E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d Carbon Cleaning DIY or write up?

07-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #45
What_A_D
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M
Quote:
Originally Posted by What_A_D View Post
My company recently completed a joint study with the Army corps of Engineers relating to water/alcohol injection with Diesel engines as well as the use of other fuel additives to optimize efficiency. I am hoping that I will be able to post the finished review on here but I have to wait for the final draft and approval.
Very interesting. Any chance you could at least give us a thumbs up or thumbs down to what direction the findings went?
I can say it was a thumbs up for sure. Alcohol/water injection proved very effective.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 02:21 PM   #46
dokeeffe
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

SF Bay Area Carbon Cleaning

I have a 2011 BMW 335d with 80,000 miles. SF BMW dealer wants to me $3000 for carbon cleaning. Does anyone know of a mechanic in SF Bay Area that can do this service? Or has anyone done this theirselves?

Thanks
Dan
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #47
totitan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokeeffe View Post
I have a 2011 BMW 335d with 80,000 miles. SF BMW dealer wants to me $3000 for carbon cleaning. Does anyone know of a mechanic in SF Bay Area that can do this service? Or has anyone done this theirselves?

Thanks
Dan
Minicorsa in N Hollywood does a excellent job for about a third of that. It might be worth the drive to socal to save 2K. Call them and check it out. http://minicorsa.com/
2004 Nissan Titan (big brakes, air springs)
1972 240Z (set up for road racing, autox)
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 10:52 AM   #48
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokeeffe View Post

Thanks
Dan
If you're willing to go to Fremont, check out Trackspec. Jon is the owner and he did the carbon cleaning on my 335d a few weeks ago. Waaaay less than the $3k SF BMW wants to charge...

TrackSpec AutoSports
7100 Stevenson Blvd.
Fremont, CA 93538
(510) 403-1161
http://www.trackspecauto.com/

Go to his website and click on "get a quote". Tell him you want carbon cleaning on your 335d and he'll email you back with pricing. Took a few days to do mine but I wasn't in a rush to get it back.
      12-29-2015, 12:50 AM   #49
Marin_Oil_Burner
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 335d M-sport

I talked to my tech at Sonnen BMW in San Rafael. They said that there is a chemical version that they can do now that "only" costs $500, instead of the walnut blasting. I think the tech adviser that I spoke with was Jeff Acruri or something like that.
Appreciate 1
      12-29-2015, 02:52 AM   #50
geost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin_Oil_Burner View Post
I talked to my tech at Sonnen BMW in San Rafael. They said that there is a chemical version that they can do now that "only" costs $500, instead of the walnut blasting. I think the tech adviser that I spoke with was Jeff Acruri or something like that.
Wow. BMW of Fremont quoted me $1500 for the chemical version. Far cry difference from $500... sheesh.
      12-29-2015, 04:00 AM   #51
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselRacer
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
This CBU situation is simply dire and gives me more of a reason to ditch it before my standard 50k warranty expires.

If it wasn't for the ridiculous costs of the CBU cleaning (looks like an extended warranty doesn't help), somewhat lazy transmission (8-speed ZF would of helped) and inability to delete EGR/DEF (due to my state's emissions law), this car would of definitely been a keeper.

Sorry to be a downer all the time gents but I see no clear solution other than opening that wallet and feeding the hungry hungry BMW hippo.
I'm starting to hate this tranny, my pedal response is so slow its like the thing doesn't know im ready to go, It seems im resetting this damn tranny every week. lol
Get a sprint booster fitted and the throttle sensitivity will go to levels you can only imagine. I've had mine fitted for 3 years now and only turn it off in the snow as that is the only benefit such dull and unresponsive standard throttle sensitivity has any use for at all
      02-22-2016, 06:22 PM   #52
Kengineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin_Oil_Burner View Post
Does anyone know of a BMW service bulletin on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 05:51 AM   #53
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengineer View Post
Does anyone know of a BMW service bulletin on this?
Look here:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...erience&page=2
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 12:39 PM   #54
Kengineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Mik325tds, thanks for the DIY write up and the link. I'm really curios about the potential of chemical cleaning to avoid spending 8-10 hours on this. I would really like to know what chemical setup BMW is using. I'm curious if it's pretty much the same as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjLTPCko_A
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #55
Dazza335iC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F15 35d

Garage List
2000 E39 M5 Dinan  [0.00]
2017 X5 35d  [0.00]
^ I was thinking about trying that Liqui-Moly treatment.

There are some other alternatives as well: www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAJSOsIbqyc

And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=P...&v=rFoZ6F1KESw

Last edited by Dazza335iC; 02-24-2016 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 03:55 PM   #56
Pierre Louis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza335iC View Post
^ I was thinking about trying that Liqui-Moly treatment
Please let us know if you do and how it turns out. I've asked others to post if they use this or BG for CBU.

Thanks.

PL
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #57
Kengineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

I ordered 2 cans that I should get in 5-7 days. To be honest I’m a little concerned about using this stuff with a diesel particulate filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #58
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Mik325tds, thanks for the DIY write up and the link. I'm really curios about the potential of chemical cleaning to avoid spending 8-10 hours on this. I would really like to know what chemical setup BMW is using. I'm curious if it's pretty much the same as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NjLTPCko_A
That looks like a viable option to keep your system clean after an initial CBU cleaning job with walnut shells.
I wouldn't want to run so much dissolved gunk through my engine and exhaust system. Probably isn't the best for the particulate filter either.
Then again, if you have the EGR blocked and a clean intake system, there probably isn't any need to clean the intake ever after anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #59
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
I ordered 2 cans that I should get in 5-7 days. To be honest I’m a little concerned about using this stuff with a diesel particulate filter.
I used that on my car at 40K miles and the SCR system started with an ungodly odor almost immediately then died within 1,000 miles. Coincidence does not equal causality, naturally. If your SCR has been gutted, this would not be applicable.

Last edited by Persian Whisperjet; 02-26-2016 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:12 AM   #60
Kengineer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
That looks like a viable option to keep your system clean after an initial CBU cleaning job with walnut shells.
I wouldn't want to run so much dissolved gunk through my engine and exhaust system. Probably isn't the best for the particulate filter either.
Then again, if you have the EGR blocked and a clean intake system, there probably isn't any need to clean the intake ever after anyway.
Agreed Mik325tds!

I was able to use two cans on my car. I did this in combination with a oil purge and change as well as some injector cleaner. It did seem to work but there were a few issues.

Observations:

1) I was unable to keep the car idling at 2-2.5k RPM. If I got the RPM's above 1800ish the engine would try to rev up to 4k which isn't acceptable.

2) It took me the better part of an hour to do two cans of it with spraying it with pause intervals.

3) Even two cans seems to be inadequate for what I needed (78k miles first carbon cleaning). The car does seem to run and idle a bit better but it is still throwing engine codes (mostly cylinders 1-4 smoothness regulators) and looking inside the intake with a borescope I can still see lots of carbon. Each can is 400ml of solution so about 27oz total for two cans. The BG solution is 32oz and they say it may be necessary to do two rounds of it. I also think there might be something to the 12 to 17 second pause interval with the BG system.

4) It was pretty cool to watch it slowly eat away the build up on the throttle body butterfly.

I'm going to give it a little more time as the carbon build up is porous and I did see a video where the users of the BG system say it takes a few hundred miles before the treatment is complete. That said I'm thinking that I will either be doing a walnut blasting or the BG system if I can find anyone around Seattle that does it.

Ken

Last edited by Kengineer; 03-03-2016 at 01:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:00 PM   #61
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persian Whisperjet View Post
I used that on my car at 40K miles and the SCR system started with an ungodly odor almost immediately then died within 1,000 miles. Coincidence does not equal causality, naturally. If your SCR has been gutted, this would not be applicable.
Smell or SCR died in 1000 miles?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #62
Persian Whisperjet
Kind of a Big Deal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Smell came right away, and within 1,000 miles the SCR catalyst was dead.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 06:15 PM   #63
civilator
Rep
Drives: 11 335d Sp

Quote:
Agreed Mik325tds!

I was able to use two cans on my car. I did this in combination with a oil purge and change as well as some injector cleaner. It did seem to work but there were a few issues.

Observations:

1) I was unable to keep the car idling at 2-2.5k RPM. If I got the RPM's above 1800ish the engine would try to rev up to 4k which isn't acceptable.

2) It took me the better part of an hour to do two cans of it with spraying it with pause intervals.

3) Even two cans seems to be inadequate for what I needed (78k miles first carbon cleaning). The car does seem to run and idle a bit better but it is still throwing engine codes (mostly cylinders 1-4 smoothness regulators) and looking inside the intake with a borescope I can still see lots of carbon. Each can is 400ml of solution so about 27oz total for two cans. The BG solution is 32oz and they say it may be necessary to do two rounds of it. I also think there might be something to the 12 to 17 second pause interval with the BG system.

4) It was pretty cool to watch it slowly eat away the build up on the throttle body butterfly.

I'm going to give it a little more time as the carbon build up is porous and I did see a video where the users of the BG system say it takes a few hundred miles before the treatment is complete. That said I'm thinking that I will either be doing a walnut blasting or the BG system if I can find anyone around Seattle that does it.

Ken
hi all
I am having similar issues with the carbon build up and want to do the cleaning myself, so I can use the quoted $1200 towards a meth injection system (& transmission oil change).
I have an air compressor and a walnut blaster gun with some mechanical skills.
to summarize what I learned from the threads,
- take out the intake manifold, remove everything and clean it with hot water & degreaser (I dont have pressure washer and walnut blasting is not recommended on the intake)
- swirls flaps cant be cleaned with walnut blaster so use soda blasting or wash with hot water
- throttle body and egr valve can be walnut blasted.
- the intake valves and the ports on the engine side must be walnut blasted with each cylinder adjusted to close the valves, blast and then vacuum out the walnut shells.

Please let me know if there are any missing parts or mistakes on the four items above.

Now my question is,
I think I can clean the intake manifold which seems to be very basic, but would not want to touch the intake valves side.
with this in mind, I want to see if I can first clean the intake completely, and then use Liqui Moly's spray on the valves only.

I think there are three options,
1. spray the intake valves directly while the intake is off the engine without changing the cylinder positions until all build up is clean. would this fail the DPF of the SCR systems or would the engine just burn what is left from the LM's spray? I am also considering that the build up on the valves isnt as much as the intake, judging by all the pictures that are posted on the threads.
2. just to melt the carbon build up lightly, spray the valves just a little while the intake is off, then put the intake back on, start the engine and use the LM's cleaning procedure as normal.
3. just use the LM spray cleaner after putting the clean intake manifold (&egr&throttle body) back on the car hoping it will do a better job on the valves now that it goes through a clean intake manifold.

Do you think any of these methods would work for cleaning the valves? also, would hot water and degreaser be able to clean the intake and the swirl flaps, or is there an alternative for pressure washing?

thanks a lot for all the help in advance.
Appreciate 0