E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > e92 RPM and stalling issues

11-14-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
Nlohman0717
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

e92 RPM and stalling issues

Hey everyone.

I've used this forum quite a bit in the past to research issues, but never had to actually post anything. Well now I have an issue I can't figure out...so here is my first post.

First off...I'm driving a 2007 328xi N52 engine with 190,000 miles.

Yesterday after leaving work (car was cold and it was raining) I noticed the car had some rpm surging issues, particularly when starting from a stop and getting on the throttle. It only happened in low rpms...once i got into the higher rpms it stopped. I chalked it up to the car being cold and the drastic change in temperature here lately. A few minutes later when I came to a stop the rpms would be around 1k (usually they are around 600 normally) and then suddenly drop down to around 400 which caused the car to shake. I got on the highway and then something familiar happened...the check engine light came on and the car was shaking. This was clearly an issue with a coil...it felt just like any other time a coil went out on me, so I thought no big deal...it's an easy fix. However, after that, every time I came to a stop sign or a slow roll the car would stall. This was odd to me because I never had the car stall when I had a coil go out.

On a side note, I replaced all six coils last winter.

Today the car started up normally, ran fine, and didn't exhibit any of the symptoms it did yesterday.

Any thoughts? Am I crazy...s it the coil(s)? I thought it was strange to have the car stall especially since that never happened to me before with a coil issue.

I'm going to attempt to borrow my neighbors code reader to see if I can pull any codes tonight.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #2
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Report back with your codes.