E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3 series engine problems

06-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
Dave170
Rep
Drives: 3 series 2009

3 series engine problems

Hi, try not to make this too long.
Been having problems with misfire/ car shaking!

Had problems with half power (light came on) and occasional misfire. but received recall notice from bmw (thought see if was related). They checked car and it needed new timing chain as part of recall, however also reported problem with coil packs. Bmw did timing chain and when picked the car up it was ticking over very heavy. Took it my local garage of 10yrs and they replaced 1 coil pack (I know, don't take it there no more) still had problems. Still ticked over v.heavy when stationary

Took it to a new garage who seem decent, they swapped the other 3 coils and all spark plugs. Seemed fine..
Few days after red oil light came on.
Back to garage replaced oil sensor valve and pressure management valve plus oil change. Car drove like new, even ticked over great!

The bmw garage in Warrington did timing chain, but has v.bad reviews, was not impressed with the work they did. And speaking to ppl, apparently they have been using a very low grade cheap oil, which they should have done an oil change when timing belt work was done. Which may have explained the heavy ticking over.

However after the car driving great, problems started again after a few weeks, there seems to be a lack of power and ticking over pretty heavy again, not all time! but especially when first started (know can be normal, but doesn't seem it) and feels like the odd misfire at low revs. Other day driving at 30 in 4th gear car started to jump/misfire/cough not sure how to describe exactly.

No warning lights are on/ or been on, and not sure related but stop/start hasn't worked for a while. Sorry for long msg just hoping someone can shed any light or if had similar problems.

It's 2009 318i and with 55,000 on it
Again sorry for long msg, can't really afford to swap it and have spent quite on repairs, so don't swap it for something else with more problems! all else seems a good car still low miles!
Thanks in advance,
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #2
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

scan it and get codes first
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Northwest what! there are no 4 cylinder e90's in the US or
Canada I think so responses may be limited as this is a
90 percent or higher US board.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #4
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

What does “ ticking over heavy” mean?
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Dave170
Rep

Thanks for replies, yeah noticed high percentage US!

But looked to be best forum around for responses and advice!!

But had in the garage on Friday, there was no codes at all on the car at all! Stop start was sorted with a fuse.

But mechanic suggested put a bottle of injector cleaner (don't think there worth much tbh) in the tank and give it a good blast on motorway!

Anyway 10mins on motorway the red oil light came on again! Not been on since oil pressure switch and management sensor work was done over a month ago! Stopped car and got it back to garage! Have left it with them but will post error codes tomorrow.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, don't want to have to sell the car, but need to get to bottom of problems

**ticking over- when car is idle. My bad
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

OK, tick over = idle

What does "tick over very heavy" mean?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2019, 05:44 PM   #7
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Northwest what! there are no 4 cylinder e90's in the US or
Canada I think so responses may be limited as this is a
90 percent or higher US board.
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
Dave170
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
OK, tick over = idle

What does "tick over very heavy" mean?
When it's idle, it can shake, vibrate the car quite heavily, so it's quite rough idle but not all the time! Other times you wouldn't know the car was running
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:48 AM   #9
Dave170
Rep

Just received these codes from the garage

"HI Dave 2 codes (2C31 02 sensor) (30C1 Oil pressure static) Possibly blocked pick up pipe with timing chain guide?"

Thanks again guys

The timing chain was changed on recall notice back in November.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 09:51 AM   #10
Dave170
Rep

Just a quick update, incase this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Spoke to garage, when they was stripping it down, they found a lot of pieces of plastic in there, got to be off the timing belt, basically he thinks when bmw did the work changing the belt, they didn't do it properly!

So back to bmw to have the argument, see if they will correct it. Will post update any fixes/ etc
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #11
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave170 View Post
Just a quick update, incase this helps anyone else with similar problems.

Spoke to garage, when they was stripping it down, they found a lot of pieces of plastic in there, got to be off the timing belt, basically he thinks when bmw did the work changing the belt, they didn't do it properly!

So back to bmw to have the argument, see if they will correct it. Will post update any fixes/ etc
that should have been your first place when it didn't run properly and you got an oil pressure light.

theres a BMW warranty.
if you're not satisfied with the dealer that did the work, take it to another dealer.
the warranty for your recall work is with BMW corporate, not the dealer. BMW corporate is essentially the dealer's customer for recall work.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
Dave170
Rep

Car was returned to them the day after the works was completed. They said it was a engine coil problem, which there was a fault with tbf. Other poblem was oil light didn't come up for a long time after the work was done, guessing due to the low mileage I do and even less motorway driving. But I'm only guessing at these things, in a nut shell i ain't very good with cars 🤷🏻*♂️

But here's a picture of what they pulled out!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 11:55 AM   #13
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

looks like the iming chain guie had already disintegrated and fell into the pan.

dealer tech should have noted that the old guide had fallen apart, and taken off the pan.

have you call BMW corporate yet?
cause you obviously have an issue related to the timing chain guide recall.
is the new timing chain guide intact? That would for sure tell you that those are old timing chain pieces and the pan should have been dropped during the recal service.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
Dave170
Rep

Thanks for reply, will ask them about checking make sure it's the old belt! But just collected the car this evening, will be tomorrow for a phone call to bmw, have spent quite a bit of money trying to find problem, so will asking question in regards to that! But would you recommend phoning bmw rather than going back to the dealer who did the work?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 01:58 PM   #15
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

you may try the dealer firs, but I bet they're gonna tell you to eat it since you took it someplace else and that the pieces of plastic found in your oil pan are unrelated to the timing chain guide recall.

at that point you can plea your case to BMW corporate and see if they will reimburse you for the troubles.
I might be inclined to do so publicly on some sort of social medium with photos of the parts recovered from your engine pan after a BMW dealer recall was performed on it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2019, 03:29 PM   #16
Dave170
Rep

Perhaps! But I had a dam good reason not to take it back to them! They had it twice to sort it! But the pieces are undeniably from the timing belt (according to my mechanic) but we'll see, I'll post back how I get on with them 👍
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 06:37 AM   #17
Dave170
Rep

Spoke with service manager at bmw, seems a genuine decent fella. He didn't try deny anything. Agreed to refund cost of all repairs in full and put a new battery on the car as a gesture of good Will, along with a health check. Quite happy with, just glad (hopefully) the car is sorted now!! Thanks for the responses anyway!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #18
e90yyc
Art Collector
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi (GM-delete 6MT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave170 View Post
Spoke with service manager at bmw, seems a genuine decent fella. He didn't try deny anything. Agreed to refund cost of all repairs in full and put a new battery on the car as a gesture of good Will, along with a health check. Quite happy with, just glad (hopefully) the car is sorted now!! Thanks for the responses anyway!
That’s excellent news.

Mistakes happen but how they’re dealt with says a lot.

Glad they looked after you!