E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Emissions testing with EGR, SCR & DPF delete

08-14-2017, 08:01 PM   #1
Waycool Jr.
Rep
Drives: 1997 325IS

Emissions testing with EGR, SCR & DPF delete

I have a 2011 335D and I am getting ready to do some performance mods. I got an EGR delete kit, full ATM exhaust from turbos back, will be pulling intake for a cleaning and swirl flaps removal, wagner ITC and then finally sending ECU for a BPC stage 2 flash. I live in NJ and was wondering if there is a way to pass emissions testing. I know the flash will remove the engine trigger codes but I think when reading OBD2 it will come up as not ready. I was going to see if I could register it agricultural sine I live on a farm, which would exempt me. Just need to carry some produce with me at all times. I am planning on keeping old exhaust but would like not to throw it back on for passing. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep
Drives: 335D black

You obviously have not read the website regarding emissions testing.....

No you can not pass emissions. once you tune your car it will comply with a non street legal vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #3
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Also while a farm plate will exempt you from the emissions test. Read up on the rules... In Texas you are only allowed to go so far from the address it is registered I also believe you are not allowed to drive in the highway and a few other rules.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 08:38 AM   #4
lnxguy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 335D

All depends on what type of emissions testing your state/province has.
      08-15-2017, 09:26 AM   #5
Torqu3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnxguy View Post
All depends on what type of emissions testing your state/province has.
Or how good of a friend you have that works at an inspection shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #6
Waycool Jr.
Rep
Drives: 1997 325IS

NJ has some specific diesel inspection stations for trucks. I wonder if I can get inspected through them. My neighbors all have modified diesel trucks that are definitely not emission compliant.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #7
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep
Drives: 335d

Hello I have the similar questions. I have had other cars and my friends also all have had cars that were tuned and equipped racing exhaust systems. I would say the local shops know how to dyno tune proper because they understand state emissions better in the state that they are operating in. They also have probably studied emissions loopholes better then the shops in states that have no emissions unlike the north part of our country. I would contact local and reputable shops and even if they are far away but should be in that same state as you. The shops that are capable of building their own tunes on BMW are gonna be your number one priority. Use Google! Ask Other successful shops that may not be known to tune BMW but you can ask maybe they know shops that tune BMW near you. (within a 100 mile radius) See if they can point you in the right direction. Once you find a BMW tuner that you think is capable of building a tune or if you know someone who has installed a race exhaust and daily driving the car that was done from a specific shop that’s where you wanna go... Think about it... how do other guys with STI’s and EVOs get away with it? They have full racing exhaust systems from the head of the engine to the end of the exhaust tip... they would laugh at the word (emissions). I see guys out there that have cars on the road that definitely should not pass emissions and somehow they pass every obd2 scan with no cats. 350Z 370z. Corvettes, trans ams, gtos give me a brake.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 01:47 PM   #8
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goboro100 View Post
Hello I have the similar questions. I have had other cars and my friends also all have had cars that were tuned and equipped racing exhaust systems. I would say the local shops know how to dyno tune proper because they understand state emissions better in the state that they are operating in. They also have probably studied emissions loopholes better then the shops in states that have no emissions unlike the north part of our country. I would contact local and reputable shops and even if they are far away but should be in that same state as you. The shops that are capable of building their own tunes on BMW are gonna be your number one priority. Use Google! Ask Other successful shops that may not be known to tune BMW but you can ask maybe they know shops that tune BMW near you. (within a 100 mile radius) See if they can point you in the right direction. Once you find a BMW tuner that you think is capable of building a tune or if you know someone who has installed a race exhaust and daily driving the car that was done from a specific shop that’s where you wanna go... Think about it... how do other guys with STI’s and EVOs get away with it? They have full racing exhaust systems from the head of the engine to the end of the exhaust tip... they would laugh at the word (emissions). I see guys out there that have cars on the road that definitely should not pass emissions and somehow they pass every obd2 scan with no cats. 350Z 370z. Corvettes, trans ams, gtos give me a brake.
it depends only on how your state checks emissions. in Texas any vehicle 1996 and up (obdII) only requires an obdII port inspection.. meaning if they plug the computer in to the port and the ECU tells the computer everything is good you pass.. if you car is 1995 or older up to 25 years old then you have to go on the emissions dyno. you can not cheat that with your car. if you are older than 25 years old or diesel then you are emissions exempt.

i had a 2008 turbocharged Tacoma with no cats or mufflers.. the inspection guy would plug it into the computer and it would say everything is good (through the power of tuning) and i would get my sticker..

if you live in an emissions controlled state that requires an actual smog check you can not cheat the system through a standard test.

these cars you speak of know someone who they can get a sticker from or have the cars tuned to show everything is good.

you can not remove emissions equipment and have a street legal car.
      03-14-2019, 06:08 PM   #9
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am also in NJ, I have not had a sticker on my car in over 4 years, I had one officer question it during a traffic stop, I just told him it was a diesel and didn't have one when I got it (it did) he just shrugged it off.

I too am now doing deletes, and am told my tune will put the computer in a 'ready state' which is all I believe NJ looks at.

I will find out soon. If it does not pass I will just remove the sticker and continue on.

If I really wanted, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy- who may or may not know how to aquire a sticker.... maybe.

My truck is reg 10,000lbs and is inspection exempt, my Envoy has had a red rejected sticker on it since November- eh they don't really care in this state.
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
Spyro235
Captain
Rep
Drives: '10 X5D, '04 330i ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DozerDan82 View Post
I am also in NJ, I have not had a sticker on my car in over 4 years, I had one officer question it during a traffic stop, I just told him it was a diesel and didn't have one when I got it (it did) he just shrugged it off.

I too am now doing deletes, and am told my tune will put the computer in a 'ready state' which is all I believe NJ looks at.

I will find out soon. If it does not pass I will just remove the sticker and continue on.

If I really wanted, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy- who may or may not know how to aquire a sticker.... maybe.

My truck is reg 10,000lbs and is inspection exempt, my Envoy has had a red rejected sticker on it since November- eh they don't really care in this state.
I’m in nj, and know your truck is exempt at 10k lbs. Do you have a non exempt diesel you’re going to try with? I’m getting mine deleted and tuned in two days and will be trying to pass. I’ve heard the readiness will be ready, but I’m not sure how to explain all the new shiny hardware underneath....
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #11
DozerDan82
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro235 View Post
I’m in nj, and know your truck is exempt at 10k lbs. Do you have a non exempt diesel you’re going to try with? I’m getting mine deleted and tuned in two days and will be trying to pass. I’ve heard the readiness will be ready, but I’m not sure how to explain all the new shiny hardware underneath....
They will not look at the car other than to plug in the OBS port. At least that has been every time I have gone to inspection.

Not sure where you are, but my local DMV inspection station (Freehold) you pull in get out, they pull it forward, plug in for the test and its pass/fail move on. Takes a total of 5 mins once you start.

If you saw the cars I have gotten to pass NJ inspection you would be appalled.

But like I said I am not worried either way, as if it does not pass I will just remove sticker and act like it was never there. Play dumb, unless the officer is DOT cert they don't want to deal with it - shy of you pissing them off real good.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 08:39 AM   #12
PerfectAce
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d Sport

The only thing I'll add to this emission testing discussion is that it sometimes matters where specifically you live (or rather, where you car is registered) within a state that will dictate emissions testing requirements.

Using Texas as an example, light-duty diesels are emissions-testing exempt throughout the state. But for gasoline-powered vehicles, it depends what county the car is registered in and what the age of the vehicle is. If you live in certain EPA-designated "non-attainment" areas within Texas (the most populous counties with the worst air quality), your gas-powered vehicle will require at least an OBD-readiness check for emissions purposes. If you vehicle is of a certain age, it may require a tailpipe sniffer two-speed idle or acceleration simulation (dyno) test.

So, to take a worst-case scenario to use as an example to show how widely things can vary from one county to another, say you have a 1995 BMW M5: if it was registered in Travis County it would require a two-speed idle sniffer test. If you live 10 minutes south in Hays county, you could straight-pipe it and nobody would care because it only requires a safety inspection.

This is all to say that all states do things differently and things can even vary within the state. Check with your state's DMV and environmental agency to get the specifics on the laws.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #13
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Mine is currently being deleted, it’s almost done. I’ll let you know when I go to have it inspected, probably next week!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #14
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Mine is currently being deleted, it’s almost done. I’ll let you know when I go to have it inspected, probably next week!
Hello friend how did your obdII port inspection go? And also use the privet messaging to be more discrete.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 03:06 PM   #15
335stoner
BRR tuned
Rep

Quote:
i would have waited then you would have a year to figure it all out and get some dirt on the car hahaha
      03-29-2019, 12:06 PM   #16
Spyro235
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goboro100 View Post
Hello friend how did your obdII port inspection go? And also use the privet messaging to be more discrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335stoner View Post
i would have waited then you would have a year to figure it all out and get some dirt on the car hahaha
Havent tried it yet- Engine light is on for my glow plug controller. Have to get around to replacing it, and I'm currently prioritizing my drift car prep for the season over the glow plug controller.
robnitro160.00
      03-29-2019, 01:02 PM   #17
robnitro
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 35d e70 2011

Don't post it publicly it's better to use pm... I know it's a pain but this is readable by anyone.
Appreciate 1
Spyro235258.50
      03-29-2019, 11:17 PM   #18
Goboro100
Private
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnitro View Post
Don't post it publicly it's better to use pm... I know it's a pain but this is readable by anyone.
Absolutely let’s protect our community and enthusiasts
Appreciate 0