E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > 335i Free BOV DIY

04-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #23
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

ok i am saying if you want a bov just go buy one not make some cheap crap with electrical tape!!!! and boosted i did correct myself asshole in the other thread!!!! what 2 min after the fact!!! i din't have a problem so!!! and in this post i stated it isn't for me!!! the point is why be half assed on a car people had to make at least 70k to own!!! what is 700 on a bov!!! may as well have it done right not half assed!!! read the point of a post!!! obviously i don't like them for the rice reason!!! but if you must do it the right way!!! i said if you must have the noise just buy a BOV not do it half assed that was the point for thew fifth time!!! but yeah in the other post i knocked them for detonation and my misinformed knowledge but corrected myself without a problem!!!
________
Freexxxtube

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 11:57 AM   #24
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
ok i am saying if you want a bov just go buy one not make some cheap crap with electrical tape!!!! and boosted i did correct myself asshole in the other thread!!!! what 2 min after the fact!!! i din't have a problem so!!! and in this post i stated it isn't for me!!! the point is why be half assed on a car people had to make at least 70k to own!!! what is 700 on a bov!!! may as well have it done right not half assed!!! read the point of a post!!! obviously i don't like them for the rice reason!!! but if you must do it the right way!!! i said if you must have the noise just buy a BOV not do it half assed that was the point for thew fifth time!!! but yeah in the other post i knocked them for detonation and my misinformed knowledge but corrected myself without a problem!!!
I'm not trying to get you upset, I just don't want to misinform people. I agree with you 100% on doing it the right way. If you want a BOV, go and buy one for $400.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l

Last edited by BoostedBMW; 04-07-2007 at 12:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 12:08 PM   #25
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

thx boosted the ice is paved smooth like butter now!!! peace
________
Small portable vaporizer

Last edited by purplewidow; 03-29-2011 at 07:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #26
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

dude what is up with all the exclamation marks? Its like TALKING IN CAPS ALL THE TIME LIKE THIS. Makes people thing you are really hyper if you leave the !!! at the end of every sentence.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #27
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Ghost of M3LTDOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
Half assed? This isn't rocket science, but I actually went out and looked for plugs to fit as perfect as possible to the original hose clamp, I only made sure they stayed sealed with the electrical tape. Point being is that if you want to have an adaptor to fit that plug, you need to contact the plug manufacturer Twist II and have them custom make you a plug for it with dimensions you have to specify. I work full time, and go to college full time, I dont have the time to custom make some plugs to fit it.

BUT, I make perfectly sure that the plugs I used would fit and do the job.

You can do exactly what you pay $750 for at AA, for almost free with the equipment already on your car. So go ahead an buy the AA one if you must. Don't try and tell me what I am doing is crap because you neither have the brains nor the balls to do it yourself.

You make the owners of Active Autowerke rich. They are laughing all the way to the bank with your money.
      04-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #28
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
Unless i'm not understanding correctly what he did, you won't have to worry about anything that you listed there because the diverter valves are still doing the same job that they have been doing except they are just venting to the atmosphere instead of placing that same air back into the intake plumbing. Turbo's don't need that extra air to function, when that air is vented the turbo's are still spinning without any interference. Basically, if you like the sound go for it because it won't hurt anything.

Actually, you DO have to worry about the things that I posted.

Like I said, the diverter valve is calibrated to open at a specific pressure difference.

The pressure in the intake tubing is less than Atmospheric, so the valve is opening at a different time.

You can do anything you like, I'm just giving my opinion, based on technical knowledge of the N54 engine, and turbo engines in general.

Think of it this way:

BMW spent untold MILLIONS of dollars engineering this car.

You want to change what's up just to hear the blow off?

seems to me that's a tad foolish. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear BOV's. But I think if you're going to do it, at least BUY a product that has a little engineering behind it, like a real BOV. You don't need to buy the most expensive one, but something that's had some testing on this car is a plus.

This is kind of like the guys who used to mod their late 80's turbo supras.

There was a specific mod that went around, a lot like this one, that had negative effects. Owners used to bash in the top of their stock diverter valve, because then it would blow off to atmo and sound like a SWEET SSQ. Sounded AWESOME. And it was free.

Too bad they were leaking boost, and losing performance.

Just do it right. This is a high class, heavily engineered, extremely powerful peice of German brain power.

This is NOT an entry level econobox that you have to mod cheaply because you're too broke. If you're going to mod your BMW, do it RIGHT.

Not with plugs and e-tape, and bypassing engineering that cost more than I'll probably make in my lifetime.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #29
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post

Like I said, the diverter valve is calibrated to open at a specific pressure difference.

The pressure in the intake tubing is less than Atmospheric, so the valve is opening at a different time.

You can do anything you like, I'm just giving my opinion, based on technical knowledge of the N54 engine, and turbo engines in general.

Think of it this way:

seems to me that's a tad foolish. Don't get me wrong, I love to hear BOV's. But I think if you're going to do it, at least BUY a product that has a little engineering behind it, like a real BOV. You don't need to buy the most expensive one, but something that's had some testing on this car is a plus.

There was a specific mod that went around, a lot like this one, that had negative effects. Owners used to bash in the top of their stock diverter valve, because then it would blow off to atmo and sound like a SWEET SSQ. Sounded AWESOME. And it was free.

Just do it right. This is a high class, heavily engineered, extremely powerful peice of German brain power.

This is NOT an entry level econobox that you have to mod cheaply because you're too broke. If you're going to mod your BMW, do it RIGHT.

Not with plugs and e-tape, and bypassing engineering that cost more than I'll probably make in my lifetime.
This mod only changes where the excess pressurized air is released. Instead of going back in the intake, it is released into the atmosphere. Nothing more!

The valves only go one way, so there is no danger of taking in unfiltered air. The pressure in the intake tubing after the turbocharger is higher than atmospheric as soon as you step on the gas. The only place with constant less pressure than the outside atmosphere are the pre compression ducts. That is why the exposed plugs must be sealed, because the turbos create vacuum there to build boost towards the intake manifold.

I've paid for my fair share of mods. But honestly this is so simple it just doesn't make sense (for me) to pay so much money to do it.
      04-07-2007, 02:19 PM   #30
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt View Post

Think of it this way:

Uhhhh.... the diverter valves are still opening when the throttle body closes, they just aren't routing back into the intake. I wouldn't do this mod to my car so you don't have to lecture me on BMW engineering. I'm NOT disagreeing with you as far as doing things the right and wrong way, but at the same time a VTA BOV doesn't do anything magical either. It will function the same way as disconnecting and plugging where your diverter valves were plumbed back into. Instead of doing it with rubber plugs and electrical tape you would have a solid pipe. If I wanted a BOV, I would pay for one, but what he has setup won't hurt anything since the valves still function the same.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #31
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Star Rising View Post
This mod only changes where the excess pressurized air is released. Instead of going back in the intake, it is released into the atmosphere. Nothing more!
i was going to say, i believe the sensor, or more accuratly the vacum line is still in place? its seperate from the diverter hose correct? so its still releasing air at the same time, the only diffrence is its not going back into the intake

and honestly, about the BOVs people are selling being "tested" dont give me that shit, they figured out if they worked and thats it, they didnt pay any attention to if its realasing pressure at the same time as stock or if it made a diffrence, they just used what they already had, made it so it fit on the 335 and sold it

i meen i wouldnt do this (well i might do it out of curiousity but i would probably change it back), nor would i get i BOV, but it seems the only diffrence is this being ghetto; and some tard dropping tape into their turbo

you know when you cut off a little piece of straw and then cut it at an angle at the end and blow into it it makes that wizzing sound? you should stick one of those on there lol
      04-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #32
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Why does everyone think that AA's BOV is the endallbeall at $700? Clearly there are others available on the Sponsors threads that are only $400. At that price with all the piping, I think its fair.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #33
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep

Vacuum line is separate.

LOL would you guys like it if I had some custom caps made??? Would that make it more acceptable?? Maybe I should and sell you all the kit for $500. LOLZZZZ
      04-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #34
teknochild
Your resident 4um troll
Rep
Drives: 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Star Rising View Post
Vacuum line is separate.
and that ends that

but seriously, im telling you, a piece of a straw cut at an angle

OOOOO better yet, the mouth of a balloon, you know WIZZZ

(funny how i can defend and flame someone at the same time :rocks: )
      04-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #35
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

Here is one for ya. Ive officially made this even cheaper buwhaha. Instead of taking $0.25 for the pipe caps, throw tape around the outlet then use the black cap off a quart of oil and thread it on. Its a much tighter fit as well.

And completely free hahahah.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #36
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep

In the end, a blow off valve is the same thing the car already has. I am sure when running more boost, an HKS or other BOV is going to have a more appropriate spring rate and what not, but other than that its not really different.

You think AA really does some sort of rocket science with it? They replaced that section of piping and stamped their name and a $750 price tag.

EDIT: I also used the materials because I do want this to be 100% reversible to stock, and easily. 3 minutes and my car is back the way it was before.
      04-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #37
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3to335 View Post
Here is one for ya. Ive officially made this even cheaper buwhaha. Instead of taking $0.25 for the pipe caps, throw tape around the outlet then use the black cap off a quart of oil and thread it on. Its a much tighter fit as well.

I would go for the pipe caps. Whatever you do make sure its sealed well.

How's it sound?
      04-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #38
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

You pay for iForged wheels... but you want a free BOV ?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #39
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

not done yet, i went ahead and took off the bulkhead plastic piece and that took some time.

Rix, this crap is coming off TOMORROW! hahah, trust me, I will have a real BOV as soon as possible
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #40
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
You guys don't seem to fathom what I'm saying about when the diverter opens. You seem to be under the impression that it just opens right away every time you take your foot off the gas... but there's more to it than that.

I'm not going to bother explaining, since I'm falling on deaf and selectively-cheap ears.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #41
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

Eh, what was I supposed to notice. Crap, that was a waste of time
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #42
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep

///Matt... It really shouldent matter as the valve is working the way it was before, except that its not plugged back into the intake...it just vents to the atmosphere.
      04-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #43
Red Star Rising
Dealer of Decadence
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Eh, what was I supposed to notice. Crap, that was a waste of time
I can hear mine just fine. The sound comes from the open end of the hoses.
      04-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #44
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep

How much throttle are you giving it to notice? I just started the car up and gave her a few revs no higher then 5k. Its only got 600 miles on it

I just wanted to hear something, then go ahead and rip it back off again
Appreciate 0