E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New to BMW, Mod questions (FMIC/Tuner)

05-15-2019, 07:54 AM   #1
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: bicycle

New to BMW, Mod questions (FMIC/Tuner)

Good Day,

I am new to this forum, BMWs and Tuning in general. Over the past few months I’ve decided to start looking for a fun fast convertible 6 speed and landed on the 335is. Although I do not have the car yet as I’m waiting for the right spec to show up, however, I am starting to pick up preventive maintenance parts (plugs, coils, walnut blasting supplies, oil/filers,……) as well as Bolt ons (DCI, charge pipe, downpipe). I am stuck on a couple mods and hope I can use some of knowledgeable folks here to help me out, specifically with the tune/tuner and the FMIC.

As stated above I do not have too much experience tuning cars, however, unrelated, I have been an aircraft mechanic for the past 15 years. So I do consider myself reasonably mechanically inclined.

I don’t race or track my cars, I’m not an aggressive driver, I do like to stomp on it for short burst from time to time. I plan to do the bolt ons and nothing else so my first question is for the FMIC. I live in florida where is 95 every day for 7 months should I think about the 7” intercooler or would the 5” be plenty for a driver like me?

Next is the tuner. Think of this one from my point of view. I prefer simplicity, I don’t care to much to mess with every available setting and I do not know too much (yet) about tuning. I understand COBB is not very popular due to them no longer working on the maps but it does look rather easy to use. JB4 seems the safest and almost easier to use than COBB and lastly MHD. MHD seems to be the most popular but flashing scares the crap out of me and most of the features are wasted on me. I couldn’t care less what the exhaust burble sounds like. Is MHD easy enough for a beginner to grow into and learn? I've started reading about Back-ending and am super confused. is it worth my time as a noob or should i hold off on that for another day?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I appreciate your patience with my questions.

Thanks for all the other information throughout the forum.

Thanks
-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 08:17 AM   #2
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSurfer View Post
Good Day,

I am new to this forum, BMWs and Tuning in general. Over the past few months I’ve decided to start looking for a fun fast convertible 6 speed and landed on the 335is. Although I do not have the car yet as I’m waiting for the right spec to show up, however, I am starting to pick up preventive maintenance parts (plugs, coils, walnut blasting supplies, oil/filers,……) as well as Bolt ons (DCI, charge pipe, downpipe). I am stuck on a couple mods and hope I can use some of knowledgeable folks here to help me out, specifically with the tune/tuner and the FMIC.

As stated above I do not have too much experience tuning cars, however, unrelated, I have been an aircraft mechanic for the past 15 years. So I do consider myself reasonably mechanically inclined.

I don’t race or track my cars, I’m not an aggressive driver, I do like to stomp on it for short burst from time to time. I plan to do the bolt ons and nothing else so my first question is for the FMIC. I live in florida where is 95 every day for 7 months should I think about the 7” intercooler or would the 5” be plenty for a driver like me?

Next is the tuner. Think of this one from my point of view. I prefer simplicity, I don’t care to much to mess with every available setting and I do not know too much (yet) about tuning. I understand COBB is not very popular due to them no longer working on the maps but it does look rather easy to use. JB4 seems the safest and almost easier to use than COBB and lastly MHD. MHD seems to be the most popular but flashing scares the crap out of me and most of the features are wasted on me. I couldn’t care less what the exhaust burble sounds like. Is MHD easy enough for a beginner to grow into and learn? I've started reading about Back-ending and am super confused. is it worth my time as a noob or should i hold off on that for another day?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. I appreciate your patience with my questions.

Thanks
-Mark
Cobb is junk. Flashing scares you but that's exactly what the accessport does. Get MHD imo. Buy the right cable and an android device that's compatible.

I'm also in florida, I went straight to 7" ETS and now recently upgraded to 7" stepped competition VRSF intercooler. And before you ask, you can run either the 5w30/5w40 -- just don't use garbage oil.
      05-15-2019, 08:32 AM   #3
rsyed07
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 330i, E92 13' 335is

Flashing is the best way to go via MHD. JB4 I would not recommend since its essentially tricking your car into running more boost and such through a wire plug and if you have DCT there have been rare instances of known issues with it on the IS. Think of flashing as like a USB thumb drive. File on there when you need it and remove it when you don't. In addition the monitoring and logging feature with MHD is a nice touch and they have multiple off the shelf tunes or you can flash a custom tune through MHD. Also as a Floridian I went with the 7"HD and had no regrets.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
NoGuru
Major
Rep
Drives: 335is

Garage List
2021 Chevy Silverad ...  [0.00]
2002 Jeep Cherokee  [0.00]
2014 CTS  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
Yes, just go 7" FMIC and your done.

MHD and a Bimmer Geeks cable and semi decent Android is by far the way to go. You can log and it has lots of options you can play with when you feel comfortably.

JB4 is nice but like others said, it's more of just a Boost control then an actual Tune.
2011 335is DCT BQ Tuning / BMS CAI / VRSF kittyless DP's / Synapse BOV and charge pipe / 7" VRSF Race FMIC / Walbro 535 and 450 on BMP4 / E90 tune / Diff Brace / PR Coils / Relocation Inlets / DAW Stage3+ Turbos / MMP port injection / xHP Stage 3 / FPR and -6 fuel lines
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:01 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Best options for your build Wagner EVO II, Evolution Racewerks, VRSF 7.5" Competition.

I used to have ETS on my car, its a great product but outdated at this point

I posted this intercooler thread to help answer basic questions on FMIC, hope it helps
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...light=ultimate

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Awesome, thanks for the reply's fellas, looks like ill continue my research.

do the catted aftermarket down pipes produce a CEL like what im guessing the de-catted DP's would?

as a side note im super upset at a car I lost yesterday. A 2013 E93 335is, 6 speed MT, one owner, clean title car, with only 40K miles asking price of $22k. i knew i should have put a down payment on it. the car was located about 1000 miles away from me, so I started booking flights and hotels and moving my work schedule around, than I called them back in the afternoon and they had just sold it from underneath me. the next closest car to this condition is about 1500 miles north and they're asking $40k, screw that.

Perhaps an E93 M3 should be put back on my list?

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #7
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
Flashing is the best way to go via MHD. JB4 I would not recommend since its essentially tricking your car into running more boost and such through a wire plug and if you have DCT there have been rare instances of known issues with it on the IS. Think of flashing as like a USB thumb drive. File on there when you need it and remove it when you don't. In addition the monitoring and logging feature with MHD is a nice touch and they have multiple off the shelf tunes or you can flash a custom tune through MHD. Also as a Floridian I went with the 7"HD and had no regrets.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep

e93s are like 4000 lbs. Ew.
      05-16-2019, 12:05 PM   #9
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
e93s are like 4000 lbs. Ew.
4090 lbs
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 12:40 PM   #10
rawdog573
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

I'm new to. I picked a cheap amazon fire tablet 8 since it's otg compatible. A k+dcan cable on amazon for $30 that had good reviews. Been playing with the mhd to get use to it. But so far satisfied with it. It's actually really simple. The initial 40min flash scared me. But after that. Things were smooth and easy. 10/10
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:23 PM   #11
tisdrew
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kens View Post
Why does that matter? Unless he's constantly drag racing a coupe/sedan or has both to compare to... Can you imagine a 335is convertible FBO and how fun that drive would be, from the sounds to the torque?

Also +1 MHD. It's the best all around option right now.
Because the torque is less thrilling when you add weight to the car plus you give up a lot in handling/braking. To me it feels you're giving up the character of the car when you do that to it -- I bought a BMW because it was a balance of power and handling and luxury. I sacrificed reliability-ish so I could have everything else.
      05-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #12
martinm0
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i RWD 6MT Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog573 View Post
I'm new to. I picked a cheap amazon fire tablet 8 since it's otg compatible. A k+dcan cable on amazon for $30 that had good reviews. Been playing with the mhd to get use to it. But so far satisfied with it. It's actually really simple. The initial 40min flash scared me. But after that. Things were smooth and easy. 10/10
Good to hear. I did the same (cheap Amazon Fire 8 tablet plus a previously purchased K+Dcan cable from Amazon I used for NCS Expert and INPA. Have yet to buy the MHD tune, but I have been wondering if there were any issues. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
rawdog573
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinm0 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawdog573 View Post
Good to hear. I did the same (cheap Amazon Fire 8 tablet plus a previously purchased K+Dcan cable from Amazon I used for NCS Expert and INPA. Have yet to buy the MHD tune, but I have been wondering if there were any issues. Thanks!
The only issue I have so far. Is when I run 93 octane stage 1+ I get a super knock shakedown code and fuel pump plausible. No driveability issues and I have to do 2 or 3 wot pulls before the code comes up. Tune off. I never see it. So I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm running fuel system cleaner right now to see if anything changes. I'm hoping next time I got to fill up tomorrow. Everything seems good. I'm going to the track Friday night for a street fight to play around
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 07:58 AM   #14
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisdrew View Post
Because the torque is less thrilling when you add weight to the car plus you give up a lot in handling/braking. To me it feels you're giving up the character of the car when you do that to it -- I bought a BMW because it was a balance of power and handling and luxury. I sacrificed reliability-ish so I could have everything else.
My number 1 is a convertible, tied for number 2 is a Manual transmission and at least 300 horsepower (Factory). and it has to have rear seats for my little one and be within my budget. my only other options are Mustang and Camaro. I rented both of these cars each for a week and absolutely hated them. American build quality is gross. The Camaro had welds that had chunks of weld wire sticking out of the terrible, untreated/unpainted welds, the hood and front fenders were plastic, with the top up its impossible to see out of the thing. The mustang had panel gaps up to 1/2 inch and the driving position was uncomfortable for me. these are just my opinions and I couldn't be talked into either of these cars. I certainly dont fit the stereotypical image of a BMW owner but im even further from the image of the 2 muscle cars. not that I care but maybe I do........

Process of elimination, i landed on the BMW E93 M3. im not sure why I moved away from the M3 but i did. the rod bearings dont scare me and the throttle actuators are super easy to DIY. I fell in love with the shape of the E9X cars and started looking at the E93 335i with the N55 and soon found it has limitations, then the 335is because it looks like a tamed version of the M3 and appears to have amazing gains for the price. Not that I feel i need to explain how and why and where i spend my money but there it is.

Also, Im just a dude that wants to drive a nice looking car to work and floor it on on ramps and maybe impress my parents at the airport when I pick them up. Im not a race car driver, i wont track the car or bring it to the strip. im sure the extra convertable weight makes a difference to someone who has more seat time with all the E9x platforms but for someone like me the extra weight, less torque, worse handling is negligible. and not to mention if brakes and handing are that bad then they do make upgraded fixes for brakes and suspension that will help if not solve the issues.

is 500lbs truly going to ruin my experience with the car or will the open top trump all. im going with the open top

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 10:51 AM   #15
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Mark - since I have both an FBO E90 335 and an E93 M3, I can speak to directly to your question about weight.

No, 500lbs is not going to have a major effect on your street driving experience.

While my tuned 335 is significantly faster than a stock M3, the latter is significantly more fun to throw around a corner. There are a host of suspension differences between the two giving the M3 higher limits and inspiring a lot of confidence in the driver. I have thrown quite a bit of money at the 335 suspension (admittedly it's AWD which complicates matters) and it still, very clearly, does not perform like an M3. Also, nothing beats the sound of that V8 at 8K rpm, especially with the top down.

However, that hard top is the most complex mechanical device on the car. It is subject to leaks, squeaks and rattles that can be very expensive to address if you depend on a dealer to perform the work.

Edit: also must say that the rear seating is pretty poor compared to an E90 so young kids only. And the top takes so much room that the trunk space is of marginal use, even with the top up. Pretty awkward as a grocery getter.

Last edited by dpaul; 05-17-2019 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #16
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
Mark - since I have both an FBO E90 335 and an E93 M3, I can speak to directly to your question about weight.

No, 500lbs is not going to have a major effect on your street driving experience.

While my tuned 335 is significantly faster than a stock M3, the latter is significantly more fun to throw around a corner. There are a host of suspension differences between the two giving the M3 higher limits and inspiring a lot of confidence in the driver. I have thrown quite a bit of money at the 335 suspension (admittedly it's AWD which complicates matters) and it still, very clearly, does not perform like an M3. Also, nothing beats the sound of that V8 at 8K rpm, especially with the top down.

However, that hard top is the most complex mechanical device on the car. It is subject to leaks, squeaks and rattles that can be very expensive to address if you depend on a dealer to perform the work.

Edit: also must say that the rear seating is pretty poor compared to an E90 so young kids only. And the top takes so much room that the trunk space is of marginal use, even with the top up. Pretty awkward as a grocery getter.

Why did you do this to me? I was settled on the 335is and now your putting the M3 bad on my plate?

mustang it is.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Yep, these 1st world problems are killers! LOL
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #18
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Mark I'll add my .02 here for what its worth.

DO NOT BUY an e93 to impress anyone, especially not your parents. We are talking about 6-12 year old used luxury vehicles... It's not going to impress anyone who actually matters. While the car has aged well, its still an older BMW. If you want to impress your parents when you pick them up... be an awesome dad, provide for your kid and his mom, the rest doesn't matter.

Now if the car makes you smile, that's a totally different thing.

I don't know how old your kid is but e93 is pretty horrible as far as the back seat is concerned. Car seats are almost impossible to fit. Have you driven an e93 yet?

Also the e93 roof while a thing of beauty, is a total pain in the ass. It squeaks, it leaks, it rattles... 60% of the time it works every time (J/K... sorta.) With the roof folded, trunk space is limited to chopsticks. Just want you to know what you are getting into. A bump in the road while opening or closing the roof can be a $5K prospect.

Finally, Be patient... 6MT e93 335's are unicorns in their own right. I think the production numbers are even lower than the MT wagons, so finding a decent one at a good price is going to be tough... I doubt there are more than a couple for sale in the entire US. When I was looking for my wagon it was the same thing, just have to wait and be patient, took over a year all said and done to find one the way I wanted, and even then I had to make a couple sacrifices.
Appreciate 1
tisdrew97.50
      05-17-2019, 02:01 PM   #19
LakeSurfer
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Mark I'll add my .02 here for what its worth.

DO NOT BUY an e93 to impress anyone, especially not your parents. We are talking about 6-12 year old used luxury vehicles... It's not going to impress anyone who actually matters. While the car has aged well, its still an older BMW. If you want to impress your parents when you pick them up... be an awesome dad, provide for your kid and his mom, the rest doesn't matter.

Now if the car makes you smile, that's a totally different thing.

I don't know how old your kid is but e93 is pretty horrible as far as the back seat is concerned. Car seats are almost impossible to fit. Have you driven an e93 yet?

Also the e93 roof while a thing of beauty, is a total pain in the ass. It squeaks, it leaks, it rattles... 60% of the time it works every time (J/K... sorta.) With the roof folded, trunk space is limited to chopsticks. Just want you to know what you are getting into. A bump in the road while opening or closing the roof can be a $5K prospect.

Finally, Be patient... 6MT e93 335's are unicorns in their own right. I think the production numbers are even lower than the MT wagons, so finding a decent one at a good price is going to be tough... I doubt there are more than a couple for sale in the entire US. When I was looking for my wagon it was the same thing, just have to wait and be patient, took over a year all said and done to find one the way I wanted, and even then I had to make a couple sacrifices.

I appreciate the response. I realize that a car wouldn't impress my parents, however, and at the risk of derailing the post, I think its pretty normal to try to impress our parents. they need to know that were doing good and we got it figured out. nothing say you got it figured out more then a convertible BMW to mid westerner parents who shouldn't know if its 10 years old or 10 mins. honestly dont care what people think about the car I drive. if I was alone on an island I would still have the same desires. no need to impress anyone.

that being said. my little one is 7 and only requires a booster seat. my wife is 5'3". with the seat pushed forward I think we would fit just fine. either way her daycare is 1/2 away and her school is 3/4 miles the same way. Im rarely with passengers in my car. besides i plan to keep my quad cab truck as its payed for and Japanese so it'll run forever. I have not driven the E93 M3 but i have been a passenger in the E90. my problem is my height. im 6'3" but i don't fit well in any Coupe so im fine with it.

I live in Florida and have a garage so the convertible is useful 98% of the time. well except for the afternoons during the rainy season. so if the roof breaks, well my wife will say I told you so and ill park it in my garage and DIY fix it provided I can, again using my truck for a spare or my motorcycle for that matter. I do want to daily drive the car but im fine with sacrificing the reliability to a point based on having back up options.

yeah Ive let go a couple 6 Speed MT 335is cars and feel like an idiot for that. i haven't removed the 335i from my list but would prefer the M sport package on that due the the improved looks IMO. My plan for now is to find 1 of those cars in the right condition, specs and mileage and bite the bullet because i believe each car is impressive in its own way and I would be happy with either as long as there is no top and 6 gears.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 02:27 PM   #20
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:
I live in Florida and have a garage so the convertible is useful 98% of the time. well except for the afternoons during the rainy season. so if the roof breaks, well my wife will say I told you so and ill park it in my garage and DIY fix it provided I can, again using my truck for a spare or my motorcycle for that matter. I do want to daily drive the car but im fine with sacrificing the reliability to a point based on having back up options.
So you addressed my biggest concern for you, and that is having another daily when it gets wet. Florida can go from sunny to rainy multiple times a day (you don't want to be using the roof that much unless you like fixing it.) As long as you have a car to drive in the rain, I think you will be ok... an e93 is not my first choice in a place that rains, the tops is, well... complicated... but if you know what to expect, you won't be surprised... but more than likely your wife will get a couple "I told you so's" in there. Fixes and monthly roof maintenance (seals, alignment, etc) are totally DIYable if you aren't timid.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #21
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Good Day,

Thanks
-Mark
I'd do catless downpipes & let the turbos & engine breath.

I'd probably also put in 1.75" silicone inlets.

MMP makes the best bang for your buck for both the inlets & downpipes.

That way you can go Stage 2+

The inlets aren't much of a factor in the MHD tune. They will just make the turbos more efficient. Maybe run them a little cooler because you are throwing more cold air on them. However, if your using DCI's you won't be. DCI's use hot engine air. I use an AFE cold air box.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #22
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

e93 335is owner with 7spd dct here. I also wanted 6mt but did not find one in time, the dct is still a blast. I fit 2 kid seats in the back no problem... just yell at them not to put their feet on the seat backs because yes, there's not a ton of legroom. Way easy to get the seats in with the top down.

yes the car weighs 4000+ lb but it still handles extremely well, and the exhaust note with the top down is intoxicating.

I'm only mhd stage 1 with dci and charge pipe at the moment but it pulls very nicely... and I have a vrsf 7" HD fmic and coated catless downpipes in the garage. Once I put those on and go stage 2+ I think I'll have a very fun daily driver.

convertible 335s are rarely as fast as coupes or sedans in terms of power/ weight, but at least the 335is has a dct going for it.

I'd rather have my car than an e93 m3 due to gas mileage and lower torque.... but I do have envy in regards to the m parts like lsd and brakes.
Appreciate 0