E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Am I crazy?

10-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
AddictedToBavarian
My other ride is a Bianchi Infinito
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Miss my E92 but love my E46 M3

Am I crazy?

I need an outside perspective, because my wife thinks I'm crazy years now, but anyway....

I've been obsessing over my front bumper and how scratched and chipped it is from the road plus I want to fill the license plate holes for a clean look, so I thought I'd have it repainted next fall. Turns out I couldn't wait and I went to get a quote. While I was there I mentioned these 2 TINY imprints on my rear bumper from someone's license plate screws touching my car and 1 door ding. He told me the rear bumper would have to be painted as well and the ding would be PDR.

For the front and rear bumper the computer generated total was $1,150, but he might go as low as $750-900 if I paid cash (this is pending his boss' decision). This does not include the door ding that might be about $100.

I'm very anal, but is this taking it too far? It's not a daily driver, but it's an outside car (driveway) and something is always bound to happen. Anyway I have until tomorrow to decide. Would you guys do this?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi0wner View Post
I need an outside perspective, because my wife thinks I'm crazy years now, but anyway....

I've been obsessing over my front bumper and how scratched and chipped it is from the road plus I want to fill the license plate holes for a clean look, so I thought I'd have it repainted next fall. Turns out I couldn't wait and I went to get a quote. While I was there I mentioned these 2 TINY imprints on my rear bumper from someone's license plate screws touching my car and 1 door ding. He told me the rear bumper would have to be painted as well and the ding would be PDR.

For the front and rear bumper the computer generated total was $1,150, but he might go as low as $750-900 if I paid cash (this is pending his boss' decision). This does not include the door ding that might be about $100.

I'm very anal, but is this taking it too far? It's not a daily driver, but it's an outside car (driveway) and something is always bound to happen. Anyway I have until tomorrow to decide. Would you guys do this?
I'd say don't get the holes filled, by an mtech and paint that, and then do the rest also. It's your car and you want it to look good, nothing wrong with that. Then go to autozone and purchase and outdoor car cover since it sits in the driveway.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Thought about the mtech as well, but now we're adding more to this total. Lol. By the way I bought a car cover, but it sucks. Will think about the mtech some more.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Clifton
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars with tires

Your not crazy, but that's just me. I've been thinking about doing the same for my 98 M3. You can save yourself some cash if you pull the front and rear bumper covers yourself and then just drop them off at the body shop. If you look at your estimate, you will see that a decent portion of the labor is to remove/replace bumpers.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
cable96
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: threethreefive

i think the price to have both those resprayed is a tad bit much, but when u do get them resprayed, i would invest in a clear bra for your front bumper at the very least.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cable96 View Post
i think the price to have both those resprayed is a tad bit much, but when u do get them resprayed, i would invest in a clear bra for your front bumper at the very least.
Very true about the clear bra. If he does bring it down to $750 or $800 that's actually not that bad. I've seen guys pay up to $600-700 for the front respray alone.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
AddictedToBavarian
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifton View Post
Your not crazy, but that's just me. I've been thinking about doing the same for my 98 M3. You can save yourself some cash if you pull the front and rear bumper covers yourself and then just drop them off at the body shop. If you look at your estimate, you will see that a decent portion of the labor is to remove/replace bumpers.
You're right, never thought of this. Now am I capable of it... lol
Appreciate 0