E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

01-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #67
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny@COBB View Post
Is this in regards to the Stock vs 91 Octane vs 93 Octane?
Yessir. I always run 93 and I believe the posted dynos for JB and Proceed show higher hp numbers, but equal tq numbers as the AccessPORT when on 93. Just wondering what would cause their to be an HP difference when the tq is equal, because isn't hp just factored from the tq at that rpm?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #68
Dannydeleted
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycoupe View Post
Yessir. I always run 93 and I believe the posted dynos for JB and Proceed show higher hp numbers, but equal tq numbers as the AccessPORT when on 93. Just wondering what would cause their to be an HP difference when the tq is equal, because isn't hp just factored from the tq at that rpm?
Hmm...I'll have to look into that for ya and figure out the little details that would bring about this difference. We have compared a few competitor flashes where we made more torque, but they made more power. It could very well be the simple conclusion of the map itself. But I'm not 100% on that. I'll dig.

Edit: It's also like taking 2 cars, identical mods, running the same map. They may or may not make the same amount of power, but that's all dependent on the condition of the motor, and the differences within some of the tolerances. But regardless...I'll dig.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #69
RR80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
If the AccessPORT is completely uninstalled from your vehicle, then yes, your original factory-installed map is back on there and there are no traces of the AccessPORT's existence.

We do recommend that if you're taking the car in for service, to UNINSTALL the AccessPORT prior to taking it to the dealership. Then ReInstalling when you get the car back.

With all AccessPORTs, once installed to a vehicle, it will stay "married" to it until you decide to un-marry the AccessPORT from that vehicle. I'm sure I can say that we have a better track record than celebrity couples.

I'm not sure about how the OTS Stg 2+ maps will be handled, but expect something similar to how the rest of our OTS maps are currently handled in our map database. (readily available for download)
Now I am deeply in love with the cobb tuning and want to get marry with it~~ ! When will it be support euro spec 07 335i ? can I just get the hardware now and wait for the software to support that?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #70
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Hello everyone! I'm going to shotgun some answers here.

N55 support is a little ways off, so no ETA at this time.

Euro support is something we will look into once we have a full product offering (All the stage maps are out, ATP is out, ATR is likely out, etc) for the N54 in the US.

Currently only Stage 1 will be supported. Stage 1 is tuned for completely stock vehicles, however works well with intakes/panel filters/cat-backs. The stages beyond 1 (downpipes, FMICs, Meth, etc) have not been fully defined, so I can't let y'all know what the specifications of the allowable modifications are beyond stage 1.

I have a Alpha AP heading out to work on/verify 'ix' support.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #71
Dannydeleted
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@Cobb View Post
Hello everyone! I'm going to shotgun some answers here.

N55 support is a little ways off, so no ETA at this time.

Euro support is something we will look into once we have a full product offering (All the stage maps are out, ATP is out, ATR is likely out, etc) for the N54 in the US.

Currently only Stage 1 will be supported. Stage 1 is tuned for completely stock vehicles, however works well with intakes/panel filters/cat-backs. The stages beyond 1 (downpipes, FMICs, Meth, etc) have not been fully defined, so I can't let y'all know what the specifications of the allowable modifications are beyond stage 1.

I have a Alpha AP heading out to work on/verify 'ix' support.

Cheers,
Rob
My hero!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:07 PM   #72
djn04
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Any word on the 2011 335is?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #73
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

07 E92 335i

Cobb Team - I have a 07 E92 335i can I buy the Accesspoint now and then wait till you release updates for my model car or will there be a difference AccessPoint for my car so I should just wait ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #74
Boostin335
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G82 M4CX, C8, MKIV Supra

atta boy Robb.. you got many xi people waiting I've been msging and looking, and see about 14 xi people that are ready to buy.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:19 PM   #75
Dannydeleted
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Cobb Team - I have a 07 E92 335i can I buy the Accesspoint now and then wait till you release updates for my model car or will there be a difference AccessPoint for my car so I should just wait ?
Yes, the hardware for the BMW AccessPORT will be identical when the release support for the 07 335 is out. All that would be required to do on your end would be a simple firmware update Entirely up to you! ehehe
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #76
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l.
Wow just like that everything changes in the world of N54 tunes!
A new era begins 01/06/2010

Its astonishing to see how a way of doing things is changed over night
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #77
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the hardware for the BMW AccessPORT will be identical when the release support for the 07 335 is out. All that would be required to do on your end would be a simple firmware update Entirely up to you! ehehe
Awesome ! VroOOOOom !
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:30 PM   #78
ZTUNER
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 91 Z32TT, 2000 I30, 335i

Nice to see Cobb support for the 335 finally. Any chance you will be offering the race software like you do for mazdaspeed3 so we can tune our own maps ?

Harry
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #79
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTUNER View Post
Nice to see Cobb support for the 335 finally. Any chance you will be offering the race software like you do for mazdaspeed3 so we can tune our own maps ?

Harry
Hey Harry,

AccessTuner Race (ATR) is planned in the future.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #80
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny@COBB
I would anticipate a Stage 2 hardware requirement to be a turboback exhaust, mainly a modification to the downpipes.
Would Dinan Oil Cooler, Cool Air Intake, Intercooler, and Free Flow Exaust be sufficient for stage 2 and 3 to come ?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #81
blisstik
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Will there be a map for FMIC, catless downpipes with stocks secondaries and exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #82
Christian.
Rep
Drives: 1994 Subaru Impreza Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuraQ View Post
Would Dinan Oil Cooler, Cool Air Intake, Intercooler, and Free Flow Exaust be sufficient for stage 2 and 3 to come ?
Generally speaking Stage2 calibrations support vehicles with free flowing exhaust with at least one high-flow catalytic converter in the exhaust stream. Stage3 calibrations are usually intended for supporting performance hardware using an upgraded turbo.
Quote:
The measured power numbers also depends on the chassis dyno used. We employ a Mustang load-based chassis dyno which will increase the load put on the vehicle as vehicle speed increases to simulate real world driving conditions (increased vehicle speeds increase aerodynamic forces-drag on the vehicle). Dynojets and other inertial dynos do not do this so they tend to overstate higher RPM power numbers IMO.

Ideally, we would like to see some customers testing their vehicles before and after AccessPORT installation on a chassis dyno so some external verification can come from someone other than COBB. Once numbers come in from other external testers, we can start comparing power numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisstik View Post
Will there be a map for FMIC, catless downpipes with stocks secondaries and exhaust?
Much of what we do is respond to community demand. If a good number of people in the community all share the same hardware combination, then it make sense for our calibration team to focus efforts on generating calibrations for that combination. We usually correspond with the community through our forums where we will host polls to assess this information. We will be sure to let you know once some polls are up.

Christian.

Last edited by Christian.; 01-05-2011 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #83
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

I think there needs to be maps for stock guys [intake, catback]

Maps for those who also have a bigger FMIC
Maps for FMIC and down pipes.

Each of those are significant power adders for this car and it would be a waste that the tune doesn't account for them individually since not everyone that is willing to do a fmic is also willing to mess with the downpipes.

Alan
      01-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #84
PKumarM3
Air India
India
Rep
Drives: 2018 Dodge Durango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I think there needs to be maps for stock guys [intake, catback]

Maps for those who also have a bigger FMIC
Maps for FMIC and down pipes.

Each of those are significant power adders for this car and it would be a waste that the tune doesn't account for them individually since not everyone that is willing to do a fmic is also willing to mess with the downpipes.

Alan
I agree

With the power of the AP i think there should be maps for

Stock
Stock + Intake
Stock + Intake + FMIC
Stock + Intake + FMIC + Catless Downpipes

That seems to be the order of most modifications. Also mix and match - not many combinations with those 4 components

Eitherway, I will place my order the moment this is available for XIs.

Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #85
mycoupe
Banned
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe 6spd

My 07 335i is back to stock for the winter. When you get the 07 maps set up hit me up. If you'll ship it here I'll do before and after dynos and then ship it back to you just to help out really.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 12:44 AM   #86
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
Wants to test a 335xi a little bit more because in texas not many people have readily avail 335xi cars.[/B]

How long a drive to Plano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostin335 View Post
atta boy Robb.. you got many xi people waiting I've been msging and looking, and see about 14 xi people that are ready to buy.
Add me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:02 AM   #87
RR80
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

Quote:
My 07 335i is back to stock for the winter. When you get the 07 maps set up hit me up. If you'll ship it here I'll do before and after dynos and then ship it back to you just to help out really.
By the way, what's the difference between 07' and 08' 335i !? why needs difference map?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 01:10 AM   #88
Imperator
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

I don't think I'm stealing anyone's thunder anymore (right, Rob? ) but I've been using the AccessPORT on my 2010 335i for the past two days and can give you a sort of pre-assessment.

In my limited participation with pre-production testing, I can state the Stage1 maps are everything as advertised. It feels as if I've picked up 50-60HP right away with the tune and I hope to be able to prove that tomorrow with a dyno demonstration at the Plano location. Power delivery is very smooth and linear, there are no hiccups or issues with the tweaked tune. My car is otherwise bone-stock right down to the paper filter and the output feels much like the piggyback tunes we're all used to, except that the Cobb Stage1 tune feels smoother and the added rush of torque comes on very early.

Fast map switching and data logging are the immediate benefits that I enjoy most with the AccessPORT, but it also has the capability to read and clear OBD codes and provide performance measurements. The handheld can read a number of commonly-referenced parameters including RPM, load %, TPS, vehicle speed, battery voltage, MAP, oil temp, water temp, boost pressure (actual and requested), ignition timing advance, wastegate duty cycle, ambient and manifold air temperatures. I'd like to see the inclusion of knock retard, and I'm sure that will be added in later firmware revisions.

All of those values can be logged instantly with one click on the AccessPORT handheld. These parameters can be recorded for a set period of time (I'm not entirely sure of the intervals) and dumped into a .CSV file right on the handheld. All of these logs can be transferred to your PC in a matter of seconds over a USB connection using the AccessPORT manager software.

The initial extraction and write can take up to 20 minutes. During this time, you'll see several trouble faults indicated on the DIC and iDrive displays-- some of these faults might include TCU (for autos), HPFP, ABS and DCT trouble codes. Ignore these warnings--they'll disappear after the load is complete and the trouble codes will be reset once you turn the ignition off for the first time. During the initial load and subsequent map switching, you'll likely hear the in-tank fuel pump running. For those with aging cars or aging batteries, I strongly suggest connecting a battery charger to the vehicle before starting the initial load. This will prevent battery drain while the fuel pump and accessories are energized and will provide a more reliable connection to the AccessPORT by stabilizing battery voltage. After the initial load, map switching takes 5 minutes or less to complete.

I'm looking forward to additional tuning development-- we should soon see additional "staged" maps including those that support specific modifications and user-tweaks. I should be at the COBB Plano facility tomorrow to demonstrate the AccessPORT to anyone interested.

Thanks COBB!
Appreciate 0