E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Traction control cutting in on motorway/normal driving

03-18-2019, 04:39 AM   #1
smithy15493
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Coupe 2010

Traction control cutting in on motorway/normal driving

I think I have an issue with a speed sensor, but could do with some help diagnosing and what to do next. It is a 2010 E92 320D

It started when I was on the motorway, the traction control suddenly kept cutting in when I was cruising, so I was gradually losing speed, very scary. It would flash as soon as I touched the throttle. Now it seems to happens over bumps or when turning right with a decent amount of lock (Roundabouts mainly). Turning the DSC/DTC off temporarily fixes this.

Also the tire pressure warning came on permanently for about a week, but this has now gone as I took it in for a recall and I guess they reset it (Tire pressures were fine when I checked)

Any help appreciate, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 06:15 AM   #2
N5GKP
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Have a look at the reluctor rings on the drive shafts (hub end), if they look shiny then they've been rubbing against the ABS sensor & that's your fault
      03-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

as above..reluctor rings,,but some have the ring inside the wheel bearing,,so whole new assembly..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #4
ddogg35
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 318i

Garage List
I had the same issue, eventually the whole tc and abs system will deactivate itself. Not too bad to get fixed only cost £2-300 to replace both both drive shafts
Also whilst you have the fault don't use cruise control because if you are on the motorway and your TC disables itself your car will start accelerating until you disable cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:05 AM   #5
Ben1987
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d

I had the same problem a couple of weeks back !
Code read the car it will store a fault with which ever sensor is giving inconsistencies in readings, don't be to quick to pull apart the drive shafts to replace the reluctor rings, I ordered a cheap sensor of Ebay for 12 quid when you remove the old one you will be able to see the ring through the hole check it for obvious damage and if the spacing in the rings looks different then it will need replacing, but if not put the new sensor in and pray lol, mine had some clean spots on the ring but no obvious cracking so I fitted the sensor and I haven't had the fault again since. Fingers crossed
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 02:36 AM   #6
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben1987 View Post
I had the same problem a couple of weeks back !
Code read the car it will store a fault with which ever sensor is giving inconsistencies in readings, don't be to quick to pull apart the drive shafts to replace the reluctor rings, I ordered a cheap sensor of Ebay for 12 quid when you remove the old one you will be able to see the ring through the hole check it for obvious damage and if the spacing in the rings looks different then it will need replacing, but if not put the new sensor in and pray lol, mine had some clean spots on the ring but no obvious cracking so I fitted the sensor and I haven't had the fault again since. Fingers crossed
if the ring has any damage ike bulges then the sensor will wear away,,simples,,then a new one until its fixed properly
Appreciate 0