E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > N54 Throttle Sensitivity Discovery thread

06-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #133
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakthru View Post
Right. I sold my jb4 and running custom mhd.
I have AT trans and I8A0S.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #134
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
I have AT trans and I8A0S.
I have the same and i do full custom bin with tunerpro now including the above throttle tables, which is working very well so far.
      06-22-2019, 01:17 PM   #135
JohnDaviz
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

Quote:

My tuner won't be doing anything with the new tables until it's tested and proven.
I posted perfect base values to start with. It is working like a charm.

I am running further customized values for weeks now without issues and shifts with sport button on are brutal awesome. Donīt expect people to share their final values here though.

I donīt understand what your tuner is talking about. I thought tuning knowledge is something that you gain due experience and testing.
I tested for weeks with tons of flashes to understand.

Your "tuner" shouldnīt be working any different. Of course he will say "Bruh. I have no DCT car" ..

Unless of course your tuner is RFP. Then just wait until he can steal values or finally finds mine and adjusts 0.00x in the values.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #136
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
I have the same and i do full custom bin with tunerpro now including the above throttle tables, which is working very well so far.
I guess I need a from scratch bin or just mod the bef bins. I just need someone to help me make sure I'm adjusting the right tables to make a viable bin, like duty cycle, boost, timing a/f load, vanos, cold start, e85, pedal, etc. I can probably just use this site to help with the new throttle tables.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:33 PM   #137
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDaviz View Post
I posted perfect base values to start with. It is working like a charm.

I am running further customized values for weeks now without issues and shifts with sport button on are brutal awesome. Donīt expect people to share their final values here though.

I donīt understand what your tuner is talking about. I thought tuning knowledge is something that you gain due experience and testing.
I tested for weeks with tons of flashes to understand.

Your "tuner" shouldnīt be working any different. Of course he will say "Bruh. I have no DCT car" ..

Unless of course your tuner is RFP. Then just wait until he can steal values or finally finds mine and adjusts 0.00x in the values.
I have a great tuner but he's very cautious when it comes to safety. I need to know how to do this stuff myself though. Its a shame to have spent so much money for mhd, ib4, custom tunes and still not have a good custom open bin. I run e60+ on a nice aggressive tune but the ecu still holds back power or instant acceleration even with bmw pedal tuner. The pedal tuner does help though however, the dme still has the final say.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 01:46 PM   #138
Sgop335
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e92, 08 535i

Quote:
I guess I need a from scratch bin or just mod the bef bins. I just need someone to help me make sure I'm adjusting the right tables to make a viable bin, like duty cycle, boost, timing a/f load, vanos, cold start, e85, pedal, etc. I can probably just use this site to help with the new throttle tables.
The best bin to start from is your own original back up bin from mhd. Do you have that? Forget the bef bin.
Yes these throttle tables are relatively easy but may need some changes and john gave us a good start.
Theres a lot to the other stuff, inlets, e85, pid, etc. Guess if you need some guidance pm me.
      06-22-2019, 02:07 PM   #139
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgop335 View Post
The best bin to start from is your own original back up bin from mhd. Do you have that? Forget the bef bin.
Yes these throttle tables are relatively easy but may need some changes and john gave us a good start.
Theres a lot to the other stuff, inlets, e85, pid, etc. Guess if you need some guidance pm me.
Yes I have my bin.
Thanks!
I'll pm you later today.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 02:13 AM   #140
JohnDaviz
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
I have a great tuner
yeah.. so why is he then not researching himself on this topic? Sounds to me like he is waiting for others to do that.

So frankly speaking. This way you will never get what you are looking for as you will have to do a lot of custom tuning.

These two tables have a direct impact on your torque request map.

So lowering the values will change your throttle pedal behavior. For me it was in a negative way as not only responsiveness was increased but also the requested torque.

So i had to change my torque request maps with the values i am running.

I have heavy doubts about a MHD release any time soon as this will need tons of testing to find one solution for all.

You are better of changing your tuner to one who actually is working on those tables.
Appreciate 1
studio54201.00
      06-24-2019, 07:16 AM   #141
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah.. so why is he then not researching himself on this topic? Sounds to me like he is waiting for others to do that.

So frankly speaking. This way you will never get what you are looking for as you will have to do a lot of custom tuning.

These two tables have a direct impact on your torque request map.

So lowering the values will change your throttle pedal behavior. For me it was in a negative way as not only responsiveness was increased but also the requested torque.

So i had to change my torque request maps with the values i am running.

I have heavy doubts about a MHD release any time soon as this will need tons of testing to find one solution for all.

You are better of changing your tuner to one who actually is working on those tables.
I understand and appreciate the feedback. I actually trust my tuner so I respect his stance on safety first. It would be nice to get a custom tune open map with these tables from a trusted tuner. I have no clue who is doing this. In the mean time, I'll be learning this stuff myself and start with my stock bin. You said the throttle sensitivity effects torque request. So, we wouldn't have a need for the pedal tuner at this point. Does this table give your more instant full throttle delivery and quicker 0-60 acceleration time or is it just part throttle?
How is traction effected? Start spinning immediately or still a gradual take off first?

Last edited by brakthru; 06-24-2019 at 07:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 08:24 AM   #142
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

Too bad it's unlikely to become an MHD flash options but it makes sense...
They must have to make a lot of testing to implement this in all possible variant of the flashes like stage 1/1+ , 2/2+... different gearboxes, different fuels...

Anyone tried RFP maps here? it's a guy who provide free unlocked OTS N54 maps, it could be a good start to implement these tables inside on a bin like that ? The problem is that there aren't a lot of review. Just curious if it's close and safe as MHD maps. If it's unlocked, someone with a good knowledge in tuning may chime in?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 09:19 AM   #143
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post
They must have to make a lot of testing to implement this in all possible variant of the flashes like stage 1/1+ , 2/2+... different gearboxes, different fuels...

Anyone tried RFP maps here? it's a guy who provide free unlocked OTS N54 maps, it could be a good start to implement these tables inside on a bin like that ? The problem is that there aren't a lot of review. Just curious if it's close and safe as MHD maps. If it's unlocked, someone with a good knowledge in tuning may chime in?

Thanks
Asking Dean to add them to the RFP maps might be easier than getting them implemented in MHD. There's not much difference between the MHD OTS maps and the RFP maps anyway. The RFP ones are free and you can edit them at least.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #144
JohnDaviz
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
You said the throttle sensitivity effects torque request. So, we wouldn't have a need for the pedal tuner at this point. Does this table give your more instant full throttle delivery and quicker 0-60 acceleration time or is it just part throttle?
How is traction effected? Start spinning immediately or still a gradual take off first?
Torque Request is the Map controlling your throttle Pedal i.e. How much % Input from your Foot is translated to % Torque Request in the DME to control boost and Throttle Plate at engine.

So you can customize this with the Torque Request Maps fully. I think the Pedal tuner is some piggyback manipulating the signal. Like a workaround to the Torque Request Maps if you cannot change them. Like in a locked map for example.

Throttle Response maps change the responsiveness! There is NO power change. I am really in doubt of any improvement on acceleration times.
It just give you the feeling that the pedal is responding faster to the input. The lag between your foot input and the engine response is changed.

And now mix everything also additionally together. It is a liiiiittle bit complicated. Once you have your perfect response maps you likely reduce torque request or your car will be more jumpy (Quote: CarAbuser )

My summary. These maps are a game changer for me as a track driver. Most of the straight line drivers will never need this.

But also. These maps are only essential to enthusiasts that need that immediate response and pedal feel on the curvy country side racing or on the track (not dragstrip).

If you are an enthusiast. You need it. If you are not sure. Forget it. It will not be that important for you.

My 2 Cents about Dean/RFP. You can use those maps as a start. They do not seem to be that great also. They simply may have a little more power than the OTS MHD ones. But this is nothing hard to achieve as MHD is a business and not some garage kid.. They have to be more conservative.

Last edited by JohnDaviz; 06-24-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 11:46 AM   #145
riczon.335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i Coupe

I run RFP Stage 2 so far really good, I'll have to ask him to add these tables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studio54 View Post

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #146
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by riczon.335i View Post
I run RFP Stage 2 so far really good, I'll have to ask him to add these tables.
I tried these throttle correction tables on an RFP stage 2 tune and it worked.....but I started to get throttle body plausibility codes last week so I reverted back to a locked OTS map just to get things stable again.

The RFP maps are more aggressive feeling because he primarily maxes out the Boost limit multiplier tables to 3.0 and fully opens the throttle plate at boost onset so as to give a more immediate and urgent boost ramp up.

It's nice that you can go into the RFP bin file and customize it to your liking with tunerpro.

I am just wondering if my code for throttle body plausibility to air mass is triggered by the aggressiveness that Dean opens the DME throttle plate with.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #147
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Torque Request is the Map controlling your throttle Pedal i.e. How much % Input from your Foot is translated to % Torque Request in the DME to control boost and Throttle Plate at engine.

So you can customize this with the Torque Request Maps fully. I think the Pedal tuner is some piggyback manipulating the signal. Like a workaround to the Torque Request Maps if you cannot change them. Like in a locked map for example.

Throttle Response maps change the responsiveness! There is NO power change. I am really in doubt of any improvement on acceleration times.
It just give you the feeling that the pedal is responding faster to the input. The lag between your foot input and the engine response is changed.

And now mix everything also additionally together. It is a liiiiittle bit complicated. Once you have your perfect response maps you likely reduce torque request or your car will be more jumpy (Quote: CarAbuser )

My summary. These maps are a game changer for me as a track driver. Most of the straight line drivers will never need this.

But also. These maps are only essential to enthusiasts that need that immediate response and pedal feel on the curvy country side racing or on the track (not dragstrip).

If you are an enthusiast. You need it. If you are not sure. Forget it. It will not be that important for you.

My 2 Cents about Dean/RFP. You can use those maps as a start. They do not seem to be that great also. They simply may have a little more power than the OTS MHD ones. But this is nothing hard to achieve as MHD is a business and not some garage kid.. They have to be more conservative.
Very helpful info.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #148
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilma View Post
I tried these throttle correction tables on an RFP stage 2 tune and it worked.....but I started to get throttle body plausibility codes last week so I reverted back to a locked OTS map just to get things stable again.

The RFP maps are more aggressive feeling because he primarily maxes out the Boost limit multiplier tables to 3.0 and fully opens the throttle plate at boost onset so as to give a more immediate and urgent boost ramp up.

It's nice that you can go into the RFP bin file and customize it to your liking with tunerpro.

I am just wondering if my code for throttle body plausibility to air mass is triggered by the aggressiveness that Dean opens the DME throttle plate with.
I doubt it, seems like another issue. Setting the Boost limit multiplier tables to 3.0 is pretty normal. I dont see any changes to the way the throttle plate is opened up still at 81% max. all other dbw is still stock. Have you tried resetting throttle adaptions?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #149
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4bspinnin View Post
I was able to test the ije0s tables out on my 6at 135i. So far so good. The sensitive throttle smade more of a difference than i thought.

I set all 6at tables to 0 except reverse.
Are these values still working for you.....no codes?

I was getting Throttle body plausibility to air mass codes - but they may be for another reason.

Just wondering whether yours is still running strong?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 10:22 PM   #150
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
I doubt it, seems like another issue. Setting the Boost limit multiplier tables to 3.0 is pretty normal. I dont see any changes to the way the throttle plate is opened up still at 81% max. all other dbw is still stock. Have you tried resetting throttle adaptions?
Yes....but the codes returned a day or so later.

I am troubleshooting further into an finding an intermittent sensor issue - or the throttle body may need replacing.

But thanks for your perspective!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 02:40 AM   #151
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

I've been slowly reducing the throttle correction values in my DCT INA0S map and I'm pretty much down to 0. So far no negative effects.

The car feels a lot more nimble with these changes. This table has been the single biggest improvement to the driving experience out of all ECU changes. I can really adjust the car mid corner now.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:08 AM   #152
JohnDaviz
Private
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovernUrMental View Post
I dont see any changes to the way the throttle plate is opened up still at 81% max.
Most probably this is not a % value but degree value.

Full open throttle plate should be 90 degrees (may be it is a bit less due to mechanical design?!). As it is not at 0° at idle this may be simply 81 degree between idle and full open.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 04:36 AM   #153
studio54
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: n54

@ JohnDaviz
Does your base values are meant to be used with a DCT car ? or could it suit a 6MT too ?
If i understand, you also changed the torque request tables to smoothen all of it. Is it like using a multiplying factor on the values to reduce them evenly a bit if it's too jumpy or is it more complicated than that ?

I now i should try by myself, but I just installed TunerPro for the first time and just looking the tables on RFP maps. So I am not ready to flash anything right now

(btw flashing custom bins with MHD Flasher is like installing MHD in term of duration? ~38 minutes?)
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 05:28 AM   #154
TiAgAu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Most probably this is not a % value but degree value.

Full open throttle plate should be 90 degrees (may be it is a bit less due to mechanical design?!). As it is not at 0° at idle this may be simply 81 degree between idle and full open.
Thanks mate! Makes sense
Appreciate 0