E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > HELP! LED Interior Mess (Pics)

01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91, E93, E46, 9974CS, 997TT

HELP! LED Interior Mess (Pics)

Please help!

I bought a LED interior lighting kit from HighPerformanceBulb for my 2011 E91 Sport wagon and I'm having some major issues.

1. The front center dome light socket was pushed in to hard and it popped into the center dome light and I can't reach it. I need to remove the entire dome light but I don't know - does ANYONE know how to remove it (see pics)

2. The passenger map lights. I removed the frosted lens but I still cannot pull out the bulb (fat fingers?). I need to remove the entire map light - any help here would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #2
TC_e90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 LCI 335i

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231

Can access it from the sunroof strip OR an easier way is by unscrewing the screws behind the tabs where the sun visors snap in and pulling the peice out. The liner will drop down. Hope this helps
Attached Images

01-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
cbad335
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 335i

Garage List
Wearing nitrile gloves may help you get a better grip on the bulbs. I actually used one of the fingers from a nitrile glove as padding between needle nose pliers. Worked great, but don't squeeze too hard.

| 6MT | ZSP | ZPP |
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
TC_e90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds like you busted the socket too, here is the part number incase 63258389736
      01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Sounds like you busted the socket too, here is the part number incase 63258389736
Ah man thank you Tchao!

Question, do I have to take off each tab (left and right of the dome light) of each visor?
And once the liner drops, where do I reach in to pull it out?

Any ideas how I can take off the rear passenger map light?

Last edited by YellowMellow; 01-02-2013 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
TC_e90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
Ah man thank you Tchao!

Question, do I have to take off each tab (left and right of the dome light) of each visor?
And once the liner drops, where do I reach in to pull it out?

Ya, take each peice out. Once the liner drops, the dome clips are facing the windshield, depress them toward the dome and down to unclip the dome.

This is for the V1, but same concept. scroll down a few pics. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545
      01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #7
TC_e90
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Not sure rear map lights, i dont have those. Maybe you can stick a screw driver in the slots and pull it down like the footwell ones. Anyone else know?
Attached Images

01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
Not sure rear map lights, i dont have those. Maybe you can stick a screw driver in the slots and pull it down like the footwell ones. Anyone else know?
Those two red arrows are pointing to what holds the frosted plastic lens.
I would love to just take the entire unit out.

If ANYONE knows, thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #9
bob.g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

that happened to me a few months ago on the hpb kit too. the leds are miunted to a super fat board that can be a real bitch to make fit into the map lights and dome lights.

Anyway to solve the problem i didnt need a new socket. You need to remove the vanity mirrors by removing the screws that hold them. The front headliner will drop down a bit. Once that drops you will have a little bit of space to slide your hand in and take a peek.

You will then need to drop down that whole cluster gray (that houses your sunroof switches and map/dome lights), which is real easy. There are 2 long (and fairly sharp) metal tabs (they are at the front of the unit towards the windshield), give each of those a push and the unit will pop out.

Then take the little socket that popped out and inspect it, chances are the little metal shield that goes around the socket got dented and thats how it popped out. WIth a small pair of pliers, undent it, and plug it back into the unit. You will sort of have to twist it in order to get it back in, it has this odd way of holding in place..but once it goes in, its pretty solid. Anyway that's just for the front maps/domes, i didnt have the issue with the rear but it should be the same idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #10
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob.g View Post
that happened to me a few months ago on the hpb kit too. the leds are miunted to a super fat board that can be a real bitch to make fit into the map lights and dome lights.

Anyway to solve the problem i didnt need a new socket. You need to remove the vanity mirrors by removing the screws that hold them. The front headliner will drop down a bit. Once that drops you will have a little bit of space to slide your hand in and take a peek.

You will then need to drop down that whole cluster gray (that houses your sunroof switches and map/dome lights), which is real easy. There are 2 long (and fairly sharp) metal tabs (they are at the front of the unit towards the windshield), give each of those a push and the unit will pop out.

Then take the little socket that popped out and inspect it, chances are the little metal shield that goes around the socket got dented and thats how it popped out. WIth a small pair of pliers, undent it, and plug it back into the unit. You will sort of have to twist it in order to get it back in, it has this odd way of holding in place..but once it goes in, its pretty solid. Anyway that's just for the front maps/domes, i didnt have the issue with the rear but it should be the same idea.
THANK YOU so much Bob! My wife is irate that its not put back together. If I have any further questions, can I PM you my phone number to talk if I run into issues?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #11
bob.g
Captain
Rep

Quote:
THANK YOU so much Bob! My wife is irate that its not put back together. If I have any further questions, can I PM you my phone number to talk if I run into issues?
pm me the questions and ill do my best to get back to you asap. the only hard time i had was getting the little socket back into the unit that holds the maps/domes/switches. best way i can describe it is there is a thin sheet of metal on the socket and another on the dome unit, and you have to put the socket into the unit and twist the socket such that one sheet of metal slides under the other one and that locks them into place. there's some other pics here that show how to get the unit off http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231

dont go by the sunroof like they say in that tutorial, you wont have enough space and you will be on the wrong side, remove the vanity mirrors, its way easier that way and u wont damage anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2013, 11:40 PM   #12
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
pm me the questions and ill do my best to get back to you asap. the only hard time i had was getting the little socket back into the unit that holds the maps/domes/switches. best way i can describe it is there is a thin sheet of metal on the socket and another on the dome unit, and you have to put the socket into the unit and twist the socket such that one sheet of metal slides under the other one and that locks them into place. there's some other pics here that show how to get the unit off http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273231

dont go by the sunroof like they say in that tutorial, you wont have enough space and you will be on the wrong side, remove the vanity mirrors, its way easier that way and u wont damage anything.
Thank you Bob! I'm going to tackle the job this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #13
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

I just did LEDs a couple weeks ago such a bitch big fingers and all. I ended up using pliers to pull straight down and out the bulbs.

However tonight my hard wired detector wire came loose so I had to open up and get behind. The clips are such a bitch. Spent a few hours trying to get clips to pop open in installing the LEDs with no success despite originally installing the hardwire harness.

But then pure inspiration hit me. The clips holding the lights and panel are on the front just on the other side of the map lights if you remove the frosted cover and map light lenses you can see the silver clips through the holes.... If I could just pull them towards back of car..... So I bent a nail a quarter of an inch fished it through pulled back on clip and was looking at back of lights in thirty seconds to get in and release both clips
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #14
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I just did LEDs a couple weeks ago such a bitch big fingers and all. I ended up using pliers to pull straight down and out the bulbs.

However tonight my hard wired detector wire came loose so I had to open up and get behind. The clips are such a bitch. Spent a few hours trying to get clips to pop open in installing the LEDs with no success despite originally installing the hardwire harness.

But then pure inspiration hit me. The clips holding the lights and panel are on the front just on the other side of the map lights if you remove the frosted cover and map light lenses you can see the silver clips through the holes.... If I could just pull them towards back of car..... So I bent a nail a quarter of an inch fished it through pulled back on clip and was looking at back of lights in thirty seconds to get in and release both clips
Hey Crash... thanks for the info.

Just curious, why didn't you go the route of taking off the sunvisor clips?

Can you describe this a little more and do you think its easier than taking off the sunvisor clips: "So I bent a nail a quarter of an inch fished it through pulled back on clip and was looking at back of lights in thirty seconds to get in and release both clips"
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
bernard54321
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I E90

Garage List
2006 Bmw 330i  [0.00]
2009 328I E90  [0.00]
you know what i put in l.e.d.'s in my e90 and they work fine but if i leave them on for 5 seconds they turn off and wont turn back on until i take out my key.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernard54321 View Post
you know what i put in l.e.d.'s in my e90 and they work fine but if i leave them on for 5 seconds they turn off and wont turn back on until i take out my key.
OMG!? Is it the behavior of LEDs in general or a specific brand of LEDs?
I bought my kit from HighPerformanceBulbs
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

Quote:
OMG!? Is it the behavior of LEDs in general or a specific brand of LEDs?
I bought my kit from HighPerformanceBulbs
That's the behavior of cheap LEDs.

I'm pretty sure I recommended the HPB kit to you a while back!

If I were you, I would try unscrewing the two retaining clips under the vanity mirrors (they're hidden under plastic flaps) and then you can put your hands at the upper windshield area and reach in to the headliner and release the tabs holding the big unit in place. For the rears, I'm sure the lights come out.

Try a similar removal method to the vanity lights for your rear lights. Push the module around a little, and gently reach around with your fingers and see if you can feel any tabs. If you find locking tabs, push the module in the opposite direction and it should remove smoothly.

Also, if you're having trouble with the headliner, PM me, and I can Skype with you to show you my removal process (granted we have different cars but it's a lot easier to troubleshoot when I can "see" the problem!)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone157 View Post
That's the behavior of cheap LEDs.

I'm pretty sure I recommended the HPB kit to you a while back!

If I were you, I would try unscrewing the two retaining clips under the vanity mirrors (they're hidden under plastic flaps) and then you can put your hands at the upper windshield area and reach in to the headliner and release the tabs holding the big unit in place. For the rears, I'm sure the lights come out.

Try a similar removal method to the vanity lights for your rear lights. Push the module around a little, and gently reach around with your fingers and see if you can feel any tabs. If you find locking tabs, push the module in the opposite direction and it should remove smoothly.

Also, if you're having trouble with the headliner, PM me, and I can Skype with you to show you my removal process (granted we have different cars but it's a lot easier to troubleshoot when I can "see" the problem!)
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
bob.g
Captain
Rep

i got the hpb kit for my car and my cousins. The map lights dont stay on in my cousins 2009 335 while the car is running.. they will stay on for a few seconds and then shut off. From what i remember the problem is only when the car is on. The dome is hit or miss, but for the most part it works. All other lights work fine. i ended up having to order some bmw leds for his maps, those stay on but they arent anywhere near as bright..

i have the hpb kit for my e90 too, just havent installed them yet. the hpb kit is probably as good as it gets but they dont work right for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:13 PM   #20
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i got the hpb kit for my car and my cousins. The map lights dont stay on in my cousins 2009 335 while the car is running.. they will stay on for a few seconds and then shut off. From what i remember the problem is only when the car is on. The dome is hit or miss, but for the most part it works. All other lights work fine. i ended up having to order some bmw leds for his maps, those stay on but they arent anywhere near as bright..

i have the hpb kit for my e90 too, just havent installed them yet. the hpb kit is probably as good as it gets but they dont work right for everyone.
Have you tried replacing the ones that don't stay on from SuperBrightLeds or V-LEDS?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

I created a DIY for super easy removal of the front interior Light cluster here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post13246795
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
YellowMellow
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashoverride View Post
I created a DIY for super easy removal of the front interior Light cluster here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...5#post13246795
+1
Appreciate 0