E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Steering angle sensor re-calibration in inpa

05-11-2019, 03:02 PM   #1
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW E91

Steering angle sensor re-calibration in inpa

Hopefully someone can help me with this..

I recently have put new tires and had my car aligned. I have spent a lot of time doing research on what it was. I have all the dsc lights that are typical of an "off center" steering angle sensor.

I tried watching the you canic video because I thought maybe I was missing something, but in the e90 chassis options, I do not have a steering angle sensor option?

I feel like I'm missing something... I've tried digging through Google and the only thing I keep getting is e46 and other series.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgovan32 View Post
Hopefully someone can help me with this..

I recently have put new tires and had my car aligned. I have spent a lot of time doing research on what it was. I have all the dsc lights that are typical of an "off center" steering angle sensor.

I tried watching the you canic video because I thought maybe I was missing something, but in the e90 chassis options, I do not have a steering angle sensor option?

I feel like I'm missing something... I've tried digging through Google and the only thing I keep getting is e46 and other series.
What fault codes are displayed?

To reset Steering angle sensor use ISTA D or tool32 and job: 'lenkwinkel dsc abgleichen' in your DSC prg file...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:19 PM   #3
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Egs fault -
578E. 61

Dsc fault -
5e43. A0
34B5. 20
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

I tried resetting in tool32, lights remain on.. Guess I'll try ista
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Have you tried driving around a little after resetting the SAS? The DSC needs to verify that the steering angle calculated from the wheel speeds when going straight doesn't differ more than 10 degrees from the transmitted steering wheel angle.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #6
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
Have you tried driving around a little after resetting the SAS? The DSC needs to verify that the steering angle calculated from the wheel speeds when going straight doesn't differ more than 10 degrees from the transmitted steering wheel angle.
So I need to reset the SAS and proceed to drive in a straight line for what? 1/4 mile?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 01:59 AM   #7
Sensible_
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

5e43 means a faulty sensor generally.

You’ll need to replace or repair as here:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Mik325tds
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d M-Sport

Quote:
So I need to reset the SAS and proceed to drive in a straight line for what? 1/4 mile?
No, that is usually done within 100 feet and you don't need a straight line. It does take longer if you have AFS (Active Front Steering) though and there it works best if you do a slalom with decreasing steering wheel input.
But I agree with Sensible_ for this fault you should clean the disc.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik325tds View Post
No, that is usually done within 100 feet and you don't need a straight line. It does take longer if you have AFS (Active Front Steering) though and there it works best if you do a slalom with decreasing steering wheel input.
But I agree with Sensible_ for this fault you should clean the disc.
So I cleaned the SAS about a week ago, I took everything out. Wiped down the oliptical dick, wiped down the plastic "optical reader" that is placed on top of the IR, and I gently cleaned the IR laser lens. When I started the car, it went off but as soon as I turn the wheel past 10-15degrees, then the light comes back on. I thought if I would have reset it, that would have cleared my problem. I'm kind of at a loss and truly believe that the sensor might be bad and needs replacement...

I DIDN'T use isopropyl when I cleaned it, I just took a new microfiber and wiped down the top of the disk, IR and the clear plastic piece. I gently wiped the bottom of it and ensure I didn't scratch of mess with the etching on the bottom. Do I need isopropyl when I clean it? I can't physically see how it would make it cleaner than how I did it..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #10
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_ View Post
5e43 means a faulty sensor generally.

You’ll need to replace or repair as here:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=520467
Based off this article is how I cleaned my disk but I didn't solder it... Maybe that's my next step
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #11
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Egs fault -
578E. 61

Dsc fault -
5e43. A0
34B5. 20
What DSC or DXC Module do you have in your 2007 E91?? It makes a difference as Fault Code 5E43 relates to steering angle sensor in RWD 328i with DSC 85, but on AWD (X-drive) 328xi with "DXC 90" it means "Wheel Speed Plausibility, Right Rear." Go to "www.bmwfault.codes" and enter 5E43 and you will see (for DXC 90):
5E43 | DSC: Wheel speed, plausibility, rear right | dxc_90 | Dynamic Stability Control DSC8 Plus

If you are simply using Functional Jobs in INPA to read Fault Codes, that does NOT provide a CODE DEFINITION; you have to connect to the DSC/DXC (ADR 29) to get that. Since you have INPA, you can determine whether Wheel Speed Sensors are working properly or not by connecting to DSC/DXC, Selecting F5 > F1 > F1, Wheel Speed (Radgeschwindigkeit), and moving forward & backward to see if each wheel speed registers, and rotation direction is also correctly shown.

BTW, the EGS Fault Code 578E is for "Oil Wear Fault" which means you have a GM6 AT with > 100,000 miles (probably ;-) and should change the transmission fluid (Dexron VI) and filter soon. You can confirm that by connecting to the GS1912 Transmission Module and reading Fault Codes (F4, Fehlerspeicher lesen) where you will see the code definition, and can also see details or Freeze Frame Data in many modules.

I do NOT know how/if one can reset or calibrate the Steering Angle Sensor using INPA. There is NO separate F6 (Activations/Steuern) screen for that for my 328xi with DXC 90. Perhaps there is something in "X-Drive Test" (F6 > F2)?

Please let us know what you find,
George
Appreciate 1
Mik325tds806.50
      05-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
What DSC or DXC Module do you have in your 2007 E91?? It makes a difference as Fault Code 5E43 relates to steering angle sensor in RWD 328i with DSC 85, but on AWD (X-drive) 328xi with "DXC 90" it means "Wheel Speed Plausibility, Right Rear." Go to "www.bmwfault.codes" and enter 5E43 and you will see (for DXC 90):
5E43 | DSC: Wheel speed, plausibility, rear right | dxc_90 | Dynamic Stability Control DSC8 Plus

If you are simply using Functional Jobs in INPA to read Fault Codes, that does NOT provide a CODE DEFINITION; you have to connect to the DSC/DXC (ADR 29) to get that. Since you have INPA, you can determine whether Wheel Speed Sensors are working properly or not by connecting to DSC/DXC, Selecting F5 > F1 > F1, Wheel Speed (Radgeschwindigkeit), and moving forward & backward to see if each wheel speed registers, and rotation direction is also correctly shown.

BTW, the EGS Fault Code 578E is for "Oil Wear Fault" which means you have a GM6 AT with > 100,000 miles (probably ;-) and should change the transmission fluid (Dexron VI) and filter soon. You can confirm that by connecting to the GS1912 Transmission Module and reading Fault Codes (F4, Fehlerspeicher lesen) where you will see the code definition, and can also see details or Freeze Frame Data in many modules.

I do NOT know how/if one can reset or calibrate the Steering Angle Sensor using INPA. There is NO separate F6 (Activations/Steuern) screen for that for my 328xi with DXC 90. Perhaps there is something in "X-Drive Test" (F6 > F2)?

George
Im gonna attempt to reply without missing anything LOL. Thank you for a detailed explanation. I'm not hooked up at this moment with it being mothers day but I do have dsc_87. I'm going to look at the wheel speed area tonight.

Also your knowledge is impressive I just hit 105k miles and after posting this thread I realized that was a different code so I researched it and found out I need to do the transmission flush and filter lol

I did use tool32 and accessing dsc_87 to reset my SAS. All the lights went off but as soon as I turned to wheels to initialize it, the lights came on and stayed on. I'm very good with computers with slight coding knowledge prior to this. But INPA, tool32, and winkfpt are new programs to me, and navigating a half German version can be difficult 😂
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #13
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

George
Alternator went out today, hoping that this could be related somehow? Fingers crossed while I deal with this issue now. Gonna replace the voltage regulator
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #14
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Alternator went out today, hoping that this could be related somehow? Fingers crossed while I deal with this issue now. Gonna replace the voltage regulator
WHAT EXACTLY happened that you describe as "alternator went out"? What warning lamp(s) on instrument cluster (Red Battery icon)? What voltage reading at the Jumpstart Terminals or "Hidden Menu 9.00" with engine running and alternator turning/charging?

Over-voltage or Voltage in excess of 15.0V with engine running is a KNOWN CAUSE of electrical system voltage spikes, causing Electronic Modules such as CAS, KOMBI, DSC & JBE to do weird things with warning lights on the instrument cluster and even windshield wipers starting on their own without wiper stalk activation.

Please list any diagnostic tests you did related to the alternator and what symptoms of alternator or voltage regulator failure you observed.

George
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 11:58 PM   #15
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
WHAT EXACTLY happened that you describe as "alternator went out"? What warning lamp(s) on instrument cluster (Red Battery icon)? What voltage reading at the Jumpstart Terminals or "Hidden Menu 9.00" with engine running and alternator turning/charging?

Over-voltage or Voltage in excess of 15.0V with engine running is a KNOWN CAUSE of electrical system voltage spikes, causing Electronic Modules such as CAS, KOMBI, DSC & JBE to do weird things with warning lights on the instrument cluster and even windshield wipers starting on their own without wiper stalk activation.

Please list any diagnostic tests you did related to the alternator and what symptoms of alternator or voltage regulator failure you observed.

George
While sitting at chick-fil-a abs light came on flashing. Seat belt, airbag, transmission (gear with exclamation), battery lights came on and I Lost a lot of acceleration. I was on a mostly straight road when this happened so I didn't have to worry about the car dying at the light. When this happened I pulled the voltage meter from the on board computer when the seat belt, air bag, and abs light came on... it peaked about 17v when the transmission light came on. Battery was very warm even after 20 Mins after I got home and since it's a new battery with a fresh reset on the battery, I'm assuming it has to be the voltage regulator. I tried starting it (after doing my due diligence), and battery read 12.4 off and alternator was running 13.6.

My lights went off but I know this isn't a "brush it off and deal with it this weekend" issue
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 01:56 AM   #16
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

17 Volts is OVERVOLTAGE!!!

Battery water/acid boils (battery VERY hot) with possible leakage into battery well that you want to clean IMMEDIATELY to prevent corrosion or attack of "Transfer Points" ahead of & below battery. Possible damage to Modules (that's why the "light show" on dash).

Good news is that MAY explain the previous codes/warning lights. If your Alternator is the Bosch 180 Amp, you can get a replacement Voltage Regulator to install in rear of current alternator for ~ $50 vs. ~ $500 for new alternator.

Please let us know how it goes,
George
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:13 AM   #17
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
17 Volts is OVERVOLTAGE!!!

Battery water/acid boils (battery VERY hot) with possible leakage into battery well that you want to clean IMMEDIATELY to prevent corrosion or attack of "Transfer Points" ahead of & below battery. Possible damage to Modules (that's why the "light show" on dash).

Good news is that MAY explain the previous codes/warning lights. If your Alternator is the Bosch 180 Amp, you can get a replacement Voltage Regulator to install in rear of current alternator for ~ $50 vs. ~ $500 for new alternator.

Please let us know how it goes,
George
Very much so lol I was freaking out trying to get home and turn my car off before any serious damage 😂

I do have the bosch 180 (according to my Vin in real oem) and I'm going to order the bosch from FCP euro. I've read some good things about them VS OEM. I'm looking at tomorrow to confirm but it does have the black plastic on the back which if I'm not mistaken is the bosch model. So I'm double checking tomorrow and ordering accordingly. Will update in a few days when I replace
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:14 AM   #18
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

But the battery was very warm even after sitting for 20 Mins. It was definitely overcharging. But no damage to the battery that I saw so I'm just crossing fingers at this point
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 12:50 AM   #19
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Update, bad voltage regulator replaced. Let the car get to operating temp, ac, radio and lights on. Everything seemed to be in order for the Xmas lights I had. It had actually fried my battery and left it with a bad cell in the end and the battery was sweating out the side... Good thing for warranty lol..

Unfortunately my SAS still seems to be outta wack. Going to look at wheel speed sensors tomorrow to see if I can get any info on that end..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:09 AM   #20
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Update, bad voltage regulator replaced. Let the car get to operating temp, ac, radio and lights on. Everything seemed to be in order for the Xmas lights I had. It had actually fried my battery and left it with a bad cell in the end and the battery was sweating out the side... Good thing for warranty lol..

Unfortunately my SAS still seems to be outta wack. Going to look at wheel speed sensors tomorrow to see if I can get any info on that end..
I also have a trifecta of 10 SAS related codes from time to time when I scan the codes in ISTA. But I never get dash warning lights and the codes are not present/active.

Tried to run the SAS calibration like you but in ISTA I can only find a functional description and not the actual service thing to calibrate.

So idk
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:26 AM   #21
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
I also have a trifecta of 10 SAS related codes from time to time when I scan the codes in ISTA. But I never get dash warning lights and the codes are not present/active.

Tried to run the SAS calibration like you but in ISTA I can only find a functional description and not the actual service thing to calibrate.

So idk
As far as I know, the recalibration has to be done via tool 32. Then you have to turn the steering wheel full left, full right, then back to center and it should initialize the SAS but mine doesn't work so there's an underlying cause somewhere that I gotta find. I've heard the modules rarely ever fail which makes me hope it's a sensor somewhere
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 01:28 AM   #22
kgovan32
Enlisted Member
Rep

But I've never used ista so I may be wrong
Appreciate 0