E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Removing Power Seats with Damaged Electrics

09-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
nibbtastic
Rep
Drives: SULEV 325 Touring

Removing Power Seats with Damaged Electrics

Greets!

Searched ahead of time but didn’t find a specific answer to my quandary. On a recent trip to the local LKQ, I came across a pre-lci E90 with a split folding, powered Terra interior pretty decent condition. The car was in a minor collision that popped both front airbags but doesn’t seem to have activated the seat air bags. Got most everything Terra specific out before moving on to the front seats.

Unfortunately it appears that someone completely destroyed the distribution box wiring, so I can’t hook up my pocket jump pack as normal. Tried using the drill battery method, with female spade connectors on pins 4&8 of the seat pigtail, but I couldn’t get either to budge. Even tried pins 9&13 to test the lumbar support but, again, no dice. Drill battery is FAR from dead, as I charged two to max and can make sparks betwixt the leads all day long.

Any ideas? Does being in an accident do something inherent to the wiring in the seat that permanently immobilizes it? Would love to have these in my car, or at least understand what’s wrong with my approach.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

It should move with the seat harness plugged into
Your battery.
I’ve moved them with the pigtail completely cut off the car wire harness and hooked up to the a Dewlt battery.
Are you plugging the 2 thick wires into your +/- on the battery?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 12:26 PM   #3
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

without can-bus from the car the drivers seat will move for 20-40 sec after powering
the passenger seat do not have memory and should simply work from external battery
      10-19-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
nibbtastic
Rep
Drives: SULEV 325 Touring

Thanks all, you’d be right. Unfortunately, turns outs whoever got to the car before me had also decided to cut the seat harness so the motors weren’t receiving power from the pigtail.
Appreciate 0