E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Can E90 post sometimes make you feel shortchanged....

03-12-2009, 07:21 AM   #23
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
I dont agree, It seems anycar you own is special and an enthusiast car.
I am not enthusiastic about your car in the slightest.

There are plenty of people enthusiastic about the New 3 series. Just look at the amount that turn up to meets let alone others who lack the time.

My mates a Pug man, been to ''So called'' enthusiasts meet and they sit there talking shit and never drive them..

He came to his first meet with me last year and had a great time with some real car enthusiats who use there cars properly.
+1

If you look at the bimmerpost home page Nic.......

An enthusiast BMW Forum and BMW News site focused on the new BMW 1-series (135i), BMW 3-series (335d, 335i, 330i, 328i, 325i), BMW M3, BMW Z4, BMW X6, BMW X5, BMW X3, BMW 5-Series and 7-Series

Then browse through how many posts are added a day, and then tell me a huge chunk of these guys (and gals) are not BMW enthusiasts.

The only non-BMW enthusiast I know on here is YOU! You always seem dead against our 'driving aids' and the fact our cars are 'new and boring'??
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #24
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
Seriously Carl, "not JUST another car" not being funny but thats what MOST of them are, not many enthusiasts drive 3 Series BMWs in relative to how many there are about on the road.
True, but they are real wheel drive and designed to handle.

That makes them different to the norm.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:27 AM   #25
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Seriously Carl, "not JUST another car" not being funny but thats what MOST of them are, not many enthusiasts drive 3 Series BMWs in relative to how many there are about on the road.

Fairly "high end" and "desirable" to masses does not an enthusiast car make! Nor would I say everyone on here is a genuine petrolhead!

Not saying I dislike them, they look nice and can look fantastic with subtle mods and have a good - excellent level of performance.

Great modern car but not the most exciting thing in the world

Meant with all due respect, I'm not saying my car is great but more of an enthusiasts car, oh but all one colour and a nice interior like your 3'ers would be lovely
The MR2 was never an enthusiast's car. It was a mass market sports car made by a mass market Japanese manufacturer. I know, because I nearly bought one many years ago, but went for a Nissan 200sx turbo instead. They have become a car that some people are enthusiastic about modding, tuning etc. This can be said of any mass market marque. My RX8 was more unique than my BMW and the club was full of 'enthusiasts', but no more so than on here!

Of course there will be many BMW drivers who never attend a meet, never use the car to anything like its potential and could never be called enthusiasts. Carl my be guilty at times of being over-enthusiastic...but he makes some fair comments about the drivers on this forum and the passion shown for the car. The BMW is a high end desirable and aspirational car for many people. I have friends who would love to own one, colleagues who are impressed with its design and family who see it as something a bit special. It isn't 'just another car' as far as I and many other people on here are concerned, which is why we spend time on this forum. We like our new, safe, powerful and comfortable cars. That doesn't mean that we're not car enthusiasts! You don't have the monopoly on that just because you choose to drive older/different vehicles.

RockIt!

Last edited by RockIt; 03-12-2009 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: typos
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:30 AM   #26
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
The MR2 was never an enthusiast's car. It was a mass market sports car made by a mass market Japanese manufacturer. I know, because I nearly bought one many years ago, but went for a Nissan 200sx turbo instead. They have become a car that some people are enthusiastic about modding, tuning etc. This can be said of any mass market marque. My RX8 was more unique than my BMW and the club was full of 'enthusiasts', but no more so than on here!

Of course there will be many BMW drivers who never attend a meet, never use the car to anything like its potential and could never be called enthusiasts. Carl my be guilty at times of being over-enthusiastic...but he makes some fair comments about the drivers on this forum and the passion shown for the car. The BMW is a high end desirable and aspirational car for many people. I have friends who would love to own one, colleagues who are impressed with its design and family who see it as something a bit special. It isn't 'just another car' as far as I and many other people on here are concerned, which is why we spend time on this forum. We like our new, safe, powerful and comfortable cars. That doesn't mean that we're not car enthusiasts! You don't have the monopoly on that just because you choose to drive older/different vehicles.

Go Rockit oh and Nicola MR2's are Shite
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 10:31 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post

Well said!
      03-12-2009, 11:13 AM   #28
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I've belonged to a few car forums and the only important thing about the members is that they especially like the car(s) on which the forum is based.

They don't join because they have a car of that make. They join because they also particularly like that car.

You are absolutely right, the majority of BMW owners buy the badge or because in that price range and type of car, it makes the best business sense.

But that's the point, the people on here fit the profile of the first two paragraphs, not the third. It is pointless for you to bang the drum, as you have, that it isn't special, nor exciting, and sometimes can provoke others. If you did this anywhere else on another brand of car, you would get the exact same reactions - or worse than you get here.

We have a special interest in these cars. It's not as if we go around boasting that our cars are the best in the world - look at the threads where people were asked "what would you buy next, or if you had it all to do again would you have bought something else?". 3 series was not the commonest answer, or even BMW come to that.

There is no point in "correcting" us so stop digging the hole!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #29
squeezebm
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I've belonged to a few car forums and the only important thing about the members is that they especially like the car(s) on which the forum is based.

They don't join because they have a car of that make. They join because they also particularly like that car.

You are absolutely right, the majority of BMW owners buy the badge or because in that price range and type of car, it makes the best business sense.

But that's the point, the people on here fit the profile of the first two paragraphs, not the third. It is pointless for you to bang the drum, as you have, that it isn't special, nor exciting, and sometimes can provoke others. If you did this anywhere else on another brand of car, you would get the exact same reactions - or worse than you get here.

We have a special interest in these cars. It's not as if we go around boasting that our cars are the best in the world - look at the threads where people were asked "what would you buy next, or if you had it all to do again would you have bought something else?". 3 series was not the commonest answer, or even BMW come to that.

There is no point in "correcting" us so stop digging the hole!

YEH YEH !!!! GRRRRRRRR

and Mr2's are stiil shite
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #30
E902717
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E91 335d M-Sport

i think someone is digging themselves a hole

E90post uk is probably not the best forum to have a dig about the BMW 3 series

The Toyota MR2 is also a massed produced car just like our 'boring' 3 series

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #31
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
You were not Enthusiastic about your BMW's or Porsche, many on this forum are.

That makes them Enthusiasts cars. Look at Tony's car, the amount of time and effort and money gone into it and its now a SUPERB car. He would not have done it had he not been ''Enthusiastic'' about the standard car.
      03-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #32
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
I think Peter maybe started this thread knowing it may spiral into controversy lol (lighthearted interlude btw).

Depends on how you quantify 'enthusiast' imo and certainly nobody needs to justify their level of appreciation for their car. To most of my friends and work colleagues they are mystified that I would spend money getting my car detailed and consequently believe I am a petrolhead. I am enthusiastic about my car, or indeed all the cars I've owned over the years. Yes, perhaps bordering on passionate........... after all it is easy to be passionate about something that brings you so much pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #33
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
How you can say that Porka is beyond me.
      03-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #34
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Also I know of a MASSIVE Ford following, but dont tell me, there not enthusiasts cars either.
      03-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #35
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Fully agree Carlos!

The thing that puzzles me, is that just about the only member of this forum that has never owned an E9* is the one that is saying it is a run of the mill car - not exciting?

Sorry Nic, to US they are exciting and special, which is why we share our passion on a forum called E9*post.com - the clue is in the name!!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:28 PM   #36
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Some are, some aren't.

Does not the car but the driver make, does that make you feel better?
They are only an enthusiasts car when owned by enthusiasts!

Does not mean 100% of the drivers are enthusiasts, but you will find enthusiast clubs/groups/forums - just like this one!!!

Maybe you should save up and buy an E9* and then you may appreciate where we are coming from
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #37
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
This has all been blown way out of proportion. Lets just leave it at that shall we?

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #38
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Third statement, perhaps not everyone is as fortunate as yourself.
Nicola, please. Paul, myself and others are fortunate only by the fact we are older, in full time employment and have more than likely owned and driven pretty much mediocre vehicles whilst in our twenties, therefore overall, our actual time of owning a premium marque is to date, short.

Try looking at what you have rather than what you don't or can't have. That's like me wishing I could live with all the millionaires two miles up the road from me and never having to work again. Two friggin hopes there. We all make do and appreciate what we do have - life I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #39
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

[QUOTE=beemerbird;4686325]I think Peter maybe started this thread knowing it may spiral into controversy lol (lighthearted interlude btw).QUOTE]

Helen, actually I did not start the thread for that reason. It was more a representation of modern life and how product lifecyles have shortened and marketing gets under our skin. It makes us think in a potentially irrational way about our pleasures/hobbies in life. Suddenly a SE needs to be a Sport then the Sport has to be an M or a modded car. In reality all are very good and fantastic looking but we are pulled into that next model up syndrome.

It was more a reflection that it's sad that what we currently own feels that little bit less special and the enjoyment is mentally diminshed. Maybe the current economic climate may have the country thinking differently and we may become a less throw away society. It's fairly disapointing that the thread has become a shouting match.
      03-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #40
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I was not enthusiastic about my BMWs or Porsches??? BMW maybe not though they are nice cars, Porsches come off it I'm lot bigger Porsche fan than I'll ever be an MR2 fan and you know that.

I'm just saying the Boxster (for example) is not an "enthusiast" car to me though you can be enthusiastic about the car, Tony (for example) has turned a non enthusiast car into an enthusiast car, it was not an enthusiasts car to begin with though as stated with the Boxster comment you can still be enthusiastic about it, hence doing mods etc. etc.

Understood? Yay? Nay? Maybe yes, maybe no.
I think you've gone completely barking mad Porscha.

To most people a 'car enthusiast' would be a person who loves the act of driving and the engineering that makes it possible.

Some people might be into fast cars, others may be interested in historic cars thats personal preference.

The 3 series handles stunningly well for a medium sized saloon car. BMW have built a reputation on this and it delivers.

I've got back into my car after a day driving some serious track oriented metal at Palmersport and it I did not find it wanting AT ALL.

I've also driven it at Snetterton and found that the handling was every bit as good as the journalists say.

The 3 series manages combine a level of driver enjoyment that would shame the majority of dedicated sports cars of the last 10-20 years with a huge degree of practicality.

They make sense on every level. If I didn't have a family I'd have a 2 seater out and out sports car. But .. I need a car with four seats and right now I can't afford 2 cars. So I choose the VERY next best thing. A car that does all the practical stuff AND delivers the driving thrills.

You seem to be saying that an 'enthusiast' would not want a stock 3 series.

That is complete and utter nonsense.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #41
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
I know you didn't Peter - tongue in cheek etc.

I understand what you are saying but I wouldn't hold your breath about the country becoming 'less of a throw away society' as I believe this could well be a generation thing, in as far as we have a generation that has known nothing but 'I want, therefore I will get'. Or maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old woman and need to have more faith in the younger generation.

Personally, I choose to sacrifice having other things to own and fully enjoy the car I can afford. Perhaps being brought up as an Accountants daughter makes you appreciate the value of things.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #42
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

I my car

I love most of the other cars on here too. I aspire to some (M3 one day!!) but have always aspired to better cars since my 1.4 Astra days (and I loved my Astra when I had it).

I love looking at the M3's and 997's and, thankfully, have never had 'inferiority' thoughts about my car.
      03-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #43
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
All possibly offending posts have been deleted Hope everyone can carry on with the original discussion.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #44
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
perhaps not everyone is as fortunate as yourself. While on the subject I'll probably have one in the future as a daily driver (I do not dislike BMW in any way) the cars I am saving for aren't exactly everyday material
You make your own fortune in life Nic! Seven years ago I jacked in a good job with company car etc... took out a large bank loan secured against my house and started my own business. At the time I was running a £500 Mondeo and concentrating on paying the mortgage each month. With hard work I have climbed the business ladder, property ladder and vehicle ladder. I am very proud of the car I own. I work hard to pay for it. I also class myself as a car enthusiast (restored Beetles, built a kit car, etc.) and do like to better myself in the car stakes. As the thread says, people always like to wonder what comes next. My M3 will be the next rung on my vehicle ladder.

Maybe jumping from one Uni course to another is not going to actually help you achieve your car dreams? One thing I do know is that you will only get there through hard graft. When you are there, and you own your dream car, maybe YOU will also be a little defensive of a uni student saying your car is 'nothing special'
Appreciate 0