E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Evan's E61: Twin Turbo Wagon Build Log

03-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #199
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep
Drives: E61

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTSi View Post
Alot of the pics now seem broken, which is a shame.
Bummer, I guess Google doesn't want to host pics anymore which is a bummer.

In the meantime you can check it the pics on other sites. I think they work on Spool Street You can Google "Evans E61" to see the build log elsewhere.
- EOS Port Injection Manifold, Fuel-It: Stg 2 LPFP +Lines +Ethanol Sensor
- JB4, Hexon RR550s, Custom Inlet, AR DPs, 3" Exhaust, VRSF 7" IC, ER CP +Tial
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #200
DerekGates
AW E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbwsr View Post
Bummer, I guess Google doesn't want to host pics anymore which is a bummer.

In the meantime you can check it the pics on other sites. I think they work on Spool Street You can Google "Evans E61" to see the build log elsewhere.
This is exactly why Spool Street has the push for uploading content directly to the forum. Not trying to steal content but to ensure it stays around.

I used to frequent vwvortex and lost a great many DIY guides due to image hosts going down, not to mention the Photobucket debacle on this forum.

Don't get me wrong, I understand bandwidth costs money... but not having a way to get those pictures back into the posts really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #201
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekGates View Post
Don't get me wrong, I understand bandwidth costs money... but not having a way to get those pictures back into the posts really sucks.
Yea, as someone who puts a lot of time and effort constructing detailed build logs, I have zero interest in going back and re-uploading broken pic links. Thankfully I post on multiple forums so I will just take my content to those that work.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #202
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Update time! Hopefully the pics work if they don't on this forum then Google "Evan's E61" and you can find other forums I post the same content on.

In chronological order....

My buddy imported an 12' E63 AMG P30 (550hp 590tq) so naturally we got together to go for a drive, snap some pics, and do some pulls. This is the first time I have lined up to do some pulls against one of the modern power wagons.

We had a couple fun runs but our starting RPMs were all over, I was starting in 3rd everytime which put me below 3,000rpms @40mph which wasn't ideal but this gave me the jump the first couple pulls since Andrew was in even lower gears, he then started in higher gears and got the jump. In hindsight I should have been in 2nd or, ideally in 3rd with some anti-lag. Andrew was letting out a bit earlier than I was expecting but my takeaway from these pulls is:
- we both suck at roll racing, lol
- the E63 has a TQ advantage and my E61 has a stronger top end

His E63 was completely stock and my E61 is detuned to 500whp down from 550whp. Overall it was neck and neck which I was great to finally see how my E61 stacks up against one of the big boys. Once my LPFP is upgraded (again), 550-600whp + anti-lag would yield different results. I will hold my head high until Andrew gets a tune and makes 700+whp tune only. lol

Here is a link to the very poorly made video I uploaded.

Washy washy

I got an OEM cover to help protect the E61 from UV while the E39 was hogging the garage getting a manual swap and tons of other upgrades.

The slumber of the E61 didn't last long since our X5 got a flat on a road trip to AZ and of course me being me I run a rare sized tire that no-one stocks so after being towed home I uncovered the E61, racked it up, and we left the next morning for Havasu.

For a highly modified, ethanol burning, lowered, straight piped, ethanol burning, 500+whp performance wagon with very short gearing the E61 was a peach just humming along. My fiance and our 2 Australian Shepards arrived safely ...and quickly! lol

Nom Nom Nom

Parking lot pic next to a nice looking Toyota!

I would have a hard time dealing with the ride quality of 20s but for fun I mocked up the 20" Camaro ZL1 wheels I run on the X5.

Used not abused! E61 drying rack!

We bought a house and I am remodeling the garage before I move my stuff in, not much car activity at the moment but I have a nice large driveway that can fit 7-8 vehicles! Room for another project wagon?

My father in law was visiting and this was his first time in the white E61. I took him on a drive through some nice local driving roads but unfortunately my shifter snapped while downshifting into second. It was a bit of a fumble getting this thing home since I couldn't get into reverse and to get the shifter over into the 1-2 gate I needed to use the OEM lug-nut tire iron from the emergency kit white my father in-law held the steering wheel. Unfortunately he didn't get the full experience as my wagon had just reached operating temp prior to the incident but fortunately we got home safely and the shifter will be an easy fix. It made for a great story!

I am helping a guy beta test his monoball bushings for the E6X thrust arms. These are very similar to the monoballs Turner sells. He has excellent pricing and I will be sharing more info once I have them installed. Here are some pics from the builder. Custom monoballs in new Meyle HD arms. I got a set for my diesel X5 too!
Appreciate 1
Torgus3781.50
      09-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #203
marketmaster
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335

just bought a E61 535xi and using your car as a benchmark

Did you get real M5 mirrors or did you get replicas?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 06:15 PM   #204
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marketmaster View Post
Did you get real M5 mirrors or did you get replicas?
The are OEM
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 12:49 PM   #205
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

It's the 8 year anniversary of owning my white E61 and it has come a long way, most of the changes are small mechanical/functional details which are not easily seen in photos but here are some Before/After photos showing the transformation.

Moving Forward....

Got my shifter repaired by a local machine shop that tig welded it back together.

Monoball control arms arrived which included: front lower thrust arms, front lower control arms, and rear upper control arm, my rear upper guide arms are already M5 units which are OEM monoballs. So this means all the control arms front and rear are now monoballs.
Here are the front thrust arms:

Pics of the front lower and rear upper arms

My front lower bushings were beyond shot

The wagon also got new M5 front wheel bearings, they are essentially the same as RWD 535i bearings but they have 3 nubs to help locate the M5 rotors.

After the suspension upgrades I had an alignment done and boy, what a difference. Steering is sharp and the suspension feels solid and controlled. Yes, there is slightly more NVH but that is the trade off of monoballs and the upside significantly outweighs the minor downside.

One of my close friends just picked up a new-to-him F10 M5 and came to visit this last weekend. We attended a local Cars & Coffee in San Diego.

Wagons!

Up next is:
- New tie rods, new rear ball joints (steering knuckle/integral link connection), raise the front suspension a bit, and another alignment.
- M5 LSD (3.62) to M3 DCT LSD (3.15) swap. 3.62 makes for "fun" acceleration but gears a bit too short for normal driving so a 3.15 will be a welcomed change. The 3.62 M5 LSD will be fitted with a 2.65 210mm ring/pinion from a manual V12 E31 and this LSD will be used in an upcoming 535D E61 build. 2.65 will be great for the diesel engine and the 210mm diff will be strong enough to handle the 600+wtq

Speaking of the diesel E61 project, I also snagged a set of OEM 437M wheels. Here is a peek.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 07:37 PM   #206
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Woah, it's been years since I've updated this ...better get to it!

In general the E61 has been a peach. Over the past 5-6 years it's been making 500+whp and I've only done typical maintenance and some small repairs/refreshes. Last May I moved to Colorado and the plan was to ship the E61, along with my E39 project wagon but logistic companies were a bunch of smoke and mirrors so I ended up loading up the E61 and making the 1,000+mile drive out in one day, pretty rough but got it done! I ended up driving my E70 from CO back to CA to rent a Uhaul trailer and tow the E39 back to CO. I became very familiar i70 running it x4 in a handful of days!

Anyway, lots to get caught up on!

Some ignition system maintenance back in San Diego

Flooring run

Diff swap on the X5 and new o-rings (or hose I forget) on the E61

Decided to eat a belt, perhaps from my oil lines wheeping?

Pulleys and tensioners were due anyway. I did have an audible *wrrrrr* bearing noise at idle from one pulley so it was nice to get that resolved.

Picking up local tortillas for some smoked brisket and seared ahi (local from a buddy) TACOS!!!!

Random interior pic

New rotors and new tie rods

Doggo

OG vinyl wrap on window trim was ready to be replaced

...so I replaced it

Wide angle lens doesn't help the dent in the rear fender look any better, wheels look sick tho!

Thanks FCP Euro!

I have no idea when I last drained them so this is kind of worthless info but left is high-load OCC and right is low-load.

Replaced the 245/40/19 with a 255/40/19

Test fitting OEM 343M F12 fitment

Actually fitted

OOOF!

I had to get that rear fitment dialed.

There we go

I am a sucker for 5 (split) spoke designs!

Wagon love!

Finally got Swisstrax down in the SD house, juuuuuust in time for us to move to Colorado. Hope the renters like it!

"3AM start, long day of driving from CA-CO ahead of me, I better take a quick pic of my headlight output!" lol

Gas station sun rise.

Utah. Notice the engine RPMs. M5 LSD has the N54 buzzing along, definitely not geared for GT use. Geared for smiles.

No bike rack no problem

Colorado

What are the frickin chances the new gas station just down the street from my house has E85. I lucked out. At the time of this photo (Aug 2022) it was also $1.89/gallon, $2.75 now.

3AM-7PM, 5 fuel stops and 1,100 miles. Tired.

Doggo

Colorado wagon things

Garage Queen

New O2 sensors, had to pull the downpipes, what a pain. On the upside my Fuel mixture control error and rough idle after cold start has been resolved. It also resolved some throttle issues at WOT, it would never throw a code but at >50% throttle the power would cut out, come back in, cut out -super annoying but now all is well and I have since switched from my auto-tune map to my custom map so that E61 is now running at full strength for the first time since being in Colorado (7 mo). The wagon feels strong considering the elevation here.

This picture was taken on Feb 19, 2023 the day this build thread was updated so the thread is now officially up to date.
I'll do better with sharing updates! Much love forum friends.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2023, 10:21 PM   #207
Josh Hsiao
Registered
Rep
Drives: e90

Thank you for your sharing

After reading your project we do the almost same project, but we get the error code leading to power down.

retrofit the E61 535Xi, but We transplant all 535i chassis for 535xi , and delete $203 remove VSGS module, then change 535i DSC system and coding , but we also get the CF34 error code, transmission are for the RWD 535I.

May you give some suggestion to help close this error coed?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:04 PM   #208
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hsiao View Post

After reading your project we do the almost same project, but we get the error code leading to power down.

retrofit the E61 535Xi, but We transplant all 535i chassis for 535xi , and delete $203 remove VSGS module, then change 535i DSC system and coding , but we also get the CF34 error code, transmission are for the RWD 535I.

Thanks
Sorry, I am not sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2023, 03:15 AM   #209
Team503
Nerd
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Sport/Auto/Luxury

Sadly, I see no pictures, just the "no entry sign" symbol in gray. I'm in Ireland if it makes a difference.
      04-27-2023, 09:19 AM   #210
ucsbwsr
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team503 View Post
Sadly, I see no pictures, just the "no entry sign" symbol in gray. I'm in Ireland if it makes a difference.
Might be a regional thing. You can Google "Evan's E61" -I have the same thread posted on multiple sites so maybe another one works for you?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2023, 04:15 AM   #211
airliner33
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hsiao View Post

Thanks

Do you have lights on dash ? Or just error code registred on ECU ?
Appreciate 0