E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Integrating your BMW into a "Smart Home"

07-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #1
wtF85
United_States
Rep
Drives: Really fast...

Integrating your BMW into a "Smart Home"

As noted on this forum earlier, BMW is the first auto manufacturer to release in-car integration with IFTTT (If-This-Then-That) which is an online automation service (free).

The IFTTT (If This Then That) compatible BMW Labs IFTTT widget enables your BMW to trigger actions within internet connected services and applications.

Here is a summary of my BMW Labs IFTTT Widget integration with my "Life Automation" and "Smart Home".

When my BMW X5M enters a large radius geo-fence around my house, my BMW sends a message to my house thermostat to cool my house in advance so my house is cool when I arrive, which is not always the same time of day.

When my BMW enters a much smaller geo-fence radius around my house:
- my BMW tells my garage door to open,
- tells the deadbolt to the house door to unlock,
- tells my house alarm system to disarm,
- turns on my house music sound system,
- then it triggers an automated SMS/text message to my wife to say I am at home now,
- and if after "sunset", my BMW tells certain "smart" lights in my house entry-way/mudroom to turn on,

...all right before I pull into my garage and step out of my BMW.

(When I leave the house, my BMW triggers something similar to happen in reverse.)

When I arrive into the house, I can then ask "Alexa" (Amazon Echo) to "close the garage door" for me, and if I forget to, the garage door will close itself at 9:00PM, ask Alexa to "dim the lights to 60%", "place my Domino's Easy Order" delivered pizza", and "Alexa, ask StubHub what’s happening this weekend"

I am very impressed that BMW is being so "cutting/bleeding" edge with their BMW Labs IFTTT Widget and amazed at how well my BMW now integrates into an overall "Life Automation" scheme/design.

TECHNOLOGY STACK:

Here is the technology stack I used to integrate my BMW into my "Life Automation" / "Smart Home".

BMW Labs IFTTT Widget (free)
BMW ConnectedDrive (free)
IFTTT (If-This-Then-That) Service (free)

BMW IFTTT Widget running on BMW, sends "triggers" to IFTTT online service. You create a "recipe" to tell IFTTT what to do when a BMW trigger happens like entering/exiting a defined geo-fence. E.g. your BMW enters a defined geographic radius you define on a map as part of the trigger/action.

Nest Thermostat ($250) connected to IFTTT. Create IFTTT rule that says, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, BMW notifies IFTTT, rule action is triggered, and then IFTTT tells Nest to set thermostat to 70 degrees.

Garageio ($200) garage door controller connected to IFTTT. Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Garageio to Open Garage Door.

Samsung Smartthings controller ($95) - use to network connect "smart" devices in home

Kwikset Deadbolt ($120), Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Samsung Smartthings Controller to unlock Kwikset Deadbolt. (Now using Kwikset Kevo instead, deadbolt only controlled by close proximity bluetooth smartphone and not internet connected.)

Flood Light LED ($30), Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Samsung Smartthings Controller to turn on mudroom Philips Light Bulb and Kitchen GE Dimmer.

Sonos Connect music ($250), Create IFTTT rule, when BMW enters defined geo-fence, tell Samsung Smartthings Controller to turn on Sonos music. Sonos Connect box connected to regular home stereo receiver/amplifier with local speakers and driving ceiling speakers throughout house.

Installed various "smart" dimmers, switches, and outlets. For automated control, and Alexa voice control. E.g. wife from downstairs can now tell "Alexa" in the evening to pre-heat her bed electric blanket at night with "Alexa, turn on my electric blanket", or "Alexa, set Family Room dimmer to 40%".

Amazon Echo "Alexa" ($130), used voice control all "smart" devices both directly and through Samsung Smartthings controller, and more, like ordering Pizza, or changing the Pandora/Spotify station or volume.
Appreciate 6
      07-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Only for iLemmings and only in the US.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

If IFTTT does take off, guarantee a driver will be made available via 3rd party for an existing home automation system. Will only need to program vehicles proximity into the equation then. A VPN should take care of the non USA location
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

No, thanks
Appreciate 2
      07-12-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
AIRPOWER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 6MT YMB M3, 1974 Corvette

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [9.67]
Yea all this technology is great but I think I can beat it.

When I get within a certain sound radius of my house, my wife hears the roar of my ACS exhaust and by time I am walking through the door, she is naked spread eagle on the bed.

Appreciate 1
Colinv64012.00
      07-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
dzvero
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M$4 F82

Instead of thinking how can you make your life more miserable and SHI*** with technology go plant a tree
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      07-12-2016, 03:03 PM   #7
RJVIII
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

All awesome uses. I use IFTT to turn on and off lights as I enter my loft based on what time it is/etc. The unlocking doors based on a geo-fence has always worried me a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

As an IT and cybersecurity professional, I really like the possibilities in the whole IFTTT system, but I am also very concerned about the vulnerabilities and risks inherent. Knowing what I know about vulnerabilities in any new system, I would not be installing this in my house, at least until it reaches a much better level of maturity.
      07-12-2016, 03:37 PM   #9
wtF85
United_States
Rep
Drives: Really fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Instead of thinking how can you make your life more miserable and SHI*** with technology go plant a tree
Thank you for giving me the "more technology makes us miserable" advice Mr. 2015 BMW M4 Man with 100+ microprocessors on-board.

Instead of driving a 2015 BMW M4, take your own advice and trade your 2015 M4 in for a BMW branded bicycle.
Appreciate 1
jtariq4.50
      07-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #10
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

Don't care much for the auto unlocking of doors and stuff but everything else is pretty good.

Technology just makes everything better, and it increases exponentially as well. Who cares about being lazy with mundane tasks, flipping light switches and turning the thermostat isn't going to make you less fat.
      07-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #11
bd307
Chef
Rep
Drives: Things with wheels or no wheel

Smart thermostats, smart sprinkler system, smart lighting are all good, but as soon as you mix in entrance to your property or security related smart items, I have to say no.

Someone can easily find out where you live and where you park the car. Imagine what they will do next.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:29 AM   #12
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Sheesh, tough crowd.

Obviously this isn't for everyone, and much of it isn't useful for me personally since my house is occupied the entire day. However, I think your setup is pretty neat and appreciate the fact you took the time to share the details here.
      07-27-2016, 12:55 PM   #13
Official NOCO
NoCo's Marketing Pawn
Rep
Drives: 2014 Mazda6 GT - I mean a BMW?

This seems like a lot of money to invest in something you could do yourself with little to no effort
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #14
finewayne
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

yeah save some money man, DIY method

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official NOCO View Post
This seems like a lot of money to invest in something you could do yourself with little to no effort
X2, if I could have it all for close to zero cost ok but when I look at things that would improve my life I don't see anything on the list making the top 25.

I am also skeptical of opening the garage door, unlocking the doors and turning off the security system. Seems like this automation also comes with some risks.
      07-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #16
OutlawX3M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Where do you get the IFTTT widget?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:28 AM   #17
ZigmundUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: I20 IX M60 Oxide Grey

Garage List
Just got a hybrid smart watch and was trying to do stuff the other way round. Ie get my car to ventilate when I press a button. However the only thing that seems to be available as a ‘that’ in the BMW labs is to be sent the location where I am st the time. Anyone know if there are more ‘that’ actions in the cars?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 01:31 AM   #18
RTPenland
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Many BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post

When I get within a certain sound radius of my house, my wife hears the roar of my ACS exhaust and by time I am walking through the door, she is naked spread eagle on the bed.
Yesssssssss
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 05:34 AM   #19
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Cool and all, but.... one must still wipe his own ass.

When I get to my geo fence, which is like the driveway (we have no cell service in my neck of the woods), my wife goes "Oh shit, he's home"
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 07-11-2018 at 05:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 01:42 AM   #20
Colinv6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 comp, Mexico / Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRPOWER View Post

Mine also hears my ACS exhaust but I need to get her to step up her game on the second part

Instagram c1_cdg
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:05 AM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colinv6 View Post
Mine also hears my ACS exhaust but I need to get her to step up her game on the second part
Maybe someone else in your 'hood is running ACS too...

Just sayin'
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #22
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

*cringe*

No thanks. I'll walk to my garage spot a block away...