E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 surging around 3000rpm constant throttle input

09-17-2021, 09:12 AM   #45
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave92N54 View Post
Well, i'm calling it fixed for now. Drove almost 200miles today and didn't seem to do it. I had the gauges up for a little while (needed GPS up for most LOL) and I did see it surge, but I used to see 13.8-15.1 or so on the AFRs, one bank after the other. When I saw it today, it was only like 14.2-14.8.
Hey Dave, is your fix still holding up?
I have not noticed this while cruising since TB replacement, but according to the recent post in that thread it does seem the rattling inside the throttle is normal. Unfortunately it's very hard to say whether it was the fix or it's just hidden itself or maybe my charge pipe wasn't seated right or who knows. This is has been quite the journey trying to solve this

I would have taken it to a shop by now if the closest competent shop wasn't a good while out of my way.
      09-17-2021, 09:48 AM   #46
stewbets
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi, '04 545i

Quote:
I have not noticed this while cruising since TB replacement, but according to the recent post in that thread it does seem the rattling inside the throttle is normal. Unfortunately it's very hard to say whether it was the fix or it's just hidden itself or maybe my charge pipe wasn't seated right or who knows. This is has been quite the journey trying to solve this

I would have taken it to a shop by now if the closest competent shop wasn't a good while out of my way.
Appreciate the update. The funny thing is that I didn't really notice my surging issue until I read this thread, and now I can't un-notice it. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything, though.
      09-17-2021, 09:51 AM   #47
Dave92N54
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewbets View Post
Quote:

Appreciate the update. The funny thing is that I didn't really notice my surging issue until I read this thread, and now I can't un-notice it. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything, though.
It really does seem to come and go for me which is incredibly aggravating. I've scoured log after log of it happening and nothing makes sense. At first I thought maybe it was something related to load control because it looked as if AFR was fluctuating in response but I have no idea. Then we have CarAbuser's theory that it's the catalyst diagnostic causing an issue.

I have a minor theory I guess I could test here. Anyone with this issue running a Stage 2 map? Wondering if their is a difference in the load control for the 2 maps since they're marketed for downpipes. I'm running 1+.
      09-22-2021, 03:50 PM   #48
georgelb
nsomneeak
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 RB 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [8.00]
There's a short run of rubber vacuum hose directly behind the oil filter housing that is prone to drying out and cracking due to the heat there. This can cause a small vacuum leak that leads to oscillation when cruising at a steady speed. I'd check for that.

RB Turbos w/ N20 TMAP Sensor | 93 Octane Protune by Cobb Plano | xHP Stage 3 | BMS DCI | STETT CP | Forge DVs | RB PCV | Helix FMIC | CP-E Catted DPs | Walbro 450 | Bilstein B12 | M3 Control Arms | Defiv Lockdown Kit | BBS CH | Michelin A/S 3+
Hixson BMW of Monroe, LA - Shady Dealer |
Appreciate 0