E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Best solution to quick connect fittings?

08-06-2021, 11:44 PM   #1
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

Best solution to quick connect fittings?

As im sure I don't need to explain what im referring to, what is the best solution when considering cost and reliability. The options im referring to are wagner evo 3 comp intercooler, forge boost hose, atm boost hose/ATM ASV hose, ATM intercooler, AAR intercooler with ATM(?) Boost hose, and then lastly would be just a seal kit perhaps with extra hose clamps and a new stock intercooler.

Wagner evo 3 $1000-1100 seems like one of the best.. its like the atm intercooler yet you get all the charge/boost hoses and one or two are aluminum. Now the question is does the ASV side necessarily need aftermarket hoses? Other benefits are probably the best performance/pressure drop.

ATM intercooler $700(?) I believe its around that price. Now this I feel like is the 2nd best, considering it does away with the quick connects on the intercooler. I suppose you could add in the ASV hose with this as well? I suppose that would make this kit comparable to the wagner just a tad smaller.

3rd best I feel is AAR intercooler but considering im pretty sure its just an ebay intercooler and ATM boost hose I won't count it.

3rd would then be ATM and ASV boost hoses.

4th would be new seals and new stock intercooler because the price is high compared to the reliability and performance..

Forge boost hose isn't even sold in the US anymore is it? I forgot about that.. Also the ATM boost hose uses two seals on each side so I believe that's superior.

Ultimately im wanting no boost leaks first and performance second and cost would come in at 3rd. Now I've tried to find reviews of these products everywhere and I find its almost impossible.. anyone have any experience with this system? I know people on here do so share some opinions. And I know there's always the custom route but I don't trust myself without pro help on perfecting it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 04:32 AM   #2
Owen81
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d, 17/22 TDI

I was under the impression that the Wagner kit has a turbo outlet adapter that retains the stock style connection there, but I haven't installed one or seen it in person even.
If it does retain the stock connection I wouldn't say that is even a solution as that connection seems to be the worse offender for leaks.

From what I have seen the ATM intercooler with ASV pipe is the only real solution that eliminates ALL of the stock oring style connections as it uses a press fit permanent turbo outlet adapter.

New orings on the stock connections does seem to seal it just doesn't last very long. The most cost effective solution is to just keep replacing them if you can do the work yourself, no need to replace the intercooler unless the connection clip seats are wearing down as well somehow. The clips can wear as per Yozh's video here:

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 11:47 PM   #3
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Ahh you may be correct.. if that is the case then that pretty much removes that one from the list considering the sky high price. Well dang thats actually a relief considering the ATM with ASV together are gonna be $800 right... at least thats somewhat of a discount.

So you say the clips need replacing as well? I have to agree then clips/seals would definitely and obviously be most cost efficient. Is there room to throw two seals in each opening? Also would the stock hoses benefit from a clamp replacement or just extra clamps? And if my boost hose is just really worn out would replacing the seals on it even make a difference until I could switch over to the ATM system?

When it comes to the intercooler is it going to be in my benefit to drop the intercooler and see if there's a pool of oil? Is that even a possibility?

Well that helps narrow down everything pretty much to two brands then... I appreciate the likeminded response! Also I didn't know that was his account. I definitely recognize the name from around the forums lol and he has some good videos for sure.

EDIT: Oh wow ok so that was just your evidence for the ASV replacement correct? the video that is. The other clips in on the quick connect fittings, do they wear as well like this? And are there even replacements for sale?

Last edited by fearitself165; 08-11-2021 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #4
335_DE90
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 335D Sport

[QUOTE=Owen81;27892544]I was under the impression that the Wagner kit has a turbo outlet adapter that retains the stock style connection there, but I haven't installed one or seen it in person even.
If it does retain the stock connection I wouldn't say that is even a solution as that connection seems to be the worse offender for leaks.

Could you use the ATM turbo outlet hose/adapter with the Wagner evo 3? I bought the Wagner assuming it used an adapter like the ATM.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 11:33 PM   #5
awenthol
Private
Rep
Drives: BSM 2011 335d

I'm running the ATM chargepipe with an ebay stepped cooler. Even though the charge pipe connects to the factory connections, it's a much tighter interference (like, really, really difficult to get them on). So, it will eliminate the leaks. I'm at ~10k miles with no leaks. Previously, I'd be leaking almost immediately after replacing seals.

The ebay charge air cooler was due to a rock punching a hole in the oem (and me being cheap) ...generally lower IATs but because its larger. High load/RPM runs and it'll eventually get up to the same temps as the stock cooler, meaning it's noticibly less efficient.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by awenthol View Post
I'm running the ATM chargepipe with an ebay stepped cooler. Even though the charge pipe connects to the factory connections, it's a much tighter interference (like, really, really difficult to get them on). So, it will eliminate the leaks. I'm at ~10k miles with no leaks. Previously, I'd be leaking almost immediately after replacing seals.

The ebay charge air cooler was due to a rock punching a hole in the oem (and me being cheap) ...generally lower IATs but because its larger. High load/RPM runs and it'll eventually get up to the same temps as the stock cooler, meaning it's noticibly less efficient.
This was another idea or option I was considering as well.. so do you have problems with the other side of the intercooler outlet hoses? Because if they don't really leak it would make it more a priority obviously to just buy the charge hose "pipe" lol and the most efficient intercooler.

I'm still going to probably choose between the atm ic and one of the wagners. But then again I can't recall does the evo 2 kit include the charge pipes as well?.. because if the evo 3 doesn't leak I would love the idea of just dropping a little extra dough knowing im getting the largest plug n play IC option with the least pressure drop plus all the hoses are accounted for as well.

Now this brings up another question for me with the wagner evo 3.. regardless of whether or not it uses the stock quick connects or t-band clamps, do the charge pipes that are included with it leak? Is there anyone out there who has owned this ic or perhaps had a friend who does? Lol
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 07:00 PM   #7
CRJ68
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
But then again I can't recall does the evo 2 kit include the charge pipes as well?.

https://www.wagner-tuning.com/produc...200001170.html
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2021, 08:58 PM   #8
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRJ68 View Post
thank you, and to the others in this thread, after reading over again about the evo 2/3 included charge pipes, it appears they do away with the quick connect fittings gs like I originally thought.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 05:05 PM   #9
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

I can help with a discount with atm.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
I can help with a discount with atm.
What about a discount for just the charge pipe? I was cleaning out my intercooler and boost hoses and I ended up losing the clip for the top of the red hose. Found it the next day and went to put it on and after I got it hooked in and started installing rhe black piece it slipped and fell somewhere. I still have yet to find it and im pretty sure its gone. What are my options in this situation?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #11
TheBigSwede
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d m-sport- JR stg 2

I went with the all ATM option a year ago and it did indeed seal up all the leaks. Wish I’d done it sooner. Engine bay stays clean now and I get all that boosty goodness under my right foot as I roll into it. No codes!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:34 AM   #12
fearitself165
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigSwede View Post
I went with the all ATM option a year ago and it did indeed seal up all the leaks. Wish I’d done it sooner. Engine bay stays clean now and I get all that boosty goodness under my right foot as I roll into it. No codes!
So u got the atm intercooler and the asv elbow?
Appreciate 0