E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Heated rear screen (bad earth?)

03-25-2018, 04:08 AM   #23
charliewaqs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d Gran Coupe

When I put that part number in eBay it’s coming up as an antenna trap booster. Not sure fixing it will resolve the issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #24
MrWani
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 330i

Garage List
I understand that part is a frequency lockout to stop the rear heated screen interfering with aerial signals. The incoming wire is the (only) output from the heated screen. Leaving the lock out the blue connector has quite a lot of bare wire. From the looks of it (brown marks of the chassis) this has shorted against the body of the car and melted the connection. The wire disappears into a wiring loom I assume off to earth.

The heated screen definitely wont work in it's current state as the damage breaks the circuit. Hence why when I earth from the screen bars itself I get the 12 volts.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 11:13 AM   #25
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Glad you found the fault. You'll obviously need the part & a new connector, so maybe try a scrappie & get both in one hit. Solder on to the car loom, use heat shrink or copious amounts of insulating tape & make sure it never happens again!
This one has some wires with it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E87-E...sAAOSwfphaiXT4
One from the dealer will not have any cable with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #26
MrWani
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfleming View Post
Glad you found the fault. You'll obviously need the part & a new connector, so maybe try a scrappie & get both in one hit. Solder on to the car loom, use heat shrink or copious amounts of insulating tape & make sure it never happens again!
This one has some wires with it: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E87-E...sAAOSwfphaiXT4
One from the dealer will not have any cable with it.
Thanks, I ordered one yesterday from Lithuania with both connectors attached. Put the car back together today, frustrating as I would have liked to test and fit the new part. Hoping I can squeeze it back in without removing the parcel shelf but will have to see.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #27
MrWani
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Gave her a quick wash to celebrate.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #28
bfleming
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Merc, VW, Porsche, Suzuki

Garage List
Looking good
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #29
charliewaqs
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 430d Gran Coupe

All sorted? Well done mate.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #30
MrWani
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewaqs View Post
No but I'm confident that's the problem, the heated screen circuit is broken by that lock out. Got to wait at least a week to get the new part and probably another week before I'll get chance to fit it. I will update then though.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 04:33 PM   #31
CMOSUK
Rep
Drives: E90 EFFICIENT DYNAMICS

Similar Issue

Hi,

I have a bmw E90 2010 320d, when I press the demister/defogger button on or off, it makes a clicking sound each time it is turned on or off, iv traced the clicking sound to the glovebox/fuse box area.

when you turn it on (demister/defogger) the glovebox light seems to dim slightly as well and you can hear the click sound more apparently as the glove box is open.

It never did this before, please any suggestions on this?

Please note it isnt a constant click sound, just every time it is pressed to turn on or off.

I would appreciate any feedback on this please.

I have noticed when running the battery test on the kombi while engine is on idling, the 'UB' voltage is at 14.7v 14.8v as soon as I press that rear demister button it drops to 13.5v and then a split second jumps back upto 14.6v to 14.7v

I have also noticed that click sound when I start or shut the car through the start button, when you actually crank it up, not through just start it up electronically wise.

Please guys I would like some help on this, if you could suggest anything on this as I don't want this to be a big issue down the line.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #32
MrWani
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMOSUK View Post
Hi,

I have a bmw E90 2010 320d, when I press the demister/defogger button on or off, it makes a clicking sound each time it is turned on or off, iv traced the clicking sound to the glovebox/fuse box area.

when you turn it on (demister/defogger) the glovebox light seems to dim slightly as well and you can hear the click sound more apparently as the glove box is open.

It never did this before, please any suggestions on this?

Please note it isnt a constant click sound, just every time it is pressed to turn on or off.

I would appreciate any feedback on this please.

I have noticed when running the battery test on the kombi while engine is on idling, the 'UB' voltage is at 14.7v 14.8v as soon as I press that rear demister button it drops to 13.5v and then a split second jumps back upto 14.6v to 14.7v

I have also noticed that click sound when I start or shut the car through the start button, when you actually crank it up, not through just start it up electronically wise.

Please guys I would like some help on this, if you could suggest anything on this as I don't want this to be a big issue down the line.
Why do you think there is something wrong? The relay in the glovebox should make an audible click when the demister is switched on/off this is normal. I could just hear mine while driving at 60 with the glovebox open to give you an idea of volume, some of the earlier models have a replaceable relay which may be louder or quieter. Voltages sound fine with the engine running and it quite possible to have a temporary dip when you turn any component on.

Have you actually got any faults?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 12:23 AM   #33
CMOSUK
Rep
Drives: E90 EFFICIENT DYNAMICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWani View Post
Why do you think there is something wrong? The relay in the glovebox should make an audible click when the demister is switched on/off this is normal. I could just hear mine while driving at 60 with the glovebox open to give you an idea of volume, some of the earlier models have a replaceable relay which may be louder or quieter. Voltages sound fine with the engine running and it quite possible to have a temporary dip when you turn any component on.

Have you actually got any faults?
Thanks for getting back to me.

It just seems a bit odd to me, as when I press the rear defogger button especially from cold start you can almost hear a slight change in engine noise and when you turn it off you can see the rev counter slightly hiccup up then down again.

I might be overthinking, and worrying too much, but what got me thinking was why thr glovebox box light was dimming when I turned that on.

Again I have not got any errors or there isn't any difference in drive performance or anything in that respect.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #34
MrWani
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewaqs View Post
Just got round to testing the new part and it's working.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #35
Dibbles00
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWani View Post
Just got round to testing the new part and it's working.
Thanks for updating the thread. Most don't or leave it open.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2021, 09:27 AM   #36
Omp
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Does anybody know where this module is on a touring model? I have all of these exact symptoms and this is my last resort. I've had the passenger rear bolster out and it wasn't behind there, it also wasn't around the rear quarter glass/c pillar

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #37
TRICORD
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 N54 335i

Newbie here :)

Oh Wow!! Just joined e90post today. This is SUCH a useful thread, thanks for sharing!!!

My 2006 N54 335i is dead at the moment, but hoping to find someone to help me bring it back to life... Before it gave up the ghost, there'd been intermittent success with the rear window demister so this is golden.

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #38
Ridu
Rep
Drives: E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omp View Post
Does anybody know where this module is on a touring model? I have all of these exact symptoms and this is my last resort. I've had the passenger rear bolster out and it wasn't behind there, it also wasn't around the rear quarter glass/c pillar

Thanks
I have exactly the same problem Did you find the location of the module in touring?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2021, 05:14 PM   #39
namsu2430
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 N52 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICORD View Post
Oh Wow!! Just joined e90post today. This is SUCH a useful thread, thanks for sharing!!!

My 2006 N54 335i is dead at the moment, but hoping to find someone to help me bring it back to life... Before it gave up the ghost, there'd been intermittent success with the rear window demister so this is golden.

Thanks!!

Intermittent could be a low battery. top it up fully and if it works then that's your problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #40
Ridu
Rep
Drives: E91

I have no problems with battery. My rear screen heater just not working, I have A6C8 fault and I don't know where is antenna module in my e91
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 01:48 AM   #41
Processing61
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 325D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridu View Post
I have no problems with battery. My rear screen heater just not working, I have A6C8 fault and I don't know where is antenna module in my e91
Hi, did you manage to get anywhere with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2023, 10:45 AM   #42
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D

Mine has this issue now too. Did you guys find out where the module is?
Appreciate 0