E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Halogen to LED's

12-08-2021, 10:54 AM   #1
Rolling Art
Private
Rep
Drives: 99 M Coupe

Halogen to LED's

Hello All,

I'm in need of some advice.

I just ordered $500 worth of LED replacement bulbs for my 2012 328xi wagon (halogen setup) and my mechanic said they had to split the casing to fit the LED's, which now have a ton of water in them. The shop is willing to replace my headlights w/another set of Halogens which they aren't happy about but at least they are willing to make things right.

Question is.....did they really have to split the casing to fit them ? Is there any way of sealing the headlight casing now ? I'm absolutely racked off as I'm unable to drive my car due to water inside clouding the LED's projection and as it's winter here in NH and the moisture will not clear up, only getting worse.

I'd happily buy bi-xenons but the shop says they can't do the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:27 AM   #2
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

What led bulbs cost $500?
Led halos? Or led low/high beams?

The casing does not have to split to fit led low beam bulbs.

Maybe they did split the access door to the bulbs for the led resistors and moisture got in like that.

For led halos, it does have to be split.

On my halogens, I used these LED bulbs and the resistors fit inside the housing.

H7 LED Bulb, CAR ROVER 50W 10000Lumens Extremely Bright 6000K CSP Chips Conversion Kit, Halogen Replacement https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQBWR5F...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 08:44 AM   #3
Rolling Art
Private
Rep

I bought high/low beam LED's and also LED's for the Halos, Fog lights and a can bus thing that came out to $500.

Is there any way to reseal these casings so I don't get moisture/water inside of them ?

I'm just going around in circles currently and wasting time and money. I'm actually contemplating selling my wagon as I just don't have the resources here in NH to help me out and I don't have the time nor the tools to do things myself.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
smatanovic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 eDrive 40 mSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling Art View Post
I bought high/low beam LED's and also LED's for the Halos, Fog lights and a can bus thing that came out to $500.

Is there any way to reseal these casings so I don't get moisture/water inside of them ?

I'm just going around in circles currently and wasting time and money. I'm actually contemplating selling my wagon as I just don't have the resources here in NH to help me out and I don't have the time nor the tools to do things myself.
I have morimoto 2stroke 3.0 LED bulbs in my LCI halogen housings for low and high beams and they fit inside the standard housings and caps. No need to crack the housings open.

Also, Lux LED halo bulb replacements definitely do not require you to break anything open: they simply slot in to the housing in place of the incandescent bulbs, and use the existing harnesses.

Last edited by smatanovic; 12-09-2021 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:30 AM   #5
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

There is ways to reseal the lights.
Here’s a good video.

But you say the shop is buying you a new set of lights.
I’d either put the led low beam bulbs and a led halo ring bulb into the new set.
Or
Return all that stuff you bought and buy an aftermarket set of lights for $500 with different Angel eyes already installed.
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
Rolling Art
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
There is ways to reseal the lights.
Here’s a good video.

But you say the shop is buying you a new set of lights.
I’d either put the led low beam bulbs and a led halo ring bulb into the new set.
Or
Return all that stuff you bought and buy an aftermarket set of lights for $500 with different Angel eyes already installed.
Mate.....I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and knowledge.

The shop isn't buying me "new", looks like they are trying to source a pair of used ones but mine were like new so we shall see how this ends up.

I'm contemplating selling my wagon over these issues as it's depressing when one is willing to spend the money but no one in the state can get the work done. At this point I've started looking for another wagon that already has the mods I'm looking for.

I'd buy aftermarket headlights but not sure where to go for that and or the quality of what's out there. I never had these issues across the pond but again I'm not here to tar everyone with the same brush over my probs in my state.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 03:08 PM   #7
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

Yea, I meant new to you lights.
Just find the cleanest set you can and tell them to buy those.
What are you trying to achieve with your current lights?
New style halos? Brighter low beams?

This company will modify your headlights if you send them in.
https://www.ossdesigns.com/3-series-e90-program

The xenon lights are nice but the halos are bad on them. You’ll find yourself trying to modify them too.
There’s so many DIYs online that you can modify the car yourself.
It will be harder to find something modified to your taste.

What state are you in? Theres got to be someone near you that can do this work.

For aftermarket halogen headlights, there’s a few online, but I can’t vouch for their quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
Rolling Art
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serf27 View Post
Yea, I meant new to you lights.
Just find the cleanest set you can and tell them to buy those.
What are you trying to achieve with your current lights?
New style halos? Brighter low beams?

This company will modify your headlights if you send them in.
https://www.ossdesigns.com/3-series-e90-program

The xenon lights are nice but the halos are bad on them. You’ll find yourself trying to modify them too.
There’s so many DIYs online that you can modify the car yourself.
It will be harder to find something modified to your taste.

What state are you in? Theres got to be someone near you that can do this work.

For aftermarket halogen headlights, there’s a few online, but I can’t vouch for their quality.
We live in the mountains of NH & I'm trying to get much better lighting due to local moose, bears, deer, etc and yes I wanted the halos as well but just working ones in white light. Basically the full Monty if possible without going radical.

In NH and the only shop I've come across that I thought could do the work are the ones that balls'd my headlights. They are a nice bunch and trying to make things right but they don't seem to have the skillset and or experience that I've come across in different parts of the US that we've lived. Everyone else I've reached out to will only do conventional repairs.....no mods.

Last edited by Rolling Art; 12-09-2021 at 06:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #9
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep

The adaptive feature on oem xenon lights would help around corners, but it would need retrofitting. From what I see, you need to add some ground wires to the headlight pigtail
Harness and code the frm.

The led bulbs I posted I earlier will fit in both your high beam and low beam slots.
You can get white led bulbs for the halos.
And don’t have to split open the lights.

You can also get led foglight bulbs.
Foglights+low/higbeam on would be bright.

Or try some aftermarket lights.
Appreciate 1