E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > CIC Nav retrofit - Potential dead unit?

05-01-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
Fraser-Z4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4

CIC Nav retrofit - Potential dead unit?

Hi guys,

Not an e90 CIC retrofit, but thought it would be worth asking here as it's a pretty active community and CIC retrofits are reasonably common.

I've retrofitted a Mini CIC system to my LCI R56 S - I assume the general control architecture is similar between the CIC systems for both cars.

I've updated the VO to remove the original Boost radio and include the new nav system and combox however nothing is turning on.

The main nav unit doesn't appear to be coming on (orange light ring around volume knob not lighting up).

The screen and the controller also aren't doing anything - no orange lights on the controller or slight change of light on the screen to indicate it might be getting power.

I've checked all of the connections and tested with a multimeter - all plugs are getting power (including Can high at circa 5V and can low at just over 0V) which I beleive is correct for the infotainment system in an idle state.

On the BMW CIC system's, if the head unit is faulty does this prevent the other linked units from powering up? I'm sure I read somewhere that the CIC master/head unit tells the screen and controller to turn on over the CAN network? Does anybody know if this is true?

Thanks
Appreciate 0