E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Suspension refresh

02-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #1
Adam1990
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330I

Suspension refresh

As the title says I’m looking into a suspension refresh for my e91 as it’s on 85k miles and I want to get it back to feeling fresh again.

I’m curently looking at a bilstein b4s with eibach pro combo because I really don’t want anything harsh because our lovely pothole infested roads and hard suspension just don’t go, plus I’m not looking to lower the rear end at all (maybe 5 mm Max)

I am considering looking into koni FSD shocks as well but have no experience with them at all just bilstein b8’s, which I personally felt were too harsh on my old 118d.

I’m really asking to find out what experience people have had with either b4 shocks or the FSD’s with eibach pro springs.

With regards to the insurance, would I be right and saying that b4’s wouldn’t need to be declared as they are bassicly stock just made by bilstein?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2018, 04:00 AM   #2
RajB
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I've run Koni FSD's but not on a BM. Tbh I really liked them as they were well balanced and very compliant and matched the Eibach's well.

As for declaring, well I wouldn't inform the insurance of any shock changes as they are generally like for like in terms of spec (fitment as opposed to damping), whereas it's the springs that actually alter the ride height and hence alter from OE.
If only lowering marginally on Prokit springs I wouldn't worry too much but tbf it shouldn't really alter your premium much (if any).
      02-05-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Deadlock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d F31

Doing a refresh at the moment, just waiting for all the parts to come (335d 2008). just getting standard dampers - Sachs and mounts / bushes etc. and Ebach pro springs as they don't really go much lower than the m-sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 04:23 AM   #4
adammcf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330D

I changed mine standard M Sport shocks for B4's earlier this year as the rears had started to go. The car is still comfortable and handles slightly better. It did raise the front about 10mm but that's because my old shocks (100k miles) were done.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
Adam1990
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the inputs guys.

To keep this updated, I have pulled the trigger on some Bilstein B4S shocks this morning.

I wont be fitting them too soon as i'm gathering up all the other parts to refresh all at the same time to save on labour costs, but i'm sure these shocks with some eibach pros will be a worth while bit of maintenance to carry out.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
sleepysnake
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dec 04 built 330i

I have the B8 shocks and find them pretty hard on rough roads at lower speeds. Probably better going for the B4s.
      02-08-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Which other parts are you getting for the refresh? Arms and bushes? And more importantly which brands are the ones to go for (Meyle, Lemforder, Febi etc)?

I only ask as I want to do the same to mine when I swap my shocks for a set of B8s
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 07:28 AM   #8
Adam1990
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post
Which other parts are you getting for the refresh? Arms and bushes? And more importantly which brands are the ones to go for (Meyle, Lemforder, Febi etc)?

I only ask as I want to do the same to mine when I swap my shocks for a set of B8s
Im going to do all bushes/covers ect.. which the springs and shocks are connected to including top mounts. As for the arms I really need to get under there and have a look and see what condition they're in, but the car doesn't feel like it has any issues with the arms so might leave those for a later date.

When It comes to the brands to use I think Lemforder are the providers for BMW, minus the BMW badges so either them of Febi Bilstein I think I will use for bushes and mounts ect..

If you're doing the arms you should consider the TRW M3 arms, these were a good upgrade for my 1 series and did improve the handling quite considerably.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:00 PM   #9
richk84
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: e93 330i

I've got B4S dampers on my e93, great upgrade for a daily and not harsh at all
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 05:17 AM   #10
Deadlock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1ppy View Post

So all my parts have arrived. I ordered from here: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ parts came from Germany.

All SACHS
Dampers front and rear,bump stops, top mounts bottom mounts and inner / outer mounts.

Then got Springs from Eibach.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #11
Tr1ppy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1990 View Post
Im going to do all bushes/covers ect.. which the springs and shocks are connected to including top mounts. As for the arms I really need to get under there and have a look and see what condition they're in, but the car doesn't feel like it has any issues with the arms so might leave those for a later date.

When It comes to the brands to use I think Lemforder are the providers for BMW, minus the BMW badges so either them of Febi Bilstein I think I will use for bushes and mounts ect..

If you're doing the arms you should consider the TRW M3 arms, these were a good upgrade for my 1 series and did improve the handling quite considerably.
Thanks I'll have a look at Lemforder and the M3 arms. A lot of people suggest the M3 arms so I guess its a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm guessing the front geometry would have to be set for an M3 or somewhere between my 330i and an M3? Especially the camber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post
So all my parts have arrived. I ordered from here: https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/ parts came from Germany.

All SACHS
Dampers front and rear,bump stops, top mounts bottom mounts and inner / outer mounts.

Awesome, let us know how it feels once fitted and aligned.
I have the Eibach Pro's on my MSport and it does feel better composed and slightly more stable.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #12
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadlock View Post

All SACHS

same company i used,but ta different name,,same website layout and prices and also came from germany(buycarparts.co.uk) worth looking at them both when ordering as the discount keeps changing..one day its say 18% the next 12% and the next 10% etc etc
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 04:34 AM   #13
Deadlock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

@Tr1ppy - indeed - got mine booked in with my indy 22nd Feb.

@rasa bmw yes was flowing between the discounts :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #14
Maxlude
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D_SE_Man, F90_M5C

I've had Koni FSD on for 30k miles. With EPK springs for the last 15k miles when a rear spring snapped at 115k miles. My car is an SE. This combo has transformed my car and made me decide to keep it. Light years ahead of the standard out the factory rubbish. I also ditched the RFTs early on and am running ContiSport5 now. I've had this car for 10years now so understand it reasonable well. The ride is still firm but with a controlled compliance over the UK's knackered roads. No brake dive or accelerate squat. It's 90% there which for the modest outlay - I'm very happy with. I still have hydraulic steering. Engine is remapped, deflapped, intake leaks and DPF issues resolved. Will do 50+mpg on a long run. Would be real sad to see it go now.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 09:27 AM   #15
Deadlock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi all, so all been done.

Parts fitted, all aligned etc.. first impressions are:
very much more composed and planted, noticeable improvement in turn-in, cornering , acceleration and braking - much less crashy and a smoother drive - still avoiding potholes like the plague though...so many... really irritates me!

With the alignment, few folks say to leave for a bit, say 100 miles then get alignment done - sorry not me... when it was checked after the work was done it was way out so not prepared to drive round like that.

Now it's done i'll wait for a month then get alignment checked again.

Look wise, the car sits slightly higher all round, some say that the car needs to settle etc.. we'll see. but overall i'm happy.

The old front dampers not in a good state, but the rears "seem" to have some life left and likewise the springs if anyone wants...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 02:34 PM   #16
surrey130i
Private
Rep
Drives: 130i convertible

it should not need all that done at that mileage I've driven loads of E90' variants over the years and I have driven a few with well in excess of 160k miles on their original suspension that drive just as well as other 60k miles examples I'v had. Things like bushes, drop links, shocks wear out and get replaced at MOT time, if they have not worn out they should still perform quite well. New shocks will always make a big improvement but does not mean the old ones are junk.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #17
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Do B4's improve on the OEM Sachs set up?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2018, 05:11 PM   #18
hazkirby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey130i View Post
it should not need all that done at that mileage I've driven loads of E90' variants over the years and I have driven a few with well in excess of 160k miles on their original suspension that drive just as well as other 60k miles examples I'v had. Things like bushes, drop links, shocks wear out and get replaced at MOT time, if they have not worn out they should still perform quite well. New shocks will always make a big improvement but does not mean the old ones are junk.

I replaced my shocks for track work at 140k. The rears were completely dead, as in little finger could push them down and absolutely no rebound. The fronts tool about 2 minute to rebound after being pushed down by my thumb.

The reason you may not have noticed a difference between 60k and 160k is either because you didn't take the car over a bumpy surface (this is where you notice the lack of rebound the most) , or the fact that at 60k shocks may be done too.

Problem is it's all subjective.. if you buy a car that has done 50k but majority of the journeys have been in potholes, vs a 100k car which has lived on a pristine A road, then chancea are the 100k will have better condition shocks. Likewise if your OEM shock is a budget brand, vs Bilstein or Sachs then again the quality will prevail in higher milage cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 03:46 AM   #19
bishbosh
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Garage List
2014 BMW 335d  [0.00]
I upgraded to a bilstein b12 kit a few years ago when the car had done about 140k miles. I didn't bother changing the front top mounts which has turned out to be a false economy as they I think they are starting to fail.

So I've got to take it all apart again, going to replace the control and radius rods while I'm at it too!
      02-27-2018, 05:12 AM   #20
Deadlock
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by surrey130i View Post
your opinion and experiences. Thanks.

anyway, my old fronts are binned as they are junk. Car is riding lovely, much better than before. Very pleased
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #21
hazkirby
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawenHalo View Post
Do B4's improve on the OEM Sachs set up?
The B4 are 10% stiffer than non m sport dampers. So you get more control new vs new.
I don't know about the B4S.

B6 are the performance oriented version for non m sport and b8 for m sport - the difference being in length, but you'll see varying reviews in terms of daily driver comfort.

I track my car with B4 and Eibach pros. I was considering b6/b8 but could not justify the additional cost for my needs.

As a side note for all I can confirm the B4 on track are still superb. In addition the chassis absolutely transforms when on track, I've always been amazed at how capable it is even when it had bad shocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #22
ChawenHalo
Second Lieutenant
France
Rep
Drives: E91 330d XDrive LCI M Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazkirby View Post
The B4 are 10% stiffer than non m sport dampers. So you get more control new vs new.
I don't know about the B4S.

B6 are the performance oriented version for non m sport and b8 for m sport - the difference being in length, but you'll see varying reviews in terms of daily driver comfort.

I track my car with B4 and Eibach pros. I was considering b6/b8 but could not justify the additional cost for my needs.

As a side note for all I can confirm the B4 on track are still superb. In addition the chassis absolutely transforms when on track, I've always been amazed at how capable it is even when it had bad shocks.
I've got the raise suspension as its XDrive so was wondering fome replacement time if there was an alternative to the OEM set up...

Ran some PSS10 B16 for many years on a car that had a well prepped chassis and the quality of the Bilstein is very very good. The preparator told me no to even go near KW unless I wanted to refurb the stuff every 15k miles...
Appreciate 0