E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > V1 hardwiring through fusebox

03-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #89
Josh49
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acizek View Post
Josh, thanks for the info! I will try but have experience that shipping by a store is usually quite expensive...
If anyone would be willing to buy 2-3 pieces for me and ship it, I would appreciate that.
And of course pay as well paypal or whatever...

actually found some stores that would ship online - either require a minimum USD 50 purchase and/or shipping is another USD 50...

If you find a place that you can order your two or three, maybe you can have them delivered to me and I could forward them to you. These parts are not that expensive, I can't see you paying that much for them.. Keep in touch..

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #90
ettil
ugh
Rep
Drives: broken 328ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
As an FYI...one of the concerns that a BMW tech mentioned...is that if the airbag disperses, the wire could become a hazard to the passenger.

As a result...I went to the light console in the headliner for power. The V1 is mounted on the driver's visor where it has a clear view forward and back. Did the same set up on my '01 325...and worked like a charm for 6 years.

Hardwired my V1 to the fusebox today. Attempted the cord along the A piller & black flap. Saw it would interfere with airbag. Not really my first choice of install.

Carefully pried off the "airbag" button (no scratches please!) w/small flathead & used Torx driver to remove screw holding A piller trim in place. Ran cord down the entire A piller (windshield side) with itty bitty zip ties to the existing wire bundle. Cross over & drop down to fuse box. Replace A piller trim.

Should not interfere with airbag deployment (cord is tied to the airbag wiring bundle afterall) and is easily removed. :-)

Thanks to those who have come before with the detailed instructions!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2007, 03:05 PM   #91
acizek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, G30 M550d, F01 750i

Garage List
2005 330d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh49 View Post
If you find a place that you can order your two or three, maybe you can have them delivered to me and I could forward them to you. These parts are not that expensive, I can't see you paying that much for them.. Keep in touch..
josh, thanks a lot! will keep in touch incase I find a place that delivers these...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #92
JNMACE
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Coupe

I did this install today and it really looks good and is out of the way. I hate having a mess of wires or anything else in my car so much that I haven't even used my V1 since January when I got this car. I had been waiting to find a better way to install and running across this thread, almost accidentally, gave me what I was looking for. Thanks!

Oh, I used a different ground point. I will try to shot a photo to show where...no drilling is required this way.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2007, 09:53 PM   #93
SuperSperm
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi coupe

I'm about to do this install and was wondering where the fuse goes for the detector. Is it one of those fuses on the wire or is the fuse that goes into the fuse tap the one for the detector as well?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #94
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSperm View Post
I'm about to do this install and was wondering where the fuse goes for the detector. Is it one of those fuses on the wire or is the fuse that goes into the fuse tap the one for the detector as well?

Thanks in advance.
The fuse tap holds two fuses, one fuse to protect the circuit of the slot it is going into, and one fuse to protect the accesory circuit (which is your v1).

Josh

E90 325XI, MYSTIC BLUE ON BLACK/ALUM, STEP, NAV, PDC, CWP, XENON, SIRIUS, ALARM, MUD GUARDS, CLEARBRA, CHROME GRILLS AND TIPS, VALENTINE 1 (HARDWIRED), HO CERAMIC 40%, 161'S, REAR FOG MOD, LUX 4.0, BLACKLINES, OEM PEDALS, MTEC FOGS, GRUPPE-M REP INTAKE. 156'S AND RUBBER MATS FOR THE WINTER.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #95
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNMACE View Post
Oh, I used a different ground point. I will try to shot a photo to show where...no drilling is required this way.
JNMACE, any luck with perhaps posting that photo?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #96
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
JNMACE, any luck with perhaps posting that photo?

Thanks
In the photo someone posted on page 1, he tapped his own ground. There is a torx bolt to to the left that can be used as a ground. Buy an eyelet at radio shack (they're $1-2 for an assorted pack), put it on the end of the - wire, and ground to the torx bolt. Extremely easy IMO...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 09:26 AM   #97
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the photo someone posted on page 1, he tapped his own ground. There is a torx bolt to to the left that can be used as a ground. Buy an eyelet at radio shack (they're $1-2 for an assorted pack), put it on the end of the - wire, and ground to the torx bolt. Extremely easy IMO...
Yeah I figured once I get the car and rip it open down there that I'll find an easy ground place. I just figured if he had a pic of his specific location he mentioned, all the better!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #98
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I figured once I get the car and rip it open down there that I'll find an easy ground place. I just figured if he had a pic of his specific location he mentioned, all the better!
I updated my post with an edited picture from bilbarstow.. Look up^^

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #99
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I updated my post with an edited picture from bilbarstow.. Look up^^
Great, thanks. So, in that picture, why not use that torx bolt instead of drilling a new one?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #100
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks. So, in that picture, why not use that torx bolt instead of drilling a new one?
Personally, that's what I did..

Bbilbarstow added his own ground.. That works too!

Either way..

Appreciate 0
      04-11-2007, 03:45 PM   #101
SuperSperm
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 328xi coupe

Quote:
The fuse tap holds two fuses, one fuse to protect the circuit of the slot it is going into, and one fuse to protect the accesory circuit (which is your v1).

Josh
Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2007, 06:13 PM   #102
BMW335i-FX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Black/Black

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Good Post just done it today !!!!!!
      04-14-2007, 09:30 PM   #103
ren
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Thanks for the great DIY, I installed mine successfully. It was hard to take out the PDC fuse from its slot, but thanks to my girlfriend's tweezers. The next project is to install the concealed display in the ashtray (or sunglass holder if it doesn't fit in there).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #104
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erensf View Post
Thanks for the great DIY, I installed mine successfully. It was hard to take out the PDC fuse from its slot, but thanks to my girlfriend's tweezers. The next project is to install the concealed display in the ashtray (or sunglass holder if it doesn't fit in there).
I don't have my car yet to know, but I always thought there was a little white tweezer built in the box to help yank the fuses. Maybe that's not for the mini fuses though.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 08:59 AM   #105
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

FWIW, NAPA auto parts carries the fuse tap thing. My Pep Boys had them for $12 but was out of them so I checked NAPA. The guy rang it up and said "$21! Wow!" I said "uh....no, I don't want it then." so he magically reduced it to $13. ha!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #106
Josh49
Major General
Rep

Quote:
FWIW, NAPA auto parts carries the fuse tap thing. My Pep Boys had them for $12 but was out of them so I checked NAPA. The guy rang it up and said "$21! Wow!" I said "uh....no, I don't want it then." so he magically reduced it to $13. ha!
Nice...

The fuese puller is red, and is on the fuse board, fyi.. Josh

On post 96, it's the red guy right in the middle..

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #107
Hokie 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

So I tried wiring my Passport 8500 to the fusebox last night and after 2 hours had to give up. What I did was went out and bought a black phone wire. Cut the end off the wire and inside there were 4 more wires (green, yellow, red, black). Used the red wire as the power and the black as the ground. Crimped on a spade end (crimping these tiny wires is IMPOSSIBLE as they slip out too easy!) to the black one and then put it under the torx for the ground. Then I crimped the red wire to the mini fuse adapter, put in both 5 amp fuses and hooked it back up. The homelink still works but NOTHING on the radar detector. Can anybody tell me what I may have done wrong? I am pissed because it took like 5 crimps each to get the wires to stay in and even after getting everything in it still didn't work!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 09:18 AM   #108
777ER
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie 335i View Post
So I tried wiring my Passport 8500 to the fusebox last night and after 2 hours had to give up. What I did was went out and bought a black phone wire. Cut the end off the wire and inside there were 4 more wires (green, yellow, red, black). Used the red wire as the power and the black as the ground. Crimped on a spade end (crimping these tiny wires is IMPOSSIBLE as they slip out too easy!) to the black one and then put it under the torx for the ground. Then I crimped the red wire to the mini fuse adapter, put in both 5 amp fuses and hooked it back up. The homelink still works but NOTHING on the radar detector. Can anybody tell me what I may have done wrong? I am pissed because it took like 5 crimps each to get the wires to stay in and even after getting everything in it still didn't work!
It's impossible to crimp the tiny phone line wires....

here's a word of advice...go to radio shack and buy the telephone wire connectors:

Very easy to use. You strip the wire and put it in one of them, then you take the other and put it in the next hole next to the wire you want to connect. When all is said and done, just press down the red button and it will lock in good.

Found out this when replacing the garage door sensors that had been wrecked by my mother using my dad's '86 caddy

2nd option, get the V1 direct-wire power adapter:

you hardwire the standard wires to ground and the fuse tap...then you plug in a phone wire. It's like connecting a phone in your car...same way as you do it in a house.

Now where does everyone get the fuse tap for the E90? I tried to find one at a radio shack and apparently they don't carry the one for the mini-fuses...

Sedan | Poplar trim | Steptronic | Cold Package | Power front seats w/memory | Xenon Adaptive Headlights | PDC | 2008 Plate LED's | PBX | LUX v5.2
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #109
Hokie 335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i M-Sport

What I may do is just buy the direct wire kit for the 8500 from ebay. it's $13 shipped and then i'll have some bigger wires to work with and i won't be guessing which phone wires are the right ones to be using! should have done this in the first place, but i got my car on friday and wanted to knock out all my DIYs in one weekend. The M-shift knob and M-wheel went SO easily that something had to go wrong with the last DIY. Oh well, lessons learned. Luckily I can just cut off the crimp and still reuse my mini fuse adapter.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #110
ezatnova
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie 335i View Post
What I may do is just buy the direct wire kit for the 8500 from ebay. it's $13 shipped and then i'll have some bigger wires to work with and i won't be guessing which phone wires are the right ones to be using! should have done this in the first place, but i got my car on friday and wanted to knock out all my DIYs in one weekend. The M-shift knob and M-wheel went SO easily that something had to go wrong with the last DIY. Oh well, lessons learned. Luckily I can just cut off the crimp and still reuse my mini fuse adapter.
Honestly this is the way to go. You can find them for like $10 on fleabay.
Appreciate 0