E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > %$@#&!! DIY Alignment

09-03-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

%$@#&!! DIY Alignment

Labor day. OK....been working on DIY precision alignment for my 3....difficult w/o a lift!

Level your ride....no problem. Used DIY water level; took within 1/8" with linoleum tiles like the YouTube said. Works!

Then, measure toe w/toe plates.
  • Problem: Distance measure, not angle. Must calc angle - working on accuracy.
  • Problem: Not yet ready to apply my laser string for square to centerline adj. Need to fab apparatus.

I soldier on.

Measure camber w/iPhone after calibrating w/carpenter's level. Works well but, must go back 'n' forth toe/camber/toe/camber/toe.... until both within tolerance. Car goes up and down each time....two jack stands to place....floor jack....you get the idea. PITA!

Much creativity brought to bear, devoted mostly to newly invented curses. Wife calls. Dinner chillin'. Reasonably well adj'd, I head home.

Viola! She drives sweet, powerful, smooth; very modulatable brakes coming to a stop, a major objective. Better than any vendor alignment ever done I come to Epiphany:

NOBODY cares as much about my ride as yours truly.

You betcha - true fer you, too.

S-l-o-w-l-y fabbing what's needed for comprehensive DIY alignment - detailed post w/mucho pics when satisfied.

Teaser: So far, my methods proving good....very good!

Name:  Cheers.gif
Views: 2586
Size:  5.3 KB

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 09-04-2012 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]

Definitely post a DIY tutorial when you are done.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #3
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
Ooo, I'm VERY interested in reading/trying this DIY once you're done!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
TroyDeJ
Banned
Rep
Drives: around aimlessly

why not just bring it to get aligned? it will be a lot more precise and faster to do
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #5
ajm8127
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

I used to do this with my Maxima because I had built some custom front suspension components and needed to adjust the settings more often than I wanted to pay for it.

After each adjustment to toe, make sure you roll the car back then forward a distance equal to roughly the circumference of your tires.

As long as you take your time and are patient, the DIY alignment can be uber precise.

Did you use the "fishing line" method to set toe?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Shahdog
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i mSport Sedan E90 N55

Garage List
2011 335i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY
Labor day. OK....been working on DIY precision alignment for my 3....difficult w/o a lift!

Level your ride....no problem. Used DIY water level; took within 1/8" with linoleum tiles like the YouTube said. Works!

Then, measure toe w/toe plates.
  • Problem: Distance measure, not angle. Must calc angle - working on accuracy.
  • Problem: Not yet ready to apply my laser string for square to centerline adj. Need to fab apparatus.

I soldier on.

Measure camber w/iPhone after calibrating w/carpenter's level. Works well but, must go back 'n' forth toe/camber/toe/camber/toe.... until both within tolerance. Car goes up and down each time....two jack stands to place....floor jack....you get the idea. PITA!

Much creativity brought to bear, devoted mostly to newly invented curses. Wife calls. Dinner chillin'. Reasonably well adj'd, I head home.

Viola! She drives sweet, powerful, smooth; very modulatable brakes coming to a stop, a major objective. Better than any vendor alignment ever done I come to Epiphany:

NOBODY cares as much about my ride as yours truly.

You betcha - true fer you, too.

S-l-o-w-l-y fabbing what's needed for comprehensive DIY alignment - detailed post w/mucho pics when satisfied.

Teaser: So far, my methods proving good....very good!

Attachment 745373
Wow. Bravo
Lux H8 , HID Fog lights 5k
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
CALWATERBOY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm8127 View Post
I used to do this with my Maxima because I had built some custom front suspension components and needed to adjust the settings more often than I wanted to pay for it.

After each adjustment to toe, make sure you roll the car back then forward a distance equal to roughly the circumference of your tires.

As long as you take your time and are patient, the DIY alignment can be uber precise.

Did you use the "fishing line" method to set toe?
Have but wasn't satisfied w/accuracy. Toe plates this time.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
ajm8127
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Have but wasn't satisfied w/accuracy. Toe plates this time.
It can be a pain to get the fishing line aligned correctly. I always thought about taking a couple pieces of square AL tubing, bolting them to the car and stringing the fishing line between the ends of the tube, on each side of the car. That way when you roll it around after toe adjustment, the fishing line is always aligned properly as long as you do it right the first time.

I imagine using toe plates is a much less time consuming method.

Either way, things like DIY alignments are what separate the men from the boys.
Appreciate 0