E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Complete PNP Harness for Paddle Shifter Retrofit - A Pictorial Guide

02-27-2013, 08:49 AM   #45
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

Thanks for your hard work! Very interesting!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 01:53 AM   #46
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

I am curious as to why the harness needed to be grounded on the steering wheel?
All the other harnesses do not require a ground?

PS very well done on the write up -
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #47
aal2000
Registered
Rep
Drives: E61 LCI

Hi, does it work for e61 lci from 04/2007?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 04:27 AM   #48
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Help!

Tried installing an M3 dct steering wheel onto my 335i that doesn't have paddle shifters. I used the burger tuning harness and tried directly swapping over steering wheels buttons and all (as I know my OEM buttons don't have the extra wiring for the paddles). Problem is the shifters still aren't working at all? All the buttons are working even the M button works as the OEM diamond button. Does anyone know what is wrong here? I'm thinking maybe it needs coding to work with my 335i since it came from an M3 but then how are the buttons still working?

Any help would be appreciated...
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #49
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

DIY - Complete PNP Harness for Paddle Shifter Retrofit - A Pictorial Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhoe View Post
Tried installing an M3 dct steering wheel onto my 335i that doesn't have paddle shifters. I used the burger tuning harness and tried directly swapping over steering wheels buttons and all (as I know my OEM buttons don't have the extra wiring for the paddles). Problem is the shifters still aren't working at all? All the buttons are working even the M button works as the OEM diamond button. Does anyone know what is wrong here? I'm thinking maybe it needs coding to work with my 335i since it came from an M3 but then how are the buttons still working?

You've got the wrong buttons. Even though they look the same, they won't work with the BMS harness unless you buy the buttons they say you need on the BMS page.

I don't get why that is, but it is. I bought a sport wheel with MF buttons that worked came together from the factory with that wheel. Installed the BMS harness...no paddle joy.

I then bought another set of buttons that needed a repair. That kinda worked, but then stopped because the solder broke loose. I finally bought the set of buttons they reference, installed them today and it works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:38 PM   #50
Mrhoe
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post
Quote:

You've got the wrong buttons. Even though they look the same, they won't work with the BMS harness unless you buy the buttons they say you need on the BMS page.

I don't get why that is, but it is. I bought a sport wheel with MF buttons that worked came together from the factory with that wheel. Installed the BMS harness...no paddle joy.

I then bought another set of buttons that needed a repair. That kinda worked, but then stopped because the solder broke loose. I finally bought the set of buttons they reference, installed them today and it works like a charm.

Thanks for the response... I ended up finding the right MFB for a good price at the wrecker and everything works great. Still it is strange how the oem m3 mfb won't work as all the buttons work just the paddle shifters don't but I guess that doesn't matter now....
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 12:35 AM   #51
matamua
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e93 335i, FBO, m3 control

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matamua View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the response... I ended up finding the right MFB for a good price at the wrecker and everything works great. Still it is strange how the oem m3 mfb won't work as all the buttons work just the paddle shifters don't but I guess that doesn't matter now....
Glad you got it sorted. Much more fun with paddles.
Appreciate 0