E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Help Camshaft installation faulty

05-31-2017, 08:57 AM   #1
NoCandy4Yuh
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Coupe

Help Camshaft installation faulty

Hi Guys,

I have a 2011 335i xi with the n55 engine. For the past month or so the car's been idling funny. It'll drop to 400RPM then raise to 1200RPM, it'll stumble often like its going to stall and sometimes it'll actually stall.

I have a MHD tune on the car and thought it might be software related so i flashed back to stock and reset all the adaptions.

Now I get these 3 codes and the car goes into limp mode.

2C58 - Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequence
3011 - Intake Camshaft: Installation faulty.
3012 - Exhaust Camshaft: Installation faulty.

If I clear the codes they'll resurface every time I restart the car

I haven't installing anything new, do you think it could be the camshaft sensors? I just think it's odd both sensors are having issues at the same time.
But it could explain why it was idling funny.

Just wanted some advice before I go to the mechanic and they say I need to replace the camshafts.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
robthewrench
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 335i

This is my advice for anytime you go to the mechanic: Ask them to diagnose and fix your problem of the idle being erratic. Do not request they replace a specific part, because if you evaluation of the problem is wrong, you'll get new camshafts and still have the problem.
      05-31-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
NoCandy4Yuh
Rep

Hey Rob thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. I'm just afraid they'll use their diagnostic tool, see the same codes and they'll say that's what was causing the erratic idle without doing further investigation.

My friend told me about an Indy shop that works mostly with BMWs, was gonna stop by after work, hopefully they'll give me an honest diagnostic.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 03:49 PM   #4
barteku
Registered
Poland
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi NoCandy4Yuh,

Have you solved this issue?
I have the same problem. I have tuned car and rough idle from 770rpm to 790rpm and little vibration on car. I decided to reset all adaptations in ISTA and after that I have same error like you:

Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequence
Intake Camshaft: Installation faulty.
Exhaust Camshaft: Installation faulty.

Do you know what to do with that?

Thanks,
B
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
NoCandy4Yuh
Rep

Yes I got it resolved. The issue was the bolts that held on the vanos units had gone bad and weren't able to be tightened properly. My Mechanic replaced the bolts and reset the codes and they never returned.

The bolts are cheap and you can find them here (you need 2)
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...6-7-524-954-M9

But replacing them involves taking of the valve cover to access the vanos units, and using a timing tool make sure your cam timing is still good after the work is done.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Bavarian702
///Vegasbimmers
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCandy4Yuh View Post
Yes I got it resolved. The issue was the bolts that held on the vanos units had gone bad and weren't able to be tightened properly. My Mechanic replaced the bolts and reset the codes and they never returned.

But replacing them involves taking of the valve cover to access the vanos units, and using a timing tool make sure your cam timing is still good after the work is done.

Hope this helps!
Quote:

Hope this helps!
Hi! I thought those bolts was part of a recall campaign about almost two years ago
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2017, 07:14 AM   #7
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

There are a fair few cars out there that were not part of the recall which have sheared the heads off these bolts.

Usually if all the bolt heads are missing then you are supposed to replace the adjuster(s) as a complete unit. And drop the sump to fish out the remnants.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #8
rapoot6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i

Hello,

I had the exact same errors come up on my N55 after I reset all the adaptations via MHD.

The car had its VANOS bolt recall performed 2 years ago and the dealership has said that in their repair attempt they have replaced the vanos bolts, adjusted timing etc, cleared the codes and updated the DME to no avail.

They have now had the car for 3 weeks+ with this issue

Anyone have any suggestions on the fix for this?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Broken135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Black 6 Speed

HEY! Can anyone shed some light on what the fix is here? I reset adaptations and now have these 3 codes coming up instantly!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 05:19 AM   #10
bzolli
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335ix

Hi Guys,

We had the identical code (3011 and consequently 2C58) on our N55B30A engine.
For troubleshooting, we first changed the camshaft sensors outside the engine, then the Vanos solenoid valves.
Unfortunately both without success!

After the engine was opened, we noticed that 2 screw heads were missing on the Vanos adjustment unit on the intake camshaft. OK, so both Vanos timing units (inlet and exhaust camshaft) were replaced. During this work we also replaced the timing chain, tensioner and attachments.
The engine was reassembled and the error remained. The engine went into limp mode within 30sec.
Disassemble the engine again and check the timing -> fit 100%.
After disassembling the intake camshaft, we found that the two Camshaft O-rings on the camshaft were worn out (Part 11317587757 ). Compared to the new O-rings the used ones had a 0.05mm thinner wall thickness. This results in a gap of 0.1 mm on the camshaft. After these two rings were replaced (USD 10 both together) and the engine was reassembled, the engine ran without any problems or codes. Always replace timing and all alloy and camshaft bolts!

I hope this can help you.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:59 PM   #11
shellienivens
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x5

same problem

Hello, where can I find information about the recall of the bolts? How much does this particular repair cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2023, 11:34 PM   #12
voliyavor
Rep
Drives: bmw e70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapoot6 View Post
Hello,

I had the exact same errors come up on my N55 after I reset all the adaptations via MHD.

The car had its VANOS bolt recall performed 2 years ago and the dealership has said that in their repair attempt they have replaced the vanos bolts, adjusted timing etc, cleared the codes and updated the DME to no avail.

They have now had the car for 3 weeks+ with this issue

Anyone have any suggestions on the fix for this?

Thank you
Hello would you tell me what was the problem with the car
Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 11:02 PM   #13
voliyavor
Rep

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Hello
I have the same problem ....I've already open the valve cover and remove the vanos but all the bolts are in a good shape also the o rings are replaced because I see that they are the Teflon one .....would you help me thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2023, 11:18 PM   #14
voliyavor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzolli View Post
Hi Guys,

We had the identical code (3011 and consequently 2C58) on our N55B30A engine.
For troubleshooting, we first changed the camshaft sensors outside the engine, then the Vanos solenoid valves.
Unfortunately both without success!

After the engine was opened, we noticed that 2 screw heads were missing on the Vanos adjustment unit on the intake camshaft. OK, so both Vanos timing units (inlet and exhaust camshaft) were replaced. During this work we also replaced the timing chain, tensioner and attachments.
The engine was reassembled and the error remained. The engine went into limp mode within 30sec.
Disassemble the engine again and check the timing -> fit 100%.
After disassembling the intake camshaft, we found that the two Camshaft O-rings on the camshaft were worn out (Part 11317587757 ). Compared to the new O-rings the used ones had a 0.05mm thinner wall thickness. This results in a gap of 0.1 mm on the camshaft. After these two rings were replaced (USD 10 both together) and the engine was reassembled, the engine ran without any problems or codes. Always replace timing and all alloy and camshaft bolts!

I hope this can help you.
Hi can I ask for an advice
My fault codes are the same but the seals are replaced with the Teflon ones and the bolts are in good condition and the codes remain the same.....
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2023, 12:02 AM   #15
voliyavor
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barteku View Post
Hi NoCandy4Yuh,

Have you solved this issue?
I have the same problem. I have tuned car and rough idle from 770rpm to 790rpm and little vibration on car. I decided to reset all adaptations in ISTA and after that I have same error like you:

Charging pressure control: Switch-off as consequence
Intake Camshaft: Installation faulty.
Exhaust Camshaft: Installation faulty.

Do you know what to do with that?

Thanks,
B
Hello have you solved the issue with your car
I have the same problem
Thank you in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 02:07 PM   #16
larsonlarry62@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 N20

Help Camshaft installation faulty

I am working on a 2013 BMW X3 N20. I replaced timing chain and guides as well as the turbo and turbo solenoid valve.
At this point I am receiving these faults:
DME (ECU) 120408 Charging pressure control: Switch off as consequence.
DME 9ECU0 164040 Intake camshaft: installation defective
DME 9ECU0 164041 Exhaust camshaft: installation defective
DME (ECU) 128E01 Oxygen sensor before cat converter: Open circuit in Nernst line
I am not concerned with the oxygen sensor.
I have confirmed the VANOS pistons are free and the VANOS solenoids are operational. I have electrically actuated the VANOS solenoids. The intake made the engine stumble at idle, and the exhaust made it stall. The cam sensors are wired correctly.
The waste gate controller is pneumatic and operational.
I am scanning the vehicle with an Autel MaxiCOM MK808BT Pro.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 10:57 PM   #17
Brandoch
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E93 M3 DCT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsonlarry62@gmail.com View Post
I am working on a 2013 BMW X3 N20. I replaced timing chain and guides as well as the turbo and turbo solenoid valve.
At this point I am receiving these faults:
DME (ECU) 120408 Charging pressure control: Switch off as consequence.
DME 9ECU0 164040 Intake camshaft: installation defective
DME 9ECU0 164041 Exhaust camshaft: installation defective
DME (ECU) 128E01 Oxygen sensor before cat converter: Open circuit in Nernst line
I am not concerned with the oxygen sensor.
I have confirmed the VANOS pistons are free and the VANOS solenoids are operational. I have electrically actuated the VANOS solenoids. The intake made the engine stumble at idle, and the exhaust made it stall. The cam sensors are wired correctly.
The waste gate controller is pneumatic and operational.
I am scanning the vehicle with an Autel MaxiCOM MK808BT Pro.
If you post in the f25 x3 forum you will get better feedback.
Appreciate 0