press. Flex Disc aka Guibo cracks staring at 60k miles and need a large pry bar to work it out against pressure from drive shaft. Check my thread in xDrive section replace all three

I have entire M3 sub frame with all M3 arms and bushings, save the damper and spring arm. Should have switched to M3 spring arm and damper, too.

No vibrations. Even after rear diff vibe absorbing weight was removed.
I will see if there gear whine on highway speed
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Besides the u-joint and center bearing, anything else that could be causing the vibration? At highway speeds...it's smooth as can be. I only feel it at slow speeds in 2nd gear. Never felt anything before the new bushings and M3 arms.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 07:13 AM   #12
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

****UPDATE****

Well, I think I found out what I was getting that vibration at slow speeds after I installed those rear subframe bushings. I decided last night I was going to pull the driveshaft out and have it balanced.....after I pulled the exhaust, and the heat shields....I noticed what was wrong.

I had installed the carrier bearing upside down....

Luckily it was an easy fix. I can't believe that with the driveshaft being out of alignment like that, it only had some vibration at slow speeds...but nothing at highway speeds.

Well....at least that stupid mistake on my part was an easy fix, I really wasn't looking forward to pulling the driveshaft out
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #13
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

It was one of my guesses but what was the reason for you removing and reinstalling the drive shaft central bearing for?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #14
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
It was one of my guesses but what was the reason for you removing and reinstalling the drive shaft central bearing for?
When I dropped the rear subframe ,I unhooked the driveshaft from the back of the transmission...also had to remove the carrier bearing.
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50