E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mods and Warranty

10-04-2010, 05:18 AM   #89
GrossAngel
JustDoIt
American Samoa
Rep
Drives: A ranger

I am very sad to be a problem in winter car engine will still be frozen, how the car will not start, this takes a lot of time to start it!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #90
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrossAngel View Post
I am very sad to be a problem in winter car engine will still be frozen, how the car will not start, this takes a lot of time to start it!
Is there a hidden meaning to this? What is the relevance to mods and warranty?

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #91
atlharry
Second Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagMode335i View Post
Good luck with Dinan even if you wait..............
At the very least, I'll have a written contract I can refer to in court if absolutely necessary...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #92
LagMode335i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i DS2 but M OTW

Agreed, Dinan backs their product legally and willingly; sometimes just a little hard to get service for Dinan products and reflashes in remote areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlharry View Post
At the very least, I'll have a written contract I can refer to in court if absolutely necessary...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 04:39 PM   #93
Quisp
Does not play well with others
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

And sometimes itis hard to get the BMW service people to even diganose the car.
The people at Dinan have been right there when I have aproblem and have never gave me any hassles. The service departments at the dealerships will not even diagnose my car. If they do hook it up and get any codes they just say itis due to aftermarket tune and leave it theree.Iam trying toget them totell me what exactly is wrong but they give me BS. Ihave a printout of over 70 codes that the dealer did nothingabout even if there was a SIB addressing that code. I do notknow how they can say that the problem is due to an aftermarket tune when they dont even know the problem. This is the same dealership that said the reason Ihad the bulb out warnig on the dash and the code was due to an aftermkarket DRL light kit. Imagine my surprise, especially since I did not have one. I mentioned that to the S/Aand he went back to the tech and asked. Came back with something about a led light code. Still nothing I did. He went back again and this time he said that it was a false code and the problem was a shortin the tailight. Apparentlly they did not beleive mewhen I said I did not change the DRL, but never bothered to physically look at the bulb that was in the car that was 2 feet away from them. The computer said it so it has to be true.
I am about to get legal on their ass with them not diagnosing the car. The warranty is a contraxt and by them not diagnosing the car that is breach of warranty contract. They cant decide they dont want to hionor the warranty because of Dinan, they can not fix something under the BMW warranty iif the problem was caused by Dinan software but in order to do that they have to know what the problem is and since they dontr tell me what it is then i surise that they did not fiully diagnose and solve the problem..
Besides, I bought the Dinanat a BMW dealership. It was Installed by BmW techs. Now they have their own tune and dont want to work with Dinan, that is not my problem. I =bought a bw witrh a warranty, the tune does not make that warranty null and void, BMW has to hionor the warranty that came with my car.
Dinan has stood behind their product and has taken care of things the way they said they would, unlike a certain car manufacturer.
      10-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #94
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quisp View Post
And sometimes itis hard to get the BMW service people to even diganose the car.
The people at Dinan have been right there when I have aproblem and have never gave me any hassles. The service departments at the dealerships will not even diagnose my car. If they do hook it up and get any codes they just say itis due to aftermarket tune and leave it theree.Iam trying toget them totell me what exactly is wrong but they give me BS. Ihave a printout of over 70 codes that the dealer did nothingabout even if there was a SIB addressing that code. I do notknow how they can say that the problem is due to an aftermarket tune when they dont even know the problem. This is the same dealership that said the reason Ihad the bulb out warnig on the dash and the code was due to an aftermkarket DRL light kit. Imagine my surprise, especially since I did not have one. I mentioned that to the S/Aand he went back to the tech and asked. Came back with something about a led light code. Still nothing I did. He went back again and this time he said that it was a false code and the problem was a shortin the tailight. Apparentlly they did not beleive mewhen I said I did not change the DRL, but never bothered to physically look at the bulb that was in the car that was 2 feet away from them. The computer said it so it has to be true.
I am about to get legal on their ass with them not diagnosing the car. The warranty is a contraxt and by them not diagnosing the car that is breach of warranty contract. They cant decide they dont want to hionor the warranty because of Dinan, they can not fix something under the BMW warranty iif the problem was caused by Dinan software but in order to do that they have to know what the problem is and since they dontr tell me what it is then i surise that they did not fiully diagnose and solve the problem..
Besides, I bought the Dinanat a BMW dealership. It was Installed by BmW techs. Now they have their own tune and dont want to work with Dinan, that is not my problem. I =bought a bw witrh a warranty, the tune does not make that warranty null and void, BMW has to hionor the warranty that came with my car.
Dinan has stood behind their product and has taken care of things the way they said they would, unlike a certain car manufacturer.
How is it possible to have been here so long and not be able to write a coherent post?

I think you said that the dealership believes that your aftermarket tuning is causing or contributing to your problem and are refusing warranty service for that fault.

That is their prerogative and the dealership has an obligation to BMW to refuse warranty service if your aftermarket mods are causing the problem.

It actually says that in your owner's manual.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #95
mcmcallister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

when i bought my first car (non-bmw) the dealer (personaly knew) told me the only "performance upgrade" i could do was an intake and a muffler, otherwise my warranty would be "thrown in the garbage"

He told me i could also put enough bass in the trunk to blow the windows out, but that my glass wouldnt be covered
      10-22-2010, 09:04 AM   #96
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Pardon my incoherency.
What I was saying is that the service department was not fully diagnosing the problems so they could be certain that they were caused by the tune and not something else. In order for you to be able to say what caused a problem, you must first determine the problem. Once you know the problem you can then determine the cause and also the solution. I am not asking them to do work on the car if the problem was caused by a tune, but I am asking them to make sure that was the cause. I have work orders with a lot of codes and many of them were ignored even though there were bulletins specifically addressing that code.
The manual states that I can take my car to any authorized BMW dealer for service. There are exclusions to the warranty and I am aware of them but In order for them to decline warranty service they must first know what the problem is so that they can say that it is the fault of the aftermarket tune. If i show up with a service engine soon light, they can not just run the diagnostics, pull the codes without researching them and say that is due to an aftermarket tune and leave it at that. They would have to run the diagnostics first. If it came up with FC 2A17 DMTL System Error then since there is a specific SI B that addresses that Fault Code, it would be considered a known issue and not necessarily caused by the aftermarket tune. That would mean it was still covered by BMW factory warranty.
The tune does not void the entire warranty.
Is that a little clearer?

Last edited by Quisp; 10-22-2010 at 09:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:43 AM   #97
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

If anyone cares, I have a 335i that was purchased after a lease turn in, and it was chipped or tuned by the previous owner. 12k miles and 10 months later, I found out via the dealer. They acted like it was no big deal... because it was sold to me that way. I guess for BMW it depends on which side of the equation they're on. However, the car HAS had tons of problems and I think it's due to it being tuned before, so they have every right to refuse warranty work on a car that has had modifications done to it that cause it to have problems. Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #98
Quisp
United_States
Rep

Yes, if that is what caused the problem. However if a car has a tune and for an example say the HPFP goes, that is a dicey area since the fuel pump is failing in cars that are completely stock and BMW extended the warranty because they are aware that is a problem. So even with a tune that HPFP should still be covered by the warranty.
      10-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #99
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007blue View Post
If anyone cares, I have a 335i that was purchased after a lease turn in, and it was chipped or tuned by the previous owner. 12k miles and 10 months later, I found out via the dealer. They acted like it was no big deal... because it was sold to me that way. I guess for BMW it depends on which side of the equation they're on. However, the car HAS had tons of problems and I think it's due to it being tuned before, so they have every right to refuse warranty work on a car that has had modifications done to it that cause it to have problems. Makes sense.
Is the car a CPO? If so, then you probably have a few remedies.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 07:43 AM   #100
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Yes, if that is what caused the problem. However if a car has a tune and for an example say the HPFP goes, that is a dicey area since the fuel pump is failing in cars that are completely stock and BMW extended the warranty because they are aware that is a problem. So even with a tune that HPFP should still be covered by the warranty.
You can argue this both ways. Since the latest software update prevents or at the very least slows HPFP failures, the dealer can easily argue that the tune was the cause of the failure. You'd probably need a trip to court to sort this out.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 07:54 AM   #101
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Pardon my incoherency.
What I was saying is that the service department was not fully diagnosing the problems so they could be certain that they were caused by the tune and not something else. In order for you to be able to say what caused a problem, you must first determine the problem. Once you know the problem you can then determine the cause and also the solution. I am not asking them to do work on the car if the problem was caused by a tune, but I am asking them to make sure that was the cause. I have work orders with a lot of codes and many of them were ignored even though there were bulletins specifically addressing that code.
The manual states that I can take my car to any authorized BMW dealer for service. There are exclusions to the warranty and I am aware of them but In order for them to decline warranty service they must first know what the problem is so that they can say that it is the fault of the aftermarket tune. If i show up with a service engine soon light, they can not just run the diagnostics, pull the codes without researching them and say that is due to an aftermarket tune and leave it at that. They would have to run the diagnostics first. If it came up with FC 2A17 DMTL System Error then since there is a specific SI B that addresses that Fault Code, it would be considered a known issue and not necessarily caused by the aftermarket tune. That would mean it was still covered by BMW factory warranty.
The tune does not void the entire warranty.
Is that a little clearer?
Playing Devil's advocate, I could argue that if the issue is most commonly seen with a particular modification, and you have that modification then the dealership could argue - without running diagnostics - that your mod was at fault.

That said, I've found most dealerships to be pretty reasonable and will only refuse warranty service if it is clear that the mod caused the issue, the car is so heavily modded or the owner makes an ass of themselves.

Your owner's manual and that sticker in your window specifically warns against certain mods and that is what the manufacturer will point to when they deny your warranty service.

Try another dealership and remove the mods that be causing the problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #102
Quisp
United_States
Rep

I understand that the dealer can refuse perform warranty work on the areas of the car that a certain mod may have altered. I can see your point that if there is a specific problem that could only be caused by a mod then it would be easy to refuse service without a diagnosis. I do not know what problem would be so specific as to say that a mod caused it and there is no other possibility just by hearing the symptoms, but I do understand the point. The ironic thing is that the mod was sold by BMW, installed at a BMW dealership by a BMW tech and they smiled the whole time
      10-26-2010, 06:23 PM   #103
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
I understand that the dealer can refuse perform warranty work on the areas of the car that a certain mod may have altered. I can see your point that if there is a specific problem that could only be caused by a mod then it would be easy to refuse service without a diagnosis. I do not know what problem would be so specific as to say that a mod caused it and there is no other possibility just by hearing the symptoms, but I do understand the point. The ironic thing is that the mod was sold by BMW, installed at a BMW dealership by a BMW tech and they smiled the whole time
If it was a BMW Performance part and installed by a dealer then it isn't an aftermarket mod. Call BMWNA and complain.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #104
kenneymac
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is :)

Is there a dealer in so cal that will install the European Alpine retrofit kit and not void the warranty?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 09:42 PM   #105
Quiet Money
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Pre LCI 335i TiAg

Just when I was about to post a new thread, lol. JK. Good info! Im glad I got a chance to read it for myself.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #106
MikeyComputers
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6mt White/red

Garage List
2007 335i  [6.00]
are the aftermarket warranties worth it ? do they pay out?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2010, 06:51 AM   #107
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
YYYEEESSSSS. Hopefully this will stop all the "will this void my warranty" threads.:
DREAM ON!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #108
molossus
batman
Rep
Drives: 335i

good thread, very informative
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 09:52 AM   #109
Quisp
United_States
Rep

http://autos.aol.com/article/5-thing...-car-warranty/

Just saw this online, thought I would post it
      02-15-2011, 03:34 AM   #110
markpbran
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

well sometimes it seems like it's the dealer that makes it hard on us!

i purchased a cpo car and i guess they never checked the rear differential and it had no fluid so it just gave out!

i had the claim denied on the diff because i had installed wheels with an offset that didn't match bmw specs, an offset that was off by a slight amount (you would have to take measurements to notice the difference). for the wheels to put such a strain on a differential it would have also compromised the suspension.

i took it to another dealer and they just fixed it without a question!

it might be that the dealer i took it to originally has had questionable claims and the manufacturer pays closer attention to their claims, who knows.

i know of a local benz dealership where the service department would "fix" problems that were not there in order to collect the money, and benz almost shut them down. so that could be the discrepency between dealerships.
Appreciate 0