E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > M57 3l Diesel Engine Squeak

05-05-2021, 12:51 PM   #1
willjec
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d M Sport Touring

M57 3l Diesel Engine Squeak

Hi, first time BMW owner here. Purchased a 2006 BMW 330d M Sport Touring about a month ago with 115k miles and I'm loving it so far, 1 owner and main dealer serviced its entire life, but had been sitting the past year due to the pandemic etc.

I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but I'm hoping to attempt a lot of the regular maintenance myself. I was hoping to get some insight into a noise that I'm hoping to fix, previous owner wasn't aware of what was causing it and there are no warning lights or codes on the dash indicating that anything mechanical had broken yet. I've had a look on YouTube, in online forums but can't find anyone facing the same sound as me, usually their noises seem to be more of a squeal. Any help or insight would be much appreciated!

Here's the link: (Video taken on the right hand side of engine bay, near oil dipstick, hopefully its long enough to illustrate the problem)

https://youtu.be/uNQMMSp60d0
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
willjec
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E91 330d M Sport Touring

Found out what it is

Figured I'd post a follow-up, after a few searches, came up with a video detailing the sound, turns out it is the EGR pressure converter, a small valve on the side of the engine.
Appreciate 0