E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Coding paddle shift - anyone succeed?

08-18-2016, 01:06 AM   #23
mkramer37
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Any updates on this thread? Was there a connections between the wires coming from the slip ring to the gear selector through the A4010 junction box?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2020, 11:55 AM   #24
Sulphurman
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 1.8d Xdrive

Just trying to get my head around this. Not sure if anyone anywhere ever got to the bottom of it but I've fitted a wheel with paddles (resistor type) to my e84. Looks great, just doesn't do what it should. MF buttons work of course, but I would really love to get those paddles working in an OEM way. I think people have usually just given up as it's too bloody difficult to get your head around and made a connection to the gear shifter. I'm trying to apply a bit of logic to see if I can get it done, and would love some input (if anyone's interested). I don't really want to take a soldering iron to my paddles if I don't have to. I SHOULDN"T have too, surely!

My car is a late model 2015 e84 and came without paddles. It has the auto 8 speed and it appears to me from my investigations that the wires to the A4010a are there in the connectors. I have changed the FA/VO in CAS and NFRM to include 2XA and coded the entire car, but no luck...

So what could be wrong? It's like they are just not connected. Now, as this module (JBE?) sits underneath the fusebox A4010 (am I reading this right?) then there must be some reason for the wires from the paddles to be on one connector (X14271) and the wire to the EGS on the other (X14272).

Could there be a fuse that has to go in? I read on a forum for X5's that someone measured 5v at the two pins and that if there is voltage there, paddles will work. I know that's another model and things may be wired different, but the principle of having 5v connected says to me that circuit must be protected somewhere.

Any input or thoughts very welcome
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 10:09 AM   #25
Sulphurman
Rep

Ok so on further investigation there can be no fuse as the wires seem to go simply through the JBBF module. Barking up the wrong tree was I.

Now another problem. My car is RHD and the only info on the connector blocks under the bonnet I can find is for LHD. Can anyone tell me where to find the X6021 on a RHD car?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #26
Sulphurman
Rep

Success!

Further update: I cross-referenced with some other diagrams that mention connector X6021 having CAN inputs and ascertained that it is indeed the black connector seen bottom right of the photograph in my previous post. I checked that the bottom of the connector was populated with wires running to the transmission and happily they were there. I then managed to find a clearer wiring diagram explaining the right connections to make and realised, although my car had the connections going from the steering column to the junction box on X14272, they were missing from X14271 to the engine bay and X6021. As soon as I made those connections, the paddles worked!

Name:  Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 23.03.41.png
Views: 2703
Size:  94.8 KB

I'm not able to say definitively if the previous coding had any part to play, but I might 'un-code' and check in the future.

Now comes the difficult bit....

The connections I made to test my theory obviously were temporary and went from the junction box under the glovebox, through the passenger door window, and under the bonnet into the engine bay. I now need to find a way for those two little wires to join the others that go through the bulkhead. This will no doubt involve some dismantling of the engine bay wiring box to gain access to the place where this happens but I'm sure it's possible. I'll update again when I've done it.

Maybe no one is interested or even bothered by this but if it helps someone searching in the future for an OEM way to add paddles to their E89 variant then I'm happy to have helped.
Appreciate 3
      12-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #27
///Makis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulphurman View Post
Further update: I cross-referenced with some other diagrams that mention connector X6021 having CAN inputs and ascertained that it is indeed the black connector seen bottom right of the photograph in my previous post. I checked that the bottom of the connector was populated with wires running to the transmission and happily they were there. I then managed to find a clearer wiring diagram explaining the right connections to make and realised, although my car had the connections going from the steering column to the junction box on X14272, they were missing from X14271 to the engine bay and X6021. As soon as I made those connections, the paddles worked!

Attachment 2420656

I'm not able to say definitively if the previous coding had any part to play, but I might 'un-code' and check in the future.

Now comes the difficult bit....

The connections I made to test my theory obviously were temporary and went from the junction box under the glovebox, through the passenger door window, and under the bonnet into the engine bay. I now need to find a way for those two little wires to join the others that go through the bulkhead. This will no doubt involve some dismantling of the engine bay wiring box to gain access to the place where this happens but I'm sure it's possible. I'll update again when I've done it.

Maybe no one is interested or even bothered by this but if it helps someone searching in the future for an OEM way to add paddles to their E89 variant then I'm happy to have helped.
Can you do a write up on this?

I have an e82 and want to do this in the future but I have no idea how to do the coding etc

Pleased to hear,

M
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 02:31 AM   #28
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Makis View Post
Can you do a write up on this?

I have an e82 and want to do this in the future but I have no idea how to do the coding etc

Pleased to hear,

M
I've stopped working on it for the winter as I don't have a garage, but will do a write up when I get going again. I think the only coding needed would be to change the type of paddle used so if you have a wheel that was current on your model year, it should work with no coding required. Although I will check this theory.

Apart from that the coding I was trying was with NCS Expert and should be well documented, changing vehicle options, writing to the car & then letting the car decide what coding files to demand from the computer.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 02:15 AM   #29
kulfon3
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 E84 LCI Xdrive25d

Thumbs up

Sulphurman, I've had the same problem with the paddles retrofit for my X1 E84 LCI (09.2013) until I've accidentally stumbled upon your post! There is no information on the internet regarding paddles retrofit for E-series cars with 8HP gearbox so your post was a "life saver"

Together with my friend we've checked the wiring in my car and compared it with the info from TIS and it seems that I'm also missing the connection from jbbf to X6021. The rest of the wiring is there.

I'm planning to verify if your solution will work in my case. The coding was done beforehand. I reckon the best way to get the wire from the engine bay to the cabin will be through a hole just beneath the DME box and straight to the cabin just beneath the golvebox.

I think you should post a DIY on some X1 E84 forum as this solution will be useless for E9X or 1 series users hence their cars don't have 8HP gearbox.

Once again thanks for your input so far

Last edited by kulfon3; 01-27-2021 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 02:52 AM   #30
Sulphurman
Rep

Hey that's great! Interesting to see the inside of that left hand drive version box - not like the picture in the manual! I will also be dismantling it when the weather is warmer and I am less busy, as it is the only route into the passenger compartment. You are quite right.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #31
kulfon3
Rep

exactly,in the reality it looks different than in TIS. If not your post I would have difficulties with locating the X6021.

Anyways, this retrofit in my case didn't work out yet. I've tested the connection and the paddles were not working, but there was a signal from the paddles to the X6021...
Apparently my car was not coded properly for paddle shifters
As I have to rely on someone else with coding I need to wait until this person will be available to code it for me again.

Can you please advise what coding have you done exactly so I can tell him exactly what has to be done?

btw I think dismantling the box to put the cable through will be a huge pain in the ass... For now I just want to see the paddles working
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 10:05 AM   #32
Sulphurman
Rep

This:
Quote:
I have changed the FA/VO in CAS and NFRM to include 2XA and coded the entire car
I'm not too worried about dismantling that fuse box - as long as everything is labelled/photos are taken, the connectors are colour coded and/or uniquely shaped so shouldn't be too huge a task.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 05:00 AM   #33
kulfon3
Rep

No need to dismantle the fusebox. I've managed to run the wire through a plastic cover just behind the junction box. You just need to remove the ventilator for the A/C (the one beneath the glovebox) and you will see this round,gray cover. I've made a small hole in it and fed the wire straight to the DME box. Someone has also done the coding you have mentioned,but the paddles still dont work. Do you remember if after coding have you performed gearbox flash?

THIS IS HOW I RAN THE WIRE FROM JBBF (inside the cabin) TO THE X6021 (in the engine bay):
When you remove the AC fan which is located beneath the glovebox you will see a gray cover that leads to engine bay. On the picture you can see I already drilled a tiny hole in there and put the blue stick in there just to mark the spot:

This is where it comes out in the engine bay (basically straight in the DME box):

I ran the wire through there:

And straight to the X6021 ( pin no 12):

Et voila!

Unfortunately the paddles still don't work!

Last edited by kulfon3; 05-08-2021 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Pictures update
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #34
Sulphurman
Rep

Just checking, but you did connect both wires?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 05:52 PM   #35
kulfon3
Rep

According to TIS there is only one wire to run from jbbf to the x6021...
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...les/1VnY7Nf04e

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #36
Sulphurman
Rep

Quote:
Check the diagram - this is the one for our car! Make those connections and I don't think you'll need to worry anymore about coding!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 01:15 PM   #37
kulfon3
Rep

Quote:
Check the diagram - this is the one for our car! Make those connections and I don't think you'll need to worry anymore about coding!
Thanks for the advice. I think this diagram is for 6HP gearbox, but I'll give it a go.
Sticking with TIS proved do far that not all the information there is on point.

EDIT:
Sulphurman's way of running TWO extra wires from JBBF (pin 22 and 38) to DME BOX (pin 11 and 12) has worked. I can confirm that now my car has also working shift-paddles. Anyone trying to make this retrofit in E84 LCI with 8hp gearbox bear in mind not to look at the diagram for 8hp gearbox on TIS as you will be missing ground wire.... You need to look at 6hp diagram... And make sure to add these connections:

22 on X14271 to 12 on X6021
38 on X14271 to 11 on X6021

Extra wires already in place (pin 11 and 12) on X6021:

Connected:

Thanks Sulphurman!

Last edited by kulfon3; 05-13-2021 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: update.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #38
Sulphurman
Rep

Appreciate 0