E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > HELP(no communication with DME) car cranks but wont start

09-21-2020, 04:24 PM   #45
oilcrankinject
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: nothing

I have the same problem.

I had to swap motors, everything worked. Swapped motor developed bad misfires, I got tired of that so I rebuilt my original motor. I put the rebuilt motor in and I see the same exact errors.

I bought a used MSD81, same errors. Me=???

ETA: My fault, motor works. I somehow forgot to plug in the small gray wiring harness into my DME. No faults now.

Last edited by oilcrankinject; 09-22-2020 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:34 AM   #46
YASSA
Rep
Drives: 2011 E70 X5M

Does anyone have an update to this? Car won't start or crank, can't communicate with the DME whatsoever
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 07:30 AM   #47
andrey.kvotchenko
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw x3 f25 28i

I've got the same issue. 2ACC code. replaced battery registered battery, replaced the relay under the hood next to the DME. replaced the 30G relay. same issue carnk but no start. the weird thing is I have a MHD tune and i Can tune the DME and everything connects fine. I can read codes and reset adaptations.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 06:22 PM   #48
Giannibravo
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i e90

Did you figure out the problem ?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2020, 11:33 AM   #49
riverside96
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 320D

I'm also having DME problems, did this ever get resolved? & does anyone know how i would check the DME is receiving power?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 04:45 PM   #50
Mittzy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-335xi-N54-E92 View Post
Hi guys I had same exact problem and I found the problem and fix it. My 2008 BMW 335xi e92 crank but won’t start I found the problem
And got it fix it was electrical. If any one is having problems like this let me
Know and I’ll help out. Since this is an old thread I’ll wait for any ones respond
I also need help Please.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 09:59 PM   #51
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittzy View Post
I also need help Please.
We ALL "Need Help" -- it's just that SOME of us don't realize it YET.

So to get help, you need to tell us:
1) What issues, performance Faults, Warning Lights, Fault Codes is your car exhibiting?
2) What is the Model, engine & build date of your vehicle or better yet, so we can provide correct wiring diagrams & component locations, what are the Last-7 Characters of your Vehicle's VIN?
3) If you have access to ANY Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (such as INPA or ISTA) please indicate the Make & Model.

As example, the last post BEFORE yours asked HOW one would check Power Supply to DME. The answer to that question depends upon the engine/DME & build month/year of the vehicle. There are a number of ways of checking DME Main Relay operation.

The easiest way to check for "Terminal 87" function is by using INPA, which can give you an indication of whether the DME Main Relay is being activated (turned on) when Ignition is turned on (as it should) and what the voltage reading at that terminal is. If your Scan tool cannot connect AT ALL to the DME, odds are quite good it is NOT being powered. INPA can connect to the OBD II Socket and give you that information in 2 minutes.

Otherwise, you may need to open your E-box, identify the DME Main Relay, and use a Multimeter to test for voltage at the correct Connector & Pin (requires circuit diagram & Component Location info from ISTA. If you answer the questions above, we can begin the process, if you at least have a Multimeter.

George
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:09 AM   #52
z335g
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Manual

lots of good info in this thread but sadly I am unable to solve my issue:

I have a 2007 335i shell and a 2006 engine and harness. All plugs up fine to ecu box apart from the early engine harness uses 2x 8 pin conectors and the 2007 shell uses 1x 12 pin conectors.

Without the aditional connectors in the ecu box connected, I get no crank. Matching up the like colours gets me crank no start....also have no communication with DME.

Where do I go from here? Should I have dme communication with ONLY the DME connectors connected?

(I have access to istap/d/inpa/ncs)

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #53
z335g
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
We ALL "Need Help" -- it's just that SOME of us don't realize it YET.

So to get help, you need to tell us:
1) What issues, performance Faults, Warning Lights, Fault Codes is your car exhibiting?
2) What is the Model, engine & build date of your vehicle or better yet, so we can provide correct wiring diagrams & component locations, what are the Last-7 Characters of your Vehicle's VIN?
3) If you have access to ANY Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (such as INPA or ISTA) please indicate the Make & Model.

As example, the last post BEFORE yours asked HOW one would check Power Supply to DME. The answer to that question depends upon the engine/DME & build month/year of the vehicle. There are a number of ways of checking DME Main Relay operation.

The easiest way to check for "Terminal 87" function is by using INPA, which can give you an indication of whether the DME Main Relay is being activated (turned on) when Ignition is turned on (as it should) and what the voltage reading at that terminal is. If your Scan tool cannot connect AT ALL to the DME, odds are quite good it is NOT being powered. INPA can connect to the OBD II Socket and give you that information in 2 minutes.

Otherwise, you may need to open your E-box, identify the DME Main Relay, and use a Multimeter to test for voltage at the correct Connector & Pin (requires circuit diagram & Component Location info from ISTA. If you answer the questions above, we can begin the process, if you at least have a Multimeter.

George
I dont have any voltage at dme relay, can you help me please?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2021, 01:32 PM   #54
z335g
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335g View Post
I dont have any voltage at dme relay, can you help me please?
Okay so after unwrapping the engine harness I dont see any connection for +ve so no wonder the dme is getting no power. I was able to bridge the dme relay from the waterpump fuse and GOT COMMUNICATION WITH DME VIA OBD.

I think the issue is because the 2006 loom does not have connection to the 2007 shell for power.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2021, 03:54 AM   #55
FREE90
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
need advice having the same issue.. 2007 328xi car was running fine just had a ledge wear problem so i dropped a used low mileage 2009 N52 in now i have no communication with the DME ive checked all the wiring, fuses, ect. also changed the IBS same result. also tried a spare DME still no communication. im stuck not sure what to do next again the car turns over but does not start and my autel maxisys pro does not read dme reads all other modues.. Help PLEASE!!!
Did you figure out the issue ?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:03 PM   #56
hatton1992
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 3-Series (E90 E92)

hatton1992

hi all, I need some help if anyone can. so I have a BMW 2006 model 320d, I was driving then it just cut out with 3 lights. the engine didnt die like a lake of fuel more like I turned of the ignition.
when I connected my launchx431v I received a lot of codes but most being linked to DME-DDE
1. CED4 = no message 0xaa receiver EKPS, Transmitter DME-DDE.
2. A3AD = message Engine data 0x1d0 Faulty, Receiver KOMBI, Transmitter,
3. 9CCC = Exhaustive-Discharge Protection of battery, Deactivation, side marker light
4. 9315 = KOMBI Odometer Difference
5. A3AE =message engine speed, 0x0AA faulty. receiver KOMBI Transmitter DME-DDE
and about 5 more

I have tried accessing the DME-DDE on x431v but is says not fitted

so I check fuses, relays and read some forums

up on looking at the DDE under the hood I found that the DDE relay pin 30 had no power, pin 87 grounded, pin 85 dead (no ground or power).
In the fuse board inside car pulled the circuit cut off relay and power had returned to pin 30 even when plugged back in

so I'm stuck as pin 30 I think goes to F54 fuse and some how connected to the circuit cut off relay.
pin 85 goes to DDE pin 44. think this is meant to have 12v when ignition off and ground when ignition on (completing the relay circuit)

pin 87 to fuses under hood

Is my DDE dead as I have no power/ground at pin 85
hope someone can help thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #57
hatton1992
Registered
Rep

hatton1992

sorry if not meant to post here I'm new and don't know how to create a new forum thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #58
hatton1992
Registered
Rep

I forgot to say the car is carnk but no start
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 07:43 AM   #59
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatton1992 View Post

up on looking at the DDE under the hood I found that the DDE relay pin 30 had no power, pin 87 grounded, pin 85 dead (no ground or power).
In the fuse board inside car pulled the circuit cut off relay and power had returned to pin 30 even when plugged back in

so I'm stuck as pin 30 I think goes to F54 fuse and some how connected to the circuit cut off relay.
pin 85 goes to DDE pin 44. think this is meant to have 12v when ignition off and ground when ignition on (completing the relay circuit)

pin 87 to fuses under hood

Is my DDE dead as I have no power/ground at pin 85
hope someone can help thanks
I may not be understanding your description of the problem correctly.

However, if you are saying that you have 12v at relay terminal 30 (which is pin 6 of connector X2085) but cannot detect 12v at relay terminal 85 (pin 4) when the ignition is off, then 1) the relay coil is open; 2) a wire/connector is faulty; 3) the DDE has brought terminal 85 to ground without being commanded to - which would energize the relay and power up the rest of the DDE. I doubt scenario 3 is happening but who knows.

In the ISTA diagram available to me, relay terminal 30 is supplied from a wire from the jump start terminal in the engine compartment (G6430) which originates at fuse F102 at the rear fuse carrier A46 (on top of the battery). Relay terminal 87 should be powered when the relay closes, supplying fuses F01-F04 inside the DDE box and power to the DDE. I don't see F54 involved in this.

First step in diagnosis for me would be to pull the relay and put 12v across terminal 30 (positive) and 85 (negative) - you should hear the relay click and observe +12v at terminal 87 (relative to 85). Or at least use a DVM to determine the resistance of the relay coil.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 09:54 AM   #60
Hampuslantto
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 320d -07

Same proboem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
I may not be understanding your description of the problem correctly.

However, if you are saying that you have 12v at relay terminal 30 (which is pin 6 of connector X2085) but cannot detect 12v at relay terminal 85 (pin 4) when the ignition is off, then 1) the relay coil is open; 2) a wire/connector is faulty; 3) the DDE has brought terminal 85 to ground without being commanded to - which would energize the relay and power up the rest of the DDE. I doubt scenario 3 is happening but who knows.

In the ISTA diagram available to me, relay terminal 30 is supplied from a wire from the jump start terminal in the engine compartment (G6430) which originates at fuse F102 at the rear fuse carrier A46 (on top of the battery). Relay terminal 87 should be powered when the relay closes, supplying fuses F01-F04 inside the DDE box and power to the DDE. I don't see F54 involved in this.

First step in diagnosis for me would be to pull the relay and put 12v across terminal 30 (positive) and 85 (negative) - you should hear the relay click and observe +12v at terminal 87 (relative to 85). Or at least use a DVM to determine the resistance of the relay coil.

Hey man, i have like same issue, can you maybe help me?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 12:54 PM   #61
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampuslantto View Post
Hey man, i have like same issue, can you maybe help me?

1) Describe in detail what kind(s) of problems you are having

2) List all the error codes you see. If you haven't read the codes, do so now

3) Provide the last 7 digits of the VIN so your model, year and options can be determined.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 01:47 PM   #62
Hampuslantto
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e91 320d -07

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
1) Describe in detail what kind(s) of problems you are having

2) List all the error codes you see. If you haven't read the codes, do so now

3) Provide the last 7 digits of the VIN so your model, year and options can be determined.

Vin/ KZ22238

Faultcodes in inpa/e90/functional Jobs, 2 Pictures
View post on imgur.com

im Using Google translate so if its something you can’t read so please just reply to me and i try do to it better!

Has a BMW e91 320d from 2007 that gave up. Has worked just fine until one day when I just turned it off, would leave 2 hours later and the car was stone dead, runs around nicely on the starter motor but simply refuses to start. Has received error code on ABS, gearbox, tire pressure and more. The error codes occurred when I tried to start it, have bought a new battery and plugged in and at the same time run with a battery charger so there is power, have connected with inpa but it does not connect to the ecu, but connects to the remaining modules. Have googled and received different answers, I have changed cables at the back of the battery, have checked all fuses and relays both in the car and under the hood. Has replaced most fuses and relays. Have measured that I have power to the fuse holder and current goes through all except fuse f04 under the hood, have followed the cable from it and it goes up in a connector then it ends. It stays in the "male”part of the connector. Has removed and opened the ECU box to check for burn marks / oxide, but looks really nice. Have measured pin 1 & 7 to ECU which should be + and they have good volts, have measured can high and can low and both are between 2.0-2.4v. I then know that I have power up to the ECU, but get no answer with inpa when I try to connect. What is the next step? Send ECU box away? Could they be something else that haunts? All help is gratefully received.

Last edited by Hampuslantto; 03-04-2022 at 01:50 PM.. Reason: Forgot some things
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #63
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampuslantto View Post
Has a BMW e91 320d from 2007 that gave up. Has worked just fine until one day when I just turned it off, would leave 2 hours later and the car was stone dead, runs around nicely on the starter motor but simply refuses to start. Has received error code on ABS, gearbox, tire pressure and more. The error codes occurred when I tried to start it, have bought a new battery and plugged in and at the same time run with a battery charger so there is power, have connected with inpa but it does not connect to the ecu, but connects to the remaining modules. Have googled and received different answers, I have changed cables at the back of the battery, have checked all fuses and relays both in the car and under the hood. Has replaced most fuses and relays. Have measured that I have power to the fuse holder and current goes through all except fuse f04 under the hood, have followed the cable from it and it goes up in a connector then it ends. It stays in the "male”part of the connector. Has removed and opened the ECU box to check for burn marks / oxide, but looks really nice. Have measured pin 1 & 7 to ECU which should be + and they have good volts, have measured can high and can low and both are between 2.0-2.4v. I then know that I have power up to the ECU, but get no answer with inpa when I try to connect. What is the next step? Send ECU box away? Could they be something else that haunts? All help is gratefully received.

Improper power to the DME is the simplest and most likely explanation for your symptom (lack of communication with DME).

Some of your diagnosis is helpful - the fact that you see power on pin 1 of the DME means that K2003a (DDE main relay) is working. However, power to the DME needs to be supplied on three pins; 1,3,5. Pin 7 is the Terminal15WUP which is a signal line (wake up), not power. If you don't observe 12v on all three pins, think about corrosion at connector A2076.

Also, there are three grounds that should be checked; pins 2,4,6.

As you can see in the schematic, F4 is, in fact, not connected to anything. F3 is the only one that supplies the DDE
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 04:07 PM   #64
manecasbraga
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-335xi-N54-E92 View Post
Hi guys I had same exact problem and I found the problem and fix it. My 2008 BMW 335xi e92 crank but won’t start I found the problem
And got it fix it was electrical. If any one is having problems like this let me
Know and I’ll help out. Since this is an old thread I’ll wait for any ones respond
buddy can you help me i have a same problem i check everything and i cant find anything
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2023, 05:34 AM   #65
Haimish
Registered
Rep
Drives: M135 F20 LCI

Howdy legends.

Got me an 06/2017 335i auto - e90

Purchased car that had water get in due to rain. Dash hardly worked but car ran

Dme had an inch of corrosion. Sent off and “ fixed” at a Local electrical store. No won’t fire. Will crank.

Dme relay has power - earth has .5 v.

same with 30amp fuses 37-42 - get up to half a volt while lpfp is cycling.

No power to dme. Have Thor and MHD however no codes -

Thanks in advance

NE95244
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 02:51 PM   #66
stefan.nastase
Rep
Drives: E91, F31, G31

BMW E90 No communication with DDE

Hey guys,

I am experiencing the same problem on an '07 E91. My battery died and when I tried to jump start it, all kind of warning lights appeard (transmission, ABS etc.). I plugged in ISTA, no communication with DDE, actually it won't even show a DDE is installed on my car... I checked the connections to the DDE, everything seems to be good: there is power supply, the grounds are ok, relay is working. What should I try now?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0