E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > having difficulty replacing rear deck speakers

03-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
divemedicine
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

having difficulty replacing rear deck speakers

I have a 2008 335i sedan and one of the speakers on the rear deck is loose and rattling. I took the grille off and the speakers are screwed in from underneath, meaning I have to take the rear deck up to tighten it. Anybody have an idea how to do this?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
piggelin
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i E90 2005

is it a e90?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

You have to pull the rear seat and the C pillars. It is a PITA. Some on the board have recently done it as part of audio installs - wait a few and they will probably make some comments
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
wareagle900
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

hmm, I just removed the rear deck but you shouldn't have to to tighten the speakers.mine were screwed in with 8mm screws from the top. but nevertheless, here is what you need to do. These directions are based on a 2006 e90 330i so there could be some differences but this will give you the general idea.Also, this car did not have folding seats so I will include directions in removing that.

Tools needed:
Socket kit (anywhere from $20 to $150)
Torx driver kit ($15 from home depot)
Torx t20 screwdriver or screwdriver kit ($3 to $10)

Time: ~2 hrs. if you go really slow and careful.

Difficulty: Medium to Medium hard

*If you have folding seats, skip to #4

1) Pull up on the rear seat. It will just pop right off, it is held on with 2 big clips. don't be afraid here, you wont break it.

2) Now, look at the bottom of the seat back in the middle. there are two big bolts hidden slightly by the leather. You will need a socket wrench and a torx t50 driver to remove them. The are VERY tight so it will take some muscle. I recommend you have an extension on your wrench as well as a piece of pipe to slip over the end for more leverage. Yes, they are that tight!!!!

3) Once the bolts are removed, crawl into the trunk and look near the back for a white plastic clip on either side recessed into the trunk sheet metal. Once you find them, you will have to play around with them with a big flathead screwdriver to release the seat back itself. once you release both clips, the seat back will lean forward and can be lifted up and removed.

4) Next look at the rear deck itself. The leading edge towards the front of the car, (once covered by the seat) is held down by 4 or five small plastic clips. To remove these, you will need an interior removal kit or tool. You could attempt to remove them with a flathead screwdriver but i highly recommend that you don't. There is a high likelihood you will break one or all if you try this. Remove all 5 clips and set aside.

5) now, there are three child safety restraints held in by 1 torx bolt a piece. I do not recall the exact torx needed but i think it was a t40? Remove all three as well as their plastic housings and set aside.

6) Now you need to remove the c pillars. to do this, first find the plastic "HPS" cover in the c pillar. this piece just pops out (use a small flathead). Behind the cover is a single torx t20 screw. Remove this screw and set aside. now here's the tricky part. You need to pull the c pillar towards the steering wheel. it is held in by an additional 2 clips that are hidden behind the trim itself. they are released by sliding the whole piece towards you. at this point, you will be able to peer behind the trim to see what I am talking about. Slide the piece towards you as far as it will go and then pull it off the pillar in the direction of the opposite c pillar. Repeat this process for the other side.

7) now the rear deck will slide towards you and out of the car. It is snugged in pretty tight so in takes a little wiggling out. The problem in your case is that the speaker wires will still be connected to the speakers. If you pull it out too far or too fast you could damage the speakers, the wires, or both so be careful when doing this!

8) once you have everything tightened down, assemble everything back together in the reverse order of how you took it off!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
divemedicine
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

thanks a bunch for your help. I will try it this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
wareagle900
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i

No problem, AS VP said, it is a pain but you gotta do what you gotta do i guess....
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
Herakles
Captain
Rep
Drives: United States

Oooof
Appreciate 0