E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > N54 all metal water pump from Pierburg

12-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #1
igneouss
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93

N54 all metal water pump from Pierburg

New here. Hi!
In my case it's a 2010 335i Cabriolet. 60k miles.
As far as I can tell it's running on the original water pump.
My plan is to address this soon.

Reading: cracked plastic housings are the primary failure of the old pumps. Do knowledgeable folks here agree with this?

Following on from that: Is the newer 'all metal' product from Pierburg the solution to this problem? Does it last?

Looking forward to learning more about this. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #2
ParadeinBerlin
Oil Dispenser
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5M

Garage List
2011 BMW x5M  [0.00]
2014 320i (F30)  [0.00]
1999 328i (E36)  [0.00]
2012 335i (E92)  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by igneouss View Post
New here. Hi!

Reading: cracked plastic housings are the primary failure of the old pumps. Do knowledgeable folks here agree with this?

Following on from that: Is the newer 'all metal' product from Pierburg the solution to this problem? Does it last?

Hello, good post because I too am looking for a more reliable water pump for my N55 BMW. I might give this one a try so I went ahead and ordered it. Zero to 60 is a YouTube channel based in Australia that does plenty of work with N54 powered BMWs. They used this pump on their built 7 speed-DCT swapped N54. They have not complained about it after driving the car hard under an aggressive drag tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:46 PM   #3
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
New here. Hi!

Just for what it’s worth, my 140K N54 is on the original water pump (to my knowledge, I’ve not replaced it in the 60K miles I’ve owned it for) - no shadow codes of impending failure either.

Might be worth saving your money for when it actually does fail...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #4
igneouss
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody007 View Post
Just for what it’s worth, my 140K N54 is on the original water pump (to my knowledge, I’ve not replaced it in the 60K miles I’ve owned it for) - no shadow codes of impending failure either.

Might be worth saving your money for when it actually does fail...
Hoody, as I suspect you know, our water pumps have a reputation for failing and stranding people. Lots of reports of people on their third pump, etc. My inclination is to R and R parts that have spotty reliability and can leave you stranded.

It is cool that you caught a good one.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 11:00 AM   #5
Chapperss
I only ride park
Rep
Drives: e93 335i Msport FBO 2+

Quote:
Hoody, as I suspect you know, our water pumps have a reputation for failing and stranding people. Lots of reports of people on their third pump, etc. My inclination is to R and R parts that have spotty reliability and can leave you stranded.

It is cool that you caught a good one.
You`ll fit in well here, lot`s of peeps on this forum that love their preventative maintenance. Aka replacing shit that`s working perfectly fine.

90k here and water pump still working.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
igneouss
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapperss View Post
You`ll fit in well here, lot`s of peeps on this forum that love their preventative maintenance. Aka replacing shit that`s working perfectly fine.

Bummer, I guess the engineers at FCPEuro and the dozens of users here with failed pumps forgot to check with you first.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 12:17 AM   #7
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Quote:
Quote:

Bummer, I guess the engineers at FCPEuro and the dozens of users here with failed pumps forgot to check with you first.
There's a balance, of course.

That being said, it's pretty simple to scan the car for codes relating to the pump. Gives one enough time to order the pump and install it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2021, 04:07 PM   #8
MrSteak
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i Coupe (6-speed)

This is the first I've seen of this metal water pump, but I'd get it.

My OFHG was leaking, so I looked into preventative maintenance items that can be installed along with that job, and came across the Rein aluminum coolant flange upgrade. It was only like $20, but I'm glad I did it. It wasn't leaking yet, but if you look at the photo I posted in my thread, you'll see it was a problem, and potentially damaging my coolant system; despite it not leaking yet.

As far as a water pump, I wouldn't replace it for no reason, but if you're replacing other parts in that area, have an OLD water pump, or plan on keeping the car for a long time, and want to be safe...... It's probably a good idea.
      12-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:

Exactly! Is dumb to replace the coolant pump if is working ok. Replacement might not even out live the old pump. Additionally, making conclusions that a particular pump will last because someone else is on a aggressive tune and pump is holding up is dumb as well. For reference my 2008 335i with 125k is on a 4th pump. Original and 2nd replacement pumps failed internally. 1st replacement cracked. I have a replacement pump ready but I won’t be installing it unless current pump fails.
Appreciate 0