E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B12 Kit Installed - Update

09-07-2014, 10:57 AM   #45
devtec
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 6MT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch10 View Post
Any more updates on this setup? I really would like to hear how it has settled in for each of you that have it installed. Thanks!
I installed the B12 kit on my LCI E92 in June, so a little less than 3 months ago now.

I can unequivocally say that after it has had some time to settle in, I love this setup.

Handling:

When the set was first installed, I disagreed with all the other posts that said it's just like the sport suspension. In my opinion, it was significantly stiffer. I agree most with the post above that it definitely felt busier over continuous bumps, or sharp small bumps. I was disappointed with it in this aspect, and felt like I did not get what I was expecting. In terms of reducing body roll and feeling more planted/stable, it was a huge improvement, and I was very happy with it.

I switched from the stock run flats to 19" Michelin PSS (275s on 19 x 10ET38 fit with no rubbing btw), and that softened things up a bit, but IMO not as much as others have claimed, and I still wished the ride comfort was a bit better.

Fast forward a few months, and I feel like the dampers have started to break in, and have definitely softened a bit. The ride is stiffer than the stock sport suspension, but some of the original suspension's beautiful compliance is back, where it feels like the rebound just makes the suspension so soft and sticky, wanting to accommodate to changes in road surface and keep the rubber in contact with the road. Now it is also less busy over small bumps and imperfections. With that improved compliance, I would say the ride comfort is much improved, and back to within what I feel is the acceptable range. Just right, smoother than initial install. In terms of handling, it has retained its firmness, and still goes around curves like a champ with minimal body roll... stable and responsive.

Drop:

In terms of ride height, it is simply drop perfection.

The drop was minimal compared to stock sport suspension, but it did two things: the small drop did still help visually, and the drop was made even between front and rear. This last part to me is significant, since I didn't like how with many kits the front fender gap remains larger than the rear. With this kit the fender gap is even all the way around. I noticed this in pics others had posted of this kit, and is one of the chief reasons I chose it.

After about 3 months, it has dropped ever so slightly more, and is now just perfect. I wouldn't want it any more, or any less. Will try to update with some pics.

Last edited by devtec; 09-07-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #46
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
I installed the B12 kit on my LCI E92 in June, so a little less than 3 months ago now.

I can unequivocally say that after it has had some time to settle in, I love this setup.
Wow! Thanks for the detailed review. This is exactly what I was looking for. I guess my mind is made up now.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #47
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

I'm debating getting this for my 335is. Although maybe I should wait until i switch out the rft's
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 03:38 PM   #48
Laurus_CEO
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks for the review OP.In general I've found lots of good feedback about this setup for street use, but is anyone using the B12 setup for autocross and/or track? Does anyone know the spring rates? Or could someone compare this to KW V2, AST 4100, or Ohlins Road & Track?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #49
D's Bimmer
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 Xi

Quote:

Handling:

When the set was first installed, I disagreed with all the other posts that said it's just like the sport suspension. In my opinion, it was significantly stiffer. I agree most with the post above that it definitely felt busier over continuous bumps, or sharp small bumps. I was disappointed with it in this aspect, and felt like I did not get what I was expecting. In terms of reducing body roll and feeling more planted/stable, it was a huge improvement, and I was very happy with it.

I switched from the stock run flats to 19" Michelin PSS (275s on 19 x 10ET38 fit with no rubbing btw), and that softened things up a bit, but IMO not as much as others have claimed, and I still wished the ride comfort was a bit better.

Fast forward a few months, and I feel like the dampers have started to break in, and have definitely softened a bit. The ride is stiffer than the stock sport suspension, but some of the original suspension's beautiful compliance is back, where it feels like the rebound just makes the suspension so soft and sticky, wanting to accommodate to changes in road surface and keep the rubber in contact with the road. Now it is also less busy over small bumps and imperfections. With that improved compliance, I would say the ride comfort is much improved, and back to within what I feel is the acceptable range. Just right, smoother than initial install. In terms of handling, it has retained its firmness, and still goes around curves like a champ with minimal body roll... stable and responsive.

Drop:

The drop was minimal compared to stock sport suspension, but it did two things: the small drop did still help visually, and the drop was made even between front and rear. This last part to me is significant, since I didn't like how with many kits the front fender gap remains larger than the rear. With this kit the fender gap is even all the way around. I noticed this in pics others had posted of this kit, and is one of the chief reasons I chose it.

After about 3 months, it has dropped ever so slightly more, and is now just perfect. I wouldn't want it any more, or any less. Will try to update with some pics.
I agree 100% with your review. I have had my B12 kit on since April now and have logged 25000 kilometres. It is amazing. Drop is perfect and the ride and performance is spot on! Get it!!!!!!
      09-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #50
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Devtec or D's Bimmer sorry if I'm bothering, but could either of you take a quick picture of the front fender gap. I have the SP lowering perches in and I'm deciding if I should go back to stock when I install this kit. I just don't want it to be too low. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #51
JunkyardDogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is E92

Are those the B12 Pro Kit or B12 Sportline?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #52
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's Bimmer View Post
I agree 100% with your review. I have had my B12 kit on since April now and have logged 25000 kilometres. It is amazing. Drop is perfect and the ride and performance is spot on! Get it!!!!!!
I plan on installing the Bilstein B12 Prokit this month, during the installation I am going to install Eibach swaybars F/R and Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts. Do you have aftermarket swaybars or rear subframe bushings installed? I am looking to tighten everything up handling wise, but I do not want to make the ride to harsh for everyday use. I had a 2009 M3 and stock that was the perfect balance of comfort/handling.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #53
Manxman1950
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM3 View Post
I plan on installing the Bilstein B12 Prokit this month, during the installation I am going to install Eibach swaybars F/R and Whiteline rear subframe bushing inserts. Do you have aftermarket swaybars or rear subframe bushings installed? I am looking to tighten everything up handling wise, but I do not want to make the ride to harsh for everyday use. I had a 2009 M3 and stock that was the perfect balance of comfort/handling.
This is close to my setup, but I went with the E93 sway bar and left the rear stock. I also have the M3 front suspension arms and am having a Wave tracLSD fitted. I'm happy with the setup in terms of providing real improvement in feel for reasonable cost and from all reports the Wave track will be the icing on the cake
2006 Z4M roadster. Interlagos Blue, black extended leather with carbon trim. Apex EC7 8.5/9.5 x 18 rims, Strong Strut brace, KW V3s with RE rear shock mounts, Vibra Tech and Rogue engine/transmission mounts, Stromung exhaust, CDV delete.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #54
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxman1950 View Post
This is close to my setup, but I went with the E93 sway bar and left the rear stock. I also have the M3 front suspension arms and am having a Wave tracLSD fitted. I'm happy with the setup in terms of providing real improvement in feel for reasonable cost and from all reports the Wave track will be the icing on the cake
I plan to eventually get rid of the RFT (Garbage) and buy the PSS. I also want to get the LSD.

How big of a difference in road handling and ride quality did the B-12, sway and bushing inserts make? Is the ride quality harsh now? Road noise increase?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 07:34 PM   #55
snaimpally
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the review. A friend of mine in Ottawa, has an 08 335xi, and got the KW V1 coilovers and loves them so I had been looking at them. However, the B12 seems to have very good reviews so I am thinking that might be a better way to go. Cheaper, too.
      12-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #56
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

For a dedicated DD or even one that only occasionally sees a track I'd take the B12's over coilovers. I just don't need all that adjustability and the drop from the B12's is perfect IMO.
      12-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #57
Manxman1950
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM3 View Post
I plan to eventually get rid of the RFT (Garbage) and buy the PSS. I also want to get the LSD.

How big of a difference in road handling and ride quality did the B-12, sway and bushing inserts make? Is the ride quality harsh now? Road noise increase?
No increase in road noise, though the ride was a bit firmer until the shocks broke in, after about 3 months. The mod that made the biggest improvement was the cheapest - the bushing inserts! Otherwise small incremental improvements, but significant together.
2006 Z4M roadster. Interlagos Blue, black extended leather with carbon trim. Apex EC7 8.5/9.5 x 18 rims, Strong Strut brace, KW V3s with RE rear shock mounts, Vibra Tech and Rogue engine/transmission mounts, Stromung exhaust, CDV delete.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 04:12 PM   #58
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
Quote:

Handling:

Drop:

Any pics please?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #59
fredcase
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw=trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
Any pics please?
This is a 6 year old thread bump. And, the guy you quoted hasn't been around for 2 years.
Appreciate 0