E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > TCU flash suggestions

11-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #1
BuckyBeaver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Le Mans Blue

Garage List
TCU flash suggestions

For the last 3-4 years I've been using the Alpina flash on my car which for the most part has been great. There are two things I don't like about it and would like to change though. First off is the often complained about D mode with the lack of response and it being quick to get into 6th gear by 40. Secondly and more importantly, when my car is in S mode and I come to a stop, the downshift into 1st gear is abrupt and sort of rough at times since being flashed. I've searched but haven't found if anyone has had the same problem with that or not. I'd like to change to a different flash where the D mode is more like stock and where it would hopefully address the downshift issue. I haven't kept up with the forums in a while so I'm sure what the latest and greatest is. Familiar with XHP though and read a little about a new sport flash some time ago. Not looking to race the car or autocross, just have it a little sportier than stock. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
      11-06-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

The latest update for xhp customization module allows you to use stock shift maps in whatever mode you select.

I don't utilize it but it sounds like a stage 3 flash and customization module would be ideal for you, just use stock shift maps for drive mode and you're good.

Stage 3 gives you true manual mode, which is nice and id heavily suggest it over 1 or 2.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 04:28 PM   #3
335ir1r6
Rep
Drives: 335i

If I back up my stock xdf ?
Can I opened on tuner pro and change shiftmap
But .. how will upload it at tcu ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ir1r6 View Post
If I back up my stock xdf ?
Can I opened on tuner pro and change shiftmap
But .. how will upload it at tcu ?
Lol. You would use xhp to upload a custom map.

And at that point just use their map because it isn't worth screwing your trans up for the cost of a map.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
BuckyBeaver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
The latest update for xhp customization module allows you to use stock shift maps in whatever mode you select.

I don't utilize it but it sounds like a stage 3 flash and customization module would be ideal for you, just use stock shift maps for drive mode and you're good.

Stage 3 gives you true manual mode, which is nice and id heavily suggest it over 1 or 2.
Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing that the stage 3 is similar to the Alpina then. In your opinion does the XHP have smoother downshifts in S mode when coming to a stop? Any problems with your transmission yet? Just looking to keep from having overly excessive wear and tear on it. I mainly leave it in sport mode and don't get to drive it as often as I'd like with it just recently rolling over 50K.
      11-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #6
kens
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBeaver View Post
Thanks for the info. So I'm guessing that the stage 3 is similar to the Alpina then. In your opinion does the XHP have smoother downshifts in S mode when coming to a stop? Any problems with your transmission yet? Just looking to keep from having overly excessive wear and tear on it. I mainly leave it in sport mode and don't get to drive it as often as I'd like with it just recently rolling over 50K.
Stage 3 is not similar to Alpina at all, Alpina is closer to stage 1. I personally use stage 2 as my daily setting because it's plenty good enough for street driving for me and the extra discomfort of 3 is too harsh for my personal situation. 3 is really nice though if you can deal with it. There are a lot of threads regarding wear and tear, pull your adaptation values to give you an idea of the health of your trans. Stock tuning on our trans is very conservative, so there is a lot of room
Appreciate 0