E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Canada Classifieds Section > WTB: large/upgrade oil cooler for 2011 335xi

10-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp in HS

Anybody have any leads or know good place to buy?

Are there large oil coolers for N55 other than the Dinan product?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:19 AM   #2
jakkuh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Garage List
Better to just get an aftermarket performance coolant radiator, will make a bigger difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkuh View Post
Better to just get an aftermarket performance coolant radiator, will make a bigger difference.
I thought an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler were some primary things to take care of before addding really big power. So you're saying radiator as well?

I have a 2011 335 e90 with Dinan stage 2 on it. Has oil cooler as came with Performance package. That's all working great, but if I chip up for their, need intercooler, oil cooler no?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
jakkuh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrink View Post
Quote:
I thought an upgraded oil cooler and intercooler were some primary things to take care of before addding really big power. So you're saying radiator as well?

I have a 2011 335 e90 with Dinan stage 2 on it. Has oil cooler as came with Performance package. That's all working great, but if I chip up for their, need intercooler, oil cooler no?
You don't need the supplementary oil cooler for the tune, but if you're tracking it's likely you will overheat.

The thing people don't understand is that the primary coolant system on our and most vehicles is the coolant system, not the oil. Just because we have oil temp gauges, doesn't mean coolant temp doesn't matter. In fact, IIRC, the overheat protection system in our cars bases itself on coolant temp, not oil.

While the oil does a fair amount of cooling and circulating heat, it's a small amount comparatively, so when you add oil coolers and what have you it doesn't make a huge difference.

What can make a huge difference is a larger coolant radiator, you just need to make sure you get the appropriate one for your car (automatic cars have a transmission cooler in the bottom of the coolant rad, while manual cars do not)
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:20 PM   #5
DieselDrink
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You don't need the supplementary oil cooler for the tune, but if you're tracking it's likely you will overheat.

The thing people don't understand is that the primary coolant system on our and most vehicles is the coolant system, not the oil. Just because we have oil temp gauges, doesn't mean coolant temp doesn't matter. In fact, IIRC, the overheat protection system in our cars bases itself on coolant temp, not oil.

While the oil does a fair amount of cooling and circulating heat, it's a small amount comparatively, so when you add oil coolers and what have you it doesn't make a huge difference.

What can make a huge difference is a larger coolant radiator, you just need to make sure you get the appropriate one for your car (automatic cars have a transmission cooler in the bottom of the coolant rad, while manual cars do not)
Thanks for all the feedback Jakkuh. What you say makes sense.

Do you have any vendor links or links as examples of radiator products?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
jakkuh
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for all the feedback Jakkuh. What you say makes sense.

Do you have any vendor links or links as examples of radiator products?
https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-33...ance/Radiator/

Not sure if your car is an E90 or E92, also not sure if it makes a diffference but I'd check compatibility.
Appreciate 0