E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Single Turbo JB4 MAP Question.

03-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi 6MT

Single Turbo JB4 MAP Question.

Hi All,

I just took my single turbo build out for its first drive. On map 1, which is supposed to be the safety map/ WG map, it's targeting 17psi. From what I understand that's map two. I'm hitting about 17.5+/- so it getting close to what it wants, but it should not be wanting that, it should only be about 12psi based on the wastegates.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 08:32 PM   #2
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Map1 runs 0% WGDC so you'll make whatever the spring pressure is. The 17psi target is just to allow the throttle safety to work if you jump over that for some reason.

Sounds like you need a lighter spring.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:10 AM   #3
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Map1 runs 0% WGDC so you'll make whatever the spring pressure is. The 17psi target is just to allow the throttle safety to work if you jump over that for some reason.

Sounds like you need a lighter spring.

Mike
I was hoping that wouldnt be the case. I’ll have to tear half the car apart again to ge to them.

Im running the green and white spring which says 11.6psi. I find it odd that it would be off by 50%. Any chance I could have messed with the settings on map 1 WGDC by mistake?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 07:20 AM   #4
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

What ports are you utilizing on the wastegate and how do you have the boost sources ran?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:30 AM   #5
Hyaboosta
Rep
Drives: 335xi

is it a doc race kit your running? I had the same issue on mine when i first tried it on map 1. i needed to put a 90 deg elbow on the fitting from the compressor because with the filter on it was bending the vac source hose a little and causing it to over boost. once i fixed that it got down to 15psi with the 11.6 spring. 2-3 psi of boost creep is pretty standard from what ive found from people with the same kit due to the placement so far on the wastegates.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
What ports are you utilizing on the wastegate and how do you have the boost sources ran?
I don't think I would be able to do a good job of describing it, but I basically copied how the guys on 'Budget Bimmers' did theirs. If by chance you've seen the video. Which matches up with the picture on N54tech as well.

I am using the very top center ports (T'd together) to go up to the left port of the MAC solenoid. THen the bottom ports (T'd together) run up and T's again into the boost reference port off the turbo and then run to the right side to the MAC solenoid.
Appreciate 1
type-dRew641.00
      03-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyaboosta View Post
is it a doc race kit your running? I had the same issue on mine when i first tried it on map 1. i needed to put a 90 deg elbow on the fitting from the compressor because with the filter on it was bending the vac source hose a little and causing it to over boost. once i fixed that it got down to 15psi with the 11.6 spring. 2-3 psi of boost creep is pretty standard from what ive found from people with the same kit due to the placement so far on the wastegates.
Yes I am running a doc race kit. I will have to check and see if its pinching it when I get home, I do know that it was pushing on it back during the initial installation, but I though I had pulled it out and away. Then again I have had the filter off and on a couple times since then.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
cortez08
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyaboosta View Post
I had the same exact problem as soon as I took the turbo guard off and installed a filter. Make sure you are using a 90 degree elbow off the compressor as stated above.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortez08 View Post
I had the same exact problem as soon as I took the turbo guard off and installed a filter. Make sure you are using a 90 degree elbow off the compressor as stated above.
Ok so I checked and sure enough the line was bent prety good. I put a 90 on it and I went out and did a short drive (didnt log the 1 pull, dont know why, but it still feels every bit as strong.) not sure if that lessend the boost or not, will have to get back to you guys in a few days when the road isnt a mud pit, rain is comint tonight so i wont be able to get out till next week.

If this doesnt fix it , i may have to go in and do the wastegates again. What a pain. For now it needs to stay because i cant get to my basement or out of the driveway for a while with the lawn and road now all mud.

I greatly appreciate the help from all you guys. If you think of anything else to check let me know.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
woodex m.e.
Private First Class
Rep

Mike@N54Tuning.com I have a technical question about these Tial wastegates. I just removed the connection from the MAC solenoid and applied positive pressure to the top ports via a compressor at 25psi and by mouth.....there is resistance initially, but no pressure builds as it leaks down almost immediately. Shouldnt that side of the wastegate be air tight? Just looking for some education.
Appreciate 0