E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > carbon filter idea

01-03-2007, 08:03 AM   #1
BMWMICHAEL_52
Client Advisor, BMW West Springfield, MA
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 ALPINE WHITE

carbon filter idea

Has anyone tried removing the paper filter, and just leaving the carbon filter? Thoughts, suggestions, ideas...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
would that let too many large particles through?
      01-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesmu
would that let too many large particles through?
      01-03-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
BMWMICHAEL_52
Rep

I wonder if it would let anything throught that a K&N wouldn't!?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #5
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
carbon filter is in front of the K&N filter.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
BMWMICHAEL_52
Rep

What I meant was...on a conventional setup, without a carbon filter... someone that uses a K&N (or similar) vs. a paper filter. The K&N will allow larger particles through, especially if it is not cleaned and greased regularly.

My idea was to drop the paper filter, or K&N altogether, and just run with the carbon filter. I have seen threads that people cut out the carbon filter and run just the paper filter, or K&N setup. My thought is why go through all of the effort, when you can just pop out the regular filter, and run the carbon one.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #7
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMICHAEL_52
What I meant was...on a conventional setup, without a carbon filter... someone that uses a K&N (or similar) vs. a paper filter. The K&N will allow larger particles through, especially if it is not cleaned and greased regularly.

My idea was to drop the paper filter, or K&N altogether, and just run with the carbon filter. I have seen threads that people cut out the carbon filter and run just the paper filter, or K&N setup. My thought is why go through all of the effort, when you can just pop out the regular filter, and run the carbon one.
cannot do that. Does not make sense. Here is why. You only want to use the carbon filter. Well, as you know, it gets very dirty under the bonnet. How you ganna replace the carbon filter when it has accumulated tons of debris on the surface? Have you ever opened the airbox filter and looked at a filter that has been in there for 1 year, there are all sort of debris (dead insect parts-wings, legs, head, eyeballs , fine sand, dust).
      01-03-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
BMWMICHAEL_52
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
cannot do that. Does not make sense. Here is why. You only want to use the carbon filter. Well, as you know, it gets very dirty under the bonnet. How you ganna replace the carbon filter when it has accumulated tons of debris on the surface? Have you ever opened the airbox filter and looked at a filter that has been in there for 1 year, there are all sort of debris (dead insect parts-wings, legs, head, eyeballs , fine sand, dust).
I guess you could just remove the box, and blow out the debris periodically....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2007, 05:15 PM   #9
Alpine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
if you really want to try it- and risk screwing up your brand new engine.. then go ahead, and tell us what its like.
      01-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #10
///Matt
United States Marine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txusa03
I can't recall, but is the carbon filter between the engine and the paper filter, in the airstream, or BEFORE the paper filter?

If it's BEFORE the paper filter (I.E. fresh air hits the carbon filter BEFORE it hits the paper filter) then nothing is stopping what txusa is decribing from happening. The carbon filter is ALREADY getting filthy and has no way to be replaced easily.

If it's AFTER the paper filter (between the filter and the engine) then yeah, txusa is right, it's a bad idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Driv3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matt
I can't recall, but is the carbon filter between the engine and the paper filter, in the airstream, or BEFORE the paper filter?

If it's BEFORE the paper filter (I.E. fresh air hits the carbon filter BEFORE it hits the paper filter) then nothing is stopping what txusa is decribing from happening. The carbon filter is ALREADY getting filthy and has no way to be replaced easily.

If it's AFTER the paper filter (between the filter and the engine) then yeah, txusa is right, it's a bad idea.
i am 80% sure its after, and im also sure that this wouldnt be a good idea...why mess with BMW's design? Doing this will give you what? like MAX 4hp (which I doubt as well) and at the same time, your jeopardizing your engine life....and problems may occur.....
      01-04-2007, 07:27 AM   #12
BMWMICHAEL_52
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv3r
i am 80% sure its after, and im also sure that this wouldnt be a good idea...why mess with BMW's design? Doing this will give you what? like MAX 4hp (which I doubt as well) and at the same time, your jeopardizing your engine life....and problems may occur.....

I guess that is my point with all of this... I've read that people have removed the carbon filter and put in a K&N. What gain are they getting? What we need someone to do is to dyno a car-

1. stock
2. without the paper filter, with carbon
3. with K&N, with carbon
(cut out carbon filter here)
4. with just paper filter
5. with just K&N

If someone is bored and wants to try it, I can get you cheap time at Bristol Dyno in East Hartford, CT www.bristoldyno.com (I told him not to name it 'Bristol Dyno' because if he ever moves....)
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
acbtx
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

now wait a second- charcoal filter removal

I just traded my e60m5 and ordered a 335 manual and one of the mods everyone did on the m5 was remove the charcoal filter. Turns out BMW added the charcoal filter to meet CA emission restrictions for US cars only and if you look at the European or Canadian cars, they didn't have the filters. What would be great is for someone to scan the schematics of the european car airboxes and see if they have two filters. When I pulled the charcoal filter from my m5, it made a noticeable difference in throttle response and the car definitely breathed easier. Since I don't have my 335 yet I can't check but in the m5, the paper filter (orange frame if I remember) was behind the charcoal filter and if the 335 is the same, I will definitely be pulling it. It was a fifteen minute free mod on the m5. Can someone from across the pond pull and scan the schematic of european airbox pretty please? For those of you who have looked at your airbox filter - go see the m5board.com site, search for charcoal filter removal and see if its the same setup.
Appreciate 0