E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Mileage suddenly increased for more than 400k

12-18-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
draganp
Rep
Drives: E39 528

Mileage suddenly increased for more than 400k

Hi, mileage on the cluster suddenly increased. It was about 145k, but now it shows about 575xxx. The car is E90 330i 2005. Mechanic told me that problem is with the CAS, but after replacing CAS the problem wasnt solved. The CAS is installed and programmed with ISTA.
Mechanic tried another cluster (from another E90) just for few seconds to see mileage, and it was the same - 575xxx, with dot of course because that cluster is with another VIN....

Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 04:04 PM   #2
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Haha that's crazy. I would leave it for bragging rights.

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Is the mileage stored in the DME ?
Do the Vin numbers agree in all the modules
that they are stored in .
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
jporter396
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw m6 POS

As if our cars don't depreciate enough
Appreciate 4
DieselOG1673.50
Game7278.50
      12-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
draganp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Is the mileage stored in the DME ?
Do the Vin numbers agree in all the modules
that they are stored in .
I forgot to tell you. Mileage in DME is 153k, but I mean that it is little higher than it should be, but Im not sure...I dont remember last mileage but I had a service few months ago and mileage was about 145k.

Nobody changed any parts before...Every module is original that came with the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 08:34 PM   #6
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganp View Post
I forgot to tell you. Mileage in DME is 153k, but I mean that it is little higher than it should be, but Im not sure...I dont remember last mileage but I had a service few months ago and mileage was about 145k.

Nobody changed any parts before...Every module is original that came with the car.
BMW stores the current mileage in several modules (3?) and will report the highest stored mileage. I think it is stored in the DME, CAS, and Kombi modules.

One of those is giving you a faulty reading.
Do you have the mileage tamper indicator lit next to the mileage readout?

It is located multiple places for backup/redundancy and to prevent one from from rolling the mileage back with too much ease.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just saw that you do have the tamper dot illuminated...

You've replaced the CAS. You say Inpa reports true milage in the DME. So I'd surmise your Kombi (instrument cluster) is the source of your problems.

Here's the catch, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, Kombi from another vehicle is not directly swapable. This also applies to the DME.
These two modules have lock timers that are triggered after xx minutes of operation. Past that point, they are no longer considered virgin and will not correctly
sync with the other modules in the car.

A new/virgin Kombi is likely the answer. Alternatively, I think a hack has been devised to restore old kombis to virgin status. It involves hooking up some tool (not inpa/rheingold/dis)
to the Kombi and erasing info on one of the chips. Search about BMW M5/m3 cluster swaps to get more info.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 01:48 AM   #8
DieselOG
Spaceship Man Bad
United_States
Rep
Drives: DIEsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter396 View Post
As if our cars don't depreciate enough
Holy shit and I thought my TDI deprecated fast... 400K of driving in a day that's gotta hurt the KBB, I definitely wouldn't be buying a car that was run at 17,000mph for a whole day
      12-19-2016, 05:12 AM   #9
draganp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
Just saw that you do have the tamper dot illuminated...

You've replaced the CAS. You say Inpa reports true milage in the DME. So I'd surmise your Kombi (instrument cluster) is the source of your problems.

Here's the catch, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, Kombi from another vehicle is not directly swapable. This also applies to the DME.
These two modules have lock timers that are triggered after xx minutes of operation. Past that point, they are no longer considered virgin and will not correctly
sync with the other modules in the car.

A new/virgin Kombi is likely the answer. Alternatively, I think a hack has been devised to restore old kombis to virgin status. It involves hooking up some tool (not inpa/rheingold/dis)
to the Kombi and erasing info on one of the chips. Search about BMW M5/m3 cluster swaps to get more info.
Just to explain:
- there is NO tamper dot on the (original) cluster
- temper dot shown only on the cluster from another car when we tried it for few seconds just to see what mileage will be shown
- nobody tried to hack anything...there is no reason for that at all!!!

So, all modules are original and there is NO tamper dot on the cluster with old or new CAS...just a wrong mileage.

Kombi/cluster from another E90 tried just to see what is gonna happen...it was for few secs.
Why that cluster shows wrong mileage too?
From which module it reads that mileage? If we install a brand new cluster/kombi, maybe that cluster will read that, the same, wrong mileage?

Last edited by draganp; 12-19-2016 at 05:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 05:53 AM   #10
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to explain:
- there is NO tamper dot on the (original) cluster
- temper dot shown only on the cluster from another car when we tried it for few seconds just to see what mileage will be shown
- nobody tried to hack anything...there is no reason for that at all!!!

So, all modules are original and there is NO tamper dot on the cluster with old or new CAS...just a wrong mileage.

Kombi/cluster from another E90 tried just to see what is gonna happen...it was for few secs.
Why that cluster shows wrong mileage too?
From which module it reads that mileage? If we install a brand new cluster/kombi, maybe that cluster will read that, the same, wrong mileage?
I didn't mean to imply that you tried to hack/roll back the odometer. I was just giving a little background info on the system.

In your particular case, it is obvious that a module has malfunctioned and is now reporting an erroneous mileage reading. To fix the problem, we first need to know which module is reading high (400k). For that, we need to read the data from each module. You seem to have verified the DME is reporting correctly. You also replaced CAS, so it should be fine. Kombi is remaining... But you swapped in a new used Kombi and still get 400k.

Strange that it, too, reads high. Something is reporting 400k to Kombi. Maybe the mileage is stored in additional modules we haven't covered, though I thought it was only in 3 places. Perhaps when you put the new CAS in with the original Kombi, it updated back too 400k. And when you swapped the trial Kombi in, it received the 400k reading from your new CAS, which got the reading from your original Kombi. I don't know,I'm just speculating now... I do know that Kombi will display the highest recorded mileage, info taken from the units it is stored in.

Can inpa read the mileage info from the Kombi, from the CAS????
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 06:43 AM   #11
draganp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thakid22 View Post
I didn't mean to imply that you tried to hack/roll back the odometer. I was just giving a little background info on the system.

In your particular case, it is obvious that a module has malfunctioned and is now reporting an erroneous mileage reading. To fix the problem, we first need to know which module is reading high (400k). For that, we need to read the data from each module. You seem to have verified the DME is reporting correctly. You also replaced CAS, so it should be fine. Kombi is remaining... But you swapped in a new used Kombi and still get 400k.

Strange that it, too, reads high. Something is reporting 400k to Kombi. Maybe the mileage is stored in additional modules we haven't covered, though I thought it was only in 3 places. Perhaps when you put the new CAS in with the original Kombi, it updated back too 400k. And when you swapped the trial Kombi in, it received the 400k reading from your new CAS, which got the reading from your original Kombi. I don't know,I'm just speculating now... I do know that Kombi will display the highest recorded mileage, info taken from the units it is stored in.

Can inpa read the mileage info from the Kombi, from the CAS????
I am thinking exact that way...If the wrong mileage is in the new CAS then if we install new cluster, the wrong mileage will be read from CAS, right?

We couldnt find a way to read mileage from the Kombi and CAS. Actually on the first screen you can see all car details including mileage, and that mileage is read from kombi. We tried it without kombi at all and there wasnt mileage, so the very first screen reads mileage from kombi. The mileage there is in kilometers, not in miles, so it shows more than 920k km
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #12
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am thinking exact that way...If the wrong mileage is in the new CAS then if we install new cluster, the wrong mileage will be read from CAS, right?

We couldnt find a way to read mileage from the Kombi and CAS. Actually on the first screen you can see all car details including mileage, and that mileage is read from kombi. We tried it without kombi at all and there wasnt mileage, so the very first screen reads mileage from kombi. The mileage there is in kilometers, not in miles, so it shows more than 920k km
The info is also stored on the keyfob, though I am doubtful this is relevant to your case.

Just in case, have a look at this:

http://blog.wobd2.com/2015/10/30/solved-bmw-e60-keys-do-not-update-mileage/
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #13
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It looks like the mileage is stored in more modules than I originally thought!!!!
Look at the jpg image at the bottom of the thread here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=904143 I'll upload the image just in case the linked site isn't allowed here.

It is from a program called BMW Dash, and it shows the current stored mileage value.

I'm still thinking about what all of this means (if anything), in your situation... #givemeaminute
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #14
draganp
Rep

I found that program BMW dash and a screenshot on the eBay. Here is the link https://goo.gl/yKdBL9

Btw, we found a file with the fault from that service two months ago. It is XPS file (ISTA prints to this file type) and there the mileage was 237047 km, but cluster was showing 570671 (miles). So, back then mileage on the cluster was different than ISTA read?? I have a photo of a cluster and XPS file with some fault, from the same date.

Few days ago:
- ISTA read 921753 km, but cluster showed 572750, and it is OK (921753 km = 572750 miles).

- DME showed 153000 (probably miles?)

As you can see according cluster the difference is 2079 miles and it is probably correct.

The mileage that ISTA read 2 months ago was 237047 km (or 147294 miles), but DME now shows 153000 and 153000-147294=5706 miles...

From which module ISTA read that mileage two months ago I dont know. I know that few days ago we tried to connect car with cluster disconnected and ISTA showed 0 km (because cluster/kombi was disconnected).

Now...nothing makes sense
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #15
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:

Now...nothing makes sense
Did you ever figure this out?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #16
draganp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Did you ever figure this out?
No, I think that my friend who had that problem just gave up. It is too expensive for changing part and try to figure out whats the problem.

PS You're from Macedonia?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
No, I think that my friend who had that problem just gave up. It is too expensive for changing part and try to figure out whats the problem.

PS You're from Macedonia?
You could just change the numbers to desired value. Won't be more than replacing the parts. Yes, I'm from Macedonia.
Appreciate 0