E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Looking for VO code for electric OEM tow bar

11-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #67
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335D E91

Hurray nice work Scoff123! Mine all working well too, glad you gave me the final inspiration needed to finish mine too! Hope we help more people in the future that find this thread too!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #68
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 320D M Sport

Absolutely We got there in the end! I finished recoding my custom codings on the modules I had to default code after fitting this so all is good again. Funny how you miss the little things like digital speedo when you no longer have it! What's your next retrofit going to be!?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 04:25 PM   #69
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I couldn't live without the folding mirrors on key, I had to put that straight back on. Seatbelt warning is a bit annoying now that's back with my rucksack on the passenger seat. I forgot about that one!

Not sure on next but the one option I really wanted was the full length sunroof. I asked in another thread about the feasibility of the retrofit, it involves drilling a load of spot welds! Similar to the carbon roof conversions they do on the coupe M3's. I am watching ebay for a full roof coming up, or an E91 breaking with sunroof so will see!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:24 PM   #70
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Wow the full length sunroof would be a heck of a retrofit to accomplish! My friend has that on his E91 and it is a great feature to have If you've got the means to do it then why not!

I'd like to retrofit folding mirrors but just waiting to find a set in good condition, and i'm sure it will be a breeze compared with the towbar!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #71
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

I just put an offer in for a swing away hitch for my e90. Anyone still have an unused harness laying around that will work for my 2009 e90?
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #72
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi David, mine sold on ebay sorry!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 10:25 AM   #73
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfawcett View Post
Hi David, mine sold on ebay sorry!
NoOoooooooooo!
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #74
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry I don't have any bits left over from my install either
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #75
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Going to pickup my install kit tomorrow. I may be tapping you guys for assistance.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #76
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I just discovered the that I too was missing the activation module today while installing mine. you gents think I will be safe ordering one from eBay? I have the bar installed and started routing the cables to the front but will need to pull the panels again when I get the module.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #77
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi David
I have limited access to the pc at present but I imagine you will be fine with any activation module from ebay. I know there were a couple changes to the newer ones, but haven't got time to go back through my notes just now to see what did change. I'll be able to look into it after the weekend though so if you don't get anything ordered in the meantime I'll be able to give you a better answer then
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2018, 11:52 AM   #78
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoff123 View Post
Hi David
I have limited access to the pc at present but I imagine you will be fine with any activation module from ebay. I know there were a couple changes to the newer ones, but haven't got time to go back through my notes just now to see what did change. I'll be able to look into it after the weekend though so if you don't get anything ordered in the meantime I'll be able to give you a better answer then
Thank you, I did grab one from eBay but I still need to find the time to get the front harness hooked up to make sure it works.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #79
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

All wired up! I hit the button the hitch drops about 5 cm and then I can pull it to the locked position. Hit the button and it releases and I can swing it up into the hidden position. It think it is just stiff from sitting unused. Now I just need to code it!
I am pleased!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2018, 11:39 AM   #80
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok, if anyone ever finds this thread looking for options.
Yes the European (Westfalia) swing hitch does work with the US e90.
Things I learned,
- The install kit tells you to swap (cut and install a new plug that is provided with the kit on one wire), no need, the plug is correct for the 2007 and up US car.
You will need one extra 20a mini blade fuse and one additional 20 normal blade fuse.
- the BMW kit is missing the switch bracket and missing the swing control.
Everything else works like a champ!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #81
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry I wasn't subscribed to this thread! Glad you got sorted too David, mine's still working really well! I occasionally deploy it just to keep it moving, and clean it as part of my car cleaning whilst the gritters are out salting the roads. I recently replaced the m5 bolts with marine grade stainless steel ones from eBay.

It's strange that you were also missing that module from the install kit, I was missing that one too. The retrofit kit certainly isn't complete!
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 12:58 PM   #82
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E91 Lci, Vectra B V6

Hi guys, new member here after some insight!

Hopefully the two chaps who were big contributors in this thread will be available still.
I undertook to retrofit the original swiveling towbar. I got my bar second hand from ebay and it included the two modules and switch, must have been a factory fit judging by the wiring.
So BMW no longer supply retrofit kits for the wiring, there is one E92 kit in Germany (7 day order & my car is an E91) at £270 eek.

Made up my own harness and installed all additional fuses as per vehicle built post 09/07 - mine is a Feb 2010 build.

Original AHM was AHM3 and caused coding hiccups.
Original AHV was similarly old and I couldn't get reliable functionality of towbar movement, ie. the button didn't do anything and the state would change everytime the AHK was disconnected & reconnected - or every time the tailgate was opened providing car was awake and ignition off.
I hoped the above was due to AHM miss match so sourced a secondhand AHM 4R - from an E70 infact.

No improvement on swiveling operation. Ordered the latest AHV module as described in this thread. No improvement.

I had a persistant LIN bus code for comms between AHM and trailer module.

Eventually investigated the switch and found board damage, with 3 of 4 pins connected and manually joining pins 5 & 1 operation of swivel is working. New switch coming tomorrow.

At this point all trailer lighting working fine.

Decided it was time to code the second hand (E70) AHM 4R and this altered my error to reflect a comms fault between AHM & AHV.

Now the dash is constantly warning of the head not being locked (in either deployed or retracted positions - although the LED functions properly) because the AHM doesn't like the signal from the AHV.

I've since carried out programming and re-coding on AHM with no change, got the oscilloscope out and viewed the signal between the AHM & AHV and found
a repeating oscillation between 12v and GND whenever the towbar is locked in deployed or retracted postions and a solid pull to 12v when swinging between positions.
So clearly the AHV is aware of the position (as backed up by LED) and passing this information to the AHM but the AHM isn't happy with what it's seeing.

Could this be because its from an E70? but surely programming and coding should sort that out.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #83
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Guys I just solved it thanks mainly to putting my thoughts down in this thread. When I rewired the AHM plug from AHM3 to AHM4R I used the wiring diagram in the retrofit instructions, now having just checked the pin asignment given in this thread I see that AHM4R is data on pin 11 not Pin 7.

Anyway seems that's sorted. Thanks again to all the information posted in this thread, I'm in the trade but good info is still hard to come by.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 02:53 PM   #84
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

So a final post in summary for the benefit of anyone else trying this. The E70 AHM records (but doesn't display) errors for the movement of the towbar between retracted and deployed positions. Presumably because the E70 is a fully electric job, not swinging and would therefore never be expected to stop in an intermediate position.

I also finally added the RH indicator signal to AHM 4R on pin 9.
No idea what role that plays.
The AHV has no ability to monitor nor report issues with the switch button.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 03:45 PM   #85
jamesfawcett
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Andy glad you got sorted, sorry I wasn’t of much help! Thanks for adding your info to this thread to help others.

Mines still going strong and we took the retro caravan out at the weekend!
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #86
Scoff123
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
So a final post in summary for the benefit of anyone else trying this. The E70 AHM records (but doesn't display) errors for the movement of the towbar between retracted and deployed positions. Presumably because the E70 is a fully electric job, not swinging and would therefore never be expected to stop in an intermediate position.

I also finally added the RH indicator signal to AHM 4R on pin 9.
No idea what role that plays.
The AHV has no ability to monitor nor report issues with the switch button.
Well done Andy, sorry I missed the notification about a new post in this thread. I had a feeling the pins on the AHM4 were different and was going to look out my notes and diagrams from when I was reading up about it all, but glad you cracked it in the end!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #87
Andystobbs
Captain
Rep

Could anyone with the towbar help me out with ordering a replacement label for the left luggage cover in the boot of my E91. Now I've fitted the towbar I'd like to add the towbar insignia/pictogram on the left luggage cover. I can't find a part number for the label showing first aid kit, warning triangle and towbar. Could some kind person pop theirs out and get the number from the back.
Also as the new label is wider I'm concerned that the clips may be further apart possibly meaning it won't fit. So if any one can measure the clips too that'd be great. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 01:08 PM   #88
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andystobbs View Post
Could anyone with the towbar help me out with ordering a replacement label for the left luggage cover in the boot of my E91. Now I've fitted the towbar I'd like to add the towbar insignia/pictogram on the left luggage cover. I can't find a part number for the label showing first aid kit, warning triangle and towbar. Could some kind person pop theirs out and get the number from the back.
Also as the new label is wider I'm concerned that the clips may be further apart possibly meaning it won't fit. So if any one can measure the clips too that'd be great. Thanks
Sorry, my e90 doesn’t have that, hope one of the other gents can assist you.
Appreciate 0