E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#3)

Closed Thread

01-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #67
nvez
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 GLE63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Rogers still has an unlimited data plan, don't they?
i think they do but i'm pretty sure their services are not offered in QC for internet

also, there's TekSavvy, they have an unlimited plan too, they seem to be pretty good from what I read

although calling sales, no one ever answered, which is never good...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #68
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvez View Post
i think they do but i'm pretty sure their services are not offered in QC for internet

also, there's TekSavvy, they have an unlimited plan too, they seem to be pretty good from what I read

although calling sales, no one ever answered, which is never good...
Correct - no Rogers in QC. Not sure why I even mentioned it.

Teksavvy - that's weird. They are by far one of the BEST ISPs around. Take it from my many years of having all kinds of ISPs - Teksavvy's been around for some time, and, shockingly, their people are, well, savvy - if you call in with a Linux problem, they will actually try to help and not tell you to "format". They were one of the first to offer dryloops (rather than say "uh ... what loop?" like Bell did), as well as do other neat things, like fixed IPs on DSL and other stuff. Highly recommended. I am simply on contract with Videotron, hence didn't check - but for DSL I would go with them ahead of any other ISP.
      01-07-2011, 02:33 PM   #69
nvez
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 GLE63s

Quote:

Teksavvy - that's weird. They are by far one of the BEST ISPs around. Take it from my many years of having all kinds of ISPs - Teksavvy's been around for some time, and, shockingly, their people are, well, savvy - if you call in with a Linux problem, they will actually try to help and not tell you to "format". They were one of the first to offer dryloops (rather than say "uh ... what loop?" like Bell did), as well as do other neat things, like fixed IPs on DSL and other stuff. Highly recommended. I am simply on contract with Videotron, hence didn't check - but for DSL I would go with them ahead of any other ISP.
I agree with you, I've heard all that about them to, just don't have the personal experience to back it up or recommend them
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #70
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

I can comment their DSL is very good, at least
      01-07-2011, 02:50 PM   #71
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
I can comment their DSL is very good, at least
Des fautes d'orthographes bêtes sur leur site web. tsk! tsk!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:51 PM   #72
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
hmm. I just accidentally some bilsteins (shocks). arr.
BTW Glen, I still cannot understand this post.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 02:55 PM   #73
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Des fautes d'orthographes bêtes sur leur site web. tsk! tsk!
Mon chum, ils sont d'Ontario. Sois heureux qu'ils sont capables de s'exprimer avec des fautes, ce qui est déjà mieux que d'autres Ontariens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
BTW Glen, I still cannot understand this post.
Skipping a verb in a sentence in Internet-speak is indication of feeling sheepish, such as in this original sentence that started this trend: "Hey guys ... I accidentally 93MB of .rar files. What should I do?". I therefore sheepishly indicated that I have accidentally bought some Bilstein shocks without intending to.
      01-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #74
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Good points, same with Bell I guess! Advantage Rogers.....
All the ISP have some aspect of bandwidth limits or throughput throttling on content type.

On a side note, ran sniffer to trap PS3 network traffic and my 1.5 hr film munched up 4.7GB combined. The quality is pretty good though.
      01-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #75
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Good to know.
      01-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #76
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Mon chum, ils sont d'Ontario. Sois heureux qu'ils sont capables de s'exprimer avec des fautes, ce qui est déjà mieux que d'autres Ontariens.

Skipping a verb in a sentence in Internet-speak is indication of feeling sheepish, such as in this original sentence that started this trend: "Hey guys ... I accidentally 93MB of .rar files. What should I do?". I therefore sheepishly indicated that I have accidentally bought some Bilstein shocks without intending to.
In that case, I dont mind accidentally taking them off your hands.
      01-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #77
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
In that case, I dont mind accidentally taking them off your hands.

we'll see when spring comes around. i think they should be better than stock, though.... then again, my H&Rs are already akin to a fully welded solid suspension, so i doubt they will improve things any.
      01-08-2011, 12:36 AM   #78
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:

we'll see when spring comes around. i think they should be better than stock, though.... then again, my H&Rs are already akin to a fully welded solid suspension, so i doubt they will improve things any.
are u on aftermarket springs right now with stock shocks? i think the bilsteins might work better with the higher spring rates of aftermarket springs.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 05:55 AM   #79
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
are u on aftermarket springs right now with stock shocks? i think the bilsteins might work better with the higher spring rates of aftermarket springs.
Here's hoping. It seems, though, that H&R is the stiffest no matter what you do (though the fastest around a lap) among them all - so I guess I will have to endure. Hehe.
      01-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #80
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Here's hoping. It seems, though, that H&R is the stiffest no matter what you do (though the fastest around a lap) among them all - so I guess I will have to endure. Hehe.
yea but with a stiff spring, u usually want a more capable damper that can properly damp the spring to prevent the ride from getting too bouncy. i think the bilsteins would do that job. it wont make your car less stiff but it will give it less uncontrollable bounce on rough roads.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 05:09 PM   #81
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
yea but with a stiff spring, u usually want a more capable damper that can properly damp the spring to prevent the ride from getting too bouncy. i think the bilsteins would do that job. it wont make your car less stiff but it will give it less uncontrollable bounce on rough roads.
Cool - that should be fun then. I'll put them on in spring when I do the summers, do an alignment at the same time. See how much our roads have offset it.
      01-08-2011, 08:51 PM   #82
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Springs are pointless without a matched damper. Send them back.
      01-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #83
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Springs are pointless without a matched damper. Send them back.
...... wot?

please not to be confusing spring when snow melts to springs that go underneath money eaters otherwise known as vehicles.
      01-09-2011, 03:46 AM   #84
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
...... wot?

please not to be confusing spring when snow melts to springs that go underneath money eaters otherwise known as vehicles.
Ok, maybe a little harsh, but springs alone in our cars dont really do a whole lot to improve handling. For the most part, the dampers (shocks) play a more signifacant role in the cars suspension, taming the energy absorbed by the springs by disappating it in a controlled fashion.

Without a tuned dampening device present, a car's spring will extend and release the energy it absorbs from a bump at an uncontrolled rate. The spring­ will continue to bounce at its natural frequency until all of the energy originally put into it is consumed. This makes for an extremely bouncy ride and, depending on the terrain, an uncontrollable car.

Enter the damper. A slick widget that attentuates the energy absorbed by the spring by turning the kinetic energy of suspension movement into heat energy that can be dissipated through hydraulic fluid.

Bilstein makes some awesome spring/damper combos for our cars, but alas, nothing for the XI. You'll need to consult AST, H&R, KW or TC Klein for suitable solutions.

So if you are hell bent on updating the springs on your car and will be keeping the original dampers, you will need to get springs that would have suitable ratings for your dampers and that have appropriate loaded rates for the front and rear. A lot of trial and error I'm affraid. Which is why the manufacturers listed above have such expensive solutions - but they work.

If you are looking for a particular application (grandpa comfy float feel, race track stiff, or anything in between) drop me a PM. I can give you the run down for our XIs.
      01-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #85
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Ok, maybe a little harsh, but springs alone in our cars dont really do a whole lot to improve handling. For the most part, the dampers (shocks) play a more signifacant role in the cars suspension, taming the energy absorbed by the springs by disappating it in a controlled fashion.

Without a tuned dampening device present, a car's spring will extend and release the energy it absorbs from a bump at an uncontrolled rate. The spring* will continue to bounce at its natural frequency until all of the energy originally put into it is consumed. This makes for an extremely bouncy ride and, depending on the terrain, an uncontrollable car.

Enter the damper. A slick widget that attentuates the energy absorbed by the spring by turning the kinetic energy of suspension movement into heat energy that can be dissipated through hydraulic fluid.

Bilstein makes some awesome spring/damper combos for our cars, but alas, nothing for the XI. You'll need to consult AST, H&R, KW or TC Klein for suitable solutions.

So if you are hell bent on updating the springs on your car and will be keeping the original dampers, you will need to get springs that would have suitable ratings for your dampers and that have appropriate loaded rates for the front and rear. A lot of trial and error I'm affraid. Which is why the manufacturers listed above have such expensive solutions - but they work.

If you are looking for a particular application (grandpa comfy float feel, race track stiff, or anything in between) drop me a PM. I can give you the run down for our XIs.
fine, way to go putting me to shame for trying to joke around and actually doing a good writeup. thanks for that

i actually already had a set of H&Rs on my car since what, a year ago or so. drop's great, but yeah - it did tend to be bumpy, and i got this weird feeling that it's gotten bumpier in the last months - so i thought hey, maybe i should replace the shocks before they wear out to keep some life on them for future uses.

So I found these:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html..._ID=E9XXISPSET

For XI models. Seem to get very good reviews and overall positive feedback.
      01-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #86
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
fine, way to go putting me to shame for trying to joke around and actually doing a good writeup. thanks for that

i actually already had a set of H&Rs on my car since what, a year ago or so. drop's great, but yeah - it did tend to be bumpy, and i got this weird feeling that it's gotten bumpier in the last months - so i thought hey, maybe i should replace the shocks before they wear out to keep some life on them for future uses.

So I found these:

Nice find. They look like the B8's. Price is very reasonable. Does Turner have a matched progressive spring recommendation (pring rates - 260F/520R comfort, 300F/600R sporty, 400F/800R track)?
      01-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #87
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep

Quote:
Nice find. They look like the B8's. Price is very reasonable. Does Turner have a matched progressive spring recommendation (pring rates - 260F/520R comfort, 300F/600R sporty, 400F/800R track)?
They don't explicitly recommend anything. Also, H&R does not give out their spring rates; it would seem that Eibach, which is a softer ride, has around 170F/600R, which would put mine stiffer than that. They are progressive, which is a good thing.
      01-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #88
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

So I found these:

ECS has two offerings from Bilstein as well. One for the OEM strings and one for lowering springs.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-335...ension/Shocks/

These should help with body roll and make for a more nimble car.