E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Zero cost reversable electrical EGR delete

03-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #89
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335XD

In reply to an EGR mod, the faults will always appear even if the EGR emulator was designed as the Air Mass meter will register a higher flow of fresh air due to closed egr and the faults will always trigger.

The mod I'am currently looking to do is, what I did with one of my previous vehicles, is to blank the EGR port, but in the same line weld another pipe just after it which will draw a fresh air ( obviously filtered air aswell) , thus leaving the EGR operation as normal.

Although this mod worked very well on my 2006 Landcruiser and 2010 VW tdi with zero faults and no remapping required, I'm not 100% sure if this will work okay in a BMW complex electrical systems.

In theory the system should work as expected, but I'm curios if there are some temperature limitations after the EGR, EGT post EGR and EGR cooler before and after temps.

Introducing fresh air into the egr will work as fine, but Im wondering if the Cooler and the EGR egt sensor will register low temps as a fault.
( Obviously this will only happen for example if there are preset temperature range in the ECU maps for after cooler )

For this mod I will only need a second hand EGR valve and cooler of the same number so I can blank the EGR and weld another hole for a fresh air, rather then modifying my own EGR valve.

This requires no other electrical modifications. I will include some photos later on for clarification purpose.

see my old prado thread below just for pictures info to see how this mod was created.

https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/...king-egr/page4

Last edited by xpro; 03-19-2019 at 07:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:06 AM   #90
achulio
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90 320d (N47 engine)

removal of EGR connector from socket

Gents, first of all: great thread!
I would like to get your input on how I can implement this option with removing one pin in the connector.
I have an engineering background, but still somehow I am not able to remove the connector from the EGR valve socket (yes, you can start laughing now ). The connector seems to be really stuck and I do not want to apply too much force when trying to pull it off.
In the image below you can see the EGR connector which I am trying to remove (and which contains the pin that should be removed)
The connector seems to have 2 lock mechanisms:
  • a larger one (I called 1st lock mechanism)
  • a smaller one (I called 2nd lock mechanism)

I think I have successfully pulled and unlocked the 1st lock mechanism, but the 2nd, smaller lock mechanism seems to be stuck. Consequently, also the connector seems stuck on the EGR valve socket.

Any idea and experience on how to remove the EGR connector from the socket? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #91
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Hm I never had this much trouble when I did the mod... that gray clip you show in pic #1 (#2 lock mechanism) just get a right angle pic tool and pull up to get it out (careful It might come flying out cause you really gotta pull) then it's just a regular push & pull clip. And remove the socket. I don't remember two locking mechanisms only that 2nd one.

Bmw loves those stupid clips. They're everywhere... I hate them!!!
      04-17-2019, 03:38 AM   #92
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

As I was doing egr deletes for donkeys years on my previous cars, and I was trying to come up with a solution for my 335dx LCI, ( remap is still a no go as under warranty)

I decided to try this mod. My 2p. It very simple yet very effective.
I ran the car for some 300km using diagnostic live data on every run to see what were the changes and how the car will behave.

As the hall ground wire is removed, the ECU now commands the EGR 0%value (closed) and this does result in the CEL as MAF readings of fresh air are significantly higer, but its not an active fault that gives a limp mode or constant ecu warning. ( No faults present under Vehicle status in the Idrive)

The fuel consumption has improved drastically which was to be expected from my previous experiences with EGR deletes.

The soot build up in the DPF has gone very very slow, which is a huge benefit. Meaning less regenerations required due to fresher air and less pollution by egr disable.

The exhaust temperatures have dropped by some 80 degrees Celsius solid. This is another bonus for me, as the harmful hot egr fumes are now eliminated.
( the whole factory reasoning for DPF requirements is due to EGR usage and extra pollution, which is like a vicious cycle in a diesel engine)

These are the main points really when it comes to the EGR removal.

The other two things are probably on the cons side, but for me this is not an issue.
The car takes a lot longer to warm up. As there is no hot air flow trough an EGR cooler, the heating system, gearbox oil, and all the auxiliaries are warming up a bit slower.

To give you an example. ( previously tested in the same conditions, within first 10min of drive my car would reach 80 on the coolant. Now for the same 10m it barely hits 50 ( celsius). Same for the oil.

I havent reported total time/km to regeneration yet and to see if it will be successful ( as DPF generally doesnt regen if theres any EGR/MAF faults present) so I will update on this as soonest this happens.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #93
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335D Sport

Xpro, good to hear the mod worked and hopefully the pros outweigh the cons for you.

How much of a reduction in fuel consumption have you experienced with the mod?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:58 AM   #94
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueisking View Post
Xpro, good to hear the mod worked and hopefully the pros outweigh the cons for you.

How much of a reduction in fuel consumption have you experienced with the mod?
Ok to reply to your question and to report on my testing.

The fuel consumption has decreased massively. I believe its to do with cleaner burn and no post injection whatsoever.

My usual work commute in my 16' 335d is 40km daily each way. Car was doing around 44mpg. Now its gone up to 49mpg. Same driving style, roads,etc.

But, back to my testing.

Although this mod is great, I ran into a problem when it came to DPF regen time.
My usual time to regen is around 400km. With the mod it went up to 640km. So definitively less soot build up with the EGR closed.
However, the regen started as normal, temps went up to 550 celsius and the soot was being burned of.
Post injection was now all of a sudden active again, and the EGR started to play havoc. It opened partially, even with the paperclip mod, and it stayed open trough out. The regen was now complete but the egr was still open and post injection was still keeping the temps up and the car started to misfire. In normal scenario, this stops as soonest the DPF regen is finished and soot levels reach 4 grams.
The EGR would not close the DPF process kept running even tho all to the soot was burned off. I had to stop and shut down the car to reset the circuitry and then I continued as normal. That canceled the DPF regen and EGR all of a sudden closed..

So something is not right. The DDE will cancel the DPF regen regardless after 15min of run time anyway, so if you dont pay attention to live data you probably wont notice a thing, but from my testing this is not normal and could potentially cause issues in the long term. So be careful.

I will continue testing for another cycle and see what happens.
Appreciate 3
      04-26-2019, 01:04 PM   #95
Col Mustard
Pushing Rope in the Cellar
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former - 335d Montego

Garage List
2010 335D  [9.00]
Red face

I was able to move the red retainer clip, and push the pin down.

How do I reverse it? How do I open the plastic armor around the connector to move the pin back to original location before taking it in for inspection?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 01:02 PM   #96
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpro View Post
Car was doing around 44mpg. Now its gone up to 49mpg. Same driving style, roads,etc.
So about 41MPG(US) now.That's a good gain and great mileage outright.

Quote:
My usual time to regen is around 400km. With the mod it went up to 640km. So definitively less soot build up with the EGR closed.
However, the regen started as normal, temps went up to 550 celsius and the soot was being burned of.
Post injection was now all of a sudden active again, and the EGR started to play havoc. It opened partially, even with the paperclip mod, and it stayed open trough out. The regen was now complete but the egr was still open and post injection was still keeping the temps up and the car started to misfire. In normal scenario, this stops as soonest the DPF regen is finished and soot levels reach 4 grams.
The EGR would not close the DPF process kept running even tho all to the soot was burned off. I had to stop and shut down the car to reset the circuitry and then I continued as normal. That canceled the DPF regen and EGR all of a sudden closed..

So something is not right. The DDE will cancel the DPF regen regardless after 15min of run time anyway, so if you dont pay attention to live data you probably wont notice a thing, but from my testing this is not normal and could potentially cause issues in the long term. So be careful.

I will continue testing for another cycle and see what happens.
This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have never witnessed the EGR activated after the mode but perhaps I will starting watching it again.

Does a DTC scan reveal a single 4CAE code? Maybe there is a specific condition/circumstance causing the EGR to activate or could it be caused by a difference in the US and UK DDE software? Just thinking out loud...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 01:26 PM   #97
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mustard View Post
How do I reverse it? How do I open the plastic armor around the connector to move the pin back to original location before taking it in for inspection?
Ensure the purple/red retainer is unlocked.

Position the terminal as described in the image below and push it back into the connector using a small slot/flat screwdriver or needle nose pliers. The orientation of the terminal in connector housing must be correct. If not, it will be difficult to close the lock and the terminal may not make electrical contact.

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:40 PM   #98
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So about 41MPG(US) now.That's a good gain and great mileage outright.

This is really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I have never witnessed the EGR activated after the mode but perhaps I will starting watching it again.

Does a DTC scan reveal a single 4CAE code? Maybe there is a specific condition/circumstance causing the EGR to activate or could it be caused by a difference in the US and UK DDE software? Just thinking out loud...
yes the mileage is unbelievable as there’s no post injection at all, plus the the whole engine/exhaust system runs much cooler.

My next test will be to blank the egr fully and then run the paperclip mod aswell, just the keep EGR fully shut during the regen. Will report on that as soonest the ebay blanking plate arrives.

As for DTC's there was only 1 code there originally as above. Straight after the regen another 3 codes popped up. And then after the regen and the ecu reset, the original 4CAE code came up again and its there now.

Take a look at the screen shot below, Its only from my BimmerLink as I didnt have Ista by hand.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #99
Col Mustard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335D  [9.00]
Quote:
Ensure the purple/red retainer is unlocked.

Position the terminal as described in the image below and push it back into the connector using a small slot/flat screwdriver or needle nose pliers. The orientation of the terminal in connector housing must be correct. If not, it will be difficult to close the lock and the terminal may not make electrical contact.
I think mine is a bit different (a 2010 US). It has armor on the underside of the connector, and includes a 90deg bend.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 05:40 PM   #100
Col Mustard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335D  [9.00]
Quote:
I think mine is a bit different (a 2010 US). It has armor on the underside of the connector, and includes a 90deg bend.
Pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      05-05-2019, 05:57 PM   #101
at100plus
Rep
Drives: BMW 335d

If you clear it with Protool every time you start the car will the engine light stay off for the duration of the drive so you know if something else causes a fault?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #102
DrLxus
Rep
Drives: E70 35d

Quote:
That 90 degree portion comes apart. You'll need to open it to get to the black wire.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2019, 07:20 PM   #103
DrLxus
Rep
Drives: E70 35d

Someone else mentioned this previously with no answer. I'm getting a single code, P0405, through the OBD Fusion app after doing this mod. I'm assuming this app just has a different value and it's still the 4CAE code? Everything seems fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #104
Col Mustard
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 335D  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLxus View Post
That 90 degree portion comes apart. You'll need to open it to get to the black wire.

Thanks. I'll take a look this weekend while changing out the power steering fluid.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #105
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLxus View Post
Someone else mentioned this previously with no answer. I'm getting a single code, P0405, through the OBD Fusion app after doing this mod. I'm assuming this app just has a different value and it's still the 4CAE code? Everything seems fine.
P codes are not the same - those are generic obd codes. 4CAE is bmw specific.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 09:25 AM   #106
xpro
Lieutenant
Rep

Anyway the final update on my part, bear in mind this was tested on the F30 N57 model.

This modification is not working properly, as matter of fact this is even pretty dangerous if you are not monitoring what the ECU does.

It might well work fine on the E90's, etc but not on the newer F series.

While the modification is performed, the EGR stays shut as intended and all is good.
The problem arrises when the car enters the DPF regen process.
The EGR valve becomes uncontrollable and it does things outside the parameters.

Mine fully open and stayed there causing the car to hesitate and jerk, all while the EGT temps hit some 800 celsius in the process cause of the stuck EGR while regeneration is active. Max temp I have seen during normal regen was 560 celsius.

I was lucky that I was monitoring live data, so I could stop the car and reverse the procedure.

This could otherwise end up in a car fire if not rectified. It happened so far 3 times during my testing and only during the DPF regeneration. As said this my well be confined to F series cars and newer, but It would be good to know if any other member could test it on the E series.

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      05-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #107
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Hm never experienced this on my E series but the electrical egr delete was temporary till I got actual block off plates installed. I think it should only be a temporary fix since you're still open on the exhaust side of the egr cooler, which means it's still getting hot but just hanging out in the egr cooler. Which doesn't seem like a great long term idea. Egr delete plates should be what you get or completely delete it. That's my opinion
      05-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #108
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

With the mod the egr staying shut means there is no flow through the cooler, so it doesn't get hot. My tdi was deleted but I kept the egr for warmup purposes and the cooler never got hot beyond coolant temperature after the warm up phase. No flow, no heat, just heat through touching the exhaust manifold.

This mod is good for those who have inspection and they can put it back a month before to get obd readiness.

The only issue with not blocking off the exhaust mani side is the high back pressure of exhaust could break the cooler just like it does with normal egr. But it's not going to run as hot as normal egr on, I swear!

Last edited by robnitro; 05-15-2019 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #109
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It is physically the same connector but your clip is red and your photography is much better than mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #110
torqueisking
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Anyway the final update on my part, bear in mind this was tested on the F30 N57 model.

This modification is not working properly, as matter of fact this is even pretty dangerous if you are not monitoring what the ECU does.

It might well work fine on the E90's, etc but not on the newer F series.

While the modification is performed, the EGR stays shut as intended and all is good.
The problem arrises when the car enters the DPF regen process.
The EGR valve becomes uncontrollable and it does things outside the parameters.

Mine fully open and stayed there causing the car to hesitate and jerk, all while the EGT temps hit some 800 celsius in the process cause of the stuck EGR while regeneration is active. Max temp I have seen during normal regen was 560 celsius.

I was lucky that I was monitoring live data, so I could stop the car and reverse the procedure.

This could otherwise end up in a car fire if not rectified. It happened so far 3 times during my testing and only during the DPF regeneration. As said this my well be confined to F series cars and newer, but It would be good to know if any other member could test it on the E series.

Thanks
I've been monitoring my X5d for the last 10 days including through a DPF regen and I have not witnessed any EGR activity (it is always at 0%).

Thanks for posting your feedback. I didn't realize you were testing the mod on an F30! Good for others to know it only works on the E9x.

PS. I left my EGR cooler temp sensor and pressure switch connected. I have not tested the mod with these removed. If yours are not connected, perhaps that why the EGR utilization is not staying at 0%?
Appreciate 0