E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > E Series NBT Evo Retrofit Development Thread

02-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #199
domdel
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by dls View Post
Hi everyone. I see there are some great retrofit projects going on in this thread. I just wanted to introduce myself here.
I am new to this forum, but I am known on other BMW forums under nickname '2real4u'. It seems like there is already a (banned?) member on this forum under that nickname from Britain.

I am an author of the NBT firmware unpacker, OTA provisioning XML downloader, NBT/EVO HDD unlock and F30 antenna retrofit instructions.

I currently have an ID5 EVO in my pre-LCI E60 with ceramic ZBE6, TBX, F07 AMPT, black ATM and ICAM with CarSystems adapter.

Since E60 multimedia is very similar to E90 I thought this may be a good place to share some knowledge on retrofits.

One question that has been asked here is flashing NBT or EVO on bench without ZGW. I've discovered a way to do this back in 2014.

For it to work, you need to tweak timers in E-Sys to maximum, set up a DHCP server and connect to the HU through a switch, to minimize the connection downtime. Another option is connecting through a USB ethernet adapter with Asix 100Mbps chipset - it is recognized and supported by both NBT and EVO.
In case of NBT, you need to configure EDIABAS and issue reboot into rescue mode through Tool32 when programming in Esys and the screen turns black.
The screen should turn to blue bootloader mode and Esys should continue flashing the HU.

For EVO you can use the Transmitter included with Esys to force the HU into programming mode when the screen turns black.

That's usually done by ZGW, BDC or FEM, so you are essentially sending this command in place of the gateway.

Hi DLS
I would like to hear more about this. I've been having a hard time trying to flash one of my Nbt evos. Any of your knowledge would be greatly
appreciated. In particular, i would like to hear about the timings to flash and the connection with usb to ethernet adapter, I thought this was only possible on cic. thanks dom
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:19 PM   #200
dls
Rep
Drives: E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by domdel View Post
Hi DLS
I would like to hear more about this. I've been having a hard time trying to flash one of my Nbt evos. Any of your knowledge would be greatly
appreciated. In particular, i would like to hear about the timings to flash and the connection with usb to ethernet adapter, I thought this was only possible on cic. thanks dom
Both NBT and EVO recognize USB adapter. I've flashed over this adapter in past, the process is the same as flashing over Ethernet_63, just the HU IP is different. You could fire up wireshark and filter for 'arp' frames to see the IP of the HU.

As for timing, make sure your E-Sys is set up with largest timeouts possible in settings. When starting flash process, as soon as the HU screen turns black, you would want to issue a command for rescue_mode for NBT or programming mode for EVO. Timing is critical, so you may need multiple attempts to succeed. There is not much time between the moment the screen turns black and E-Sys stops waiting for bootloader mode.

If you send command too quickly, E-Sys would not be able to switch the HU into black screen mode and fail. If you send the command too late, E-Sys will timeout with an error waiting for a response.
If sending command to NBT through tool32, you want to issue the command twice, since it will fail on first attempt, but go through on second.
Appreciate 1
domdel6.00
      02-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #201
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
To add a little about the OABR pins, they are smaller than regular MQS pins, and much more fragile. It took me a long time to figure out why I couldn't get my ATM to work, and it ended up being the OABR connections. I had damaged the pins either while crimping them, or while inserting them into the connector.

I finally removed all the pins that I crimped, and went with precrimped wires - 61119374919. This BMW part is an ethernet repair cable and has MQS connectors on one end and nano-mqs on the other end, so each part will get you one twisted pair. So for an EVO with ATM you would need 4 of these. They are $5 a pop, so they are much more expensive than crimping your own, but it was worth it for me.
That is what I did for my ATM install.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #202
sj22
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 F15 50I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I messed up and bought a roof ATM. Can I just buy the antenna from the donor car and put the ATM + Antenna in the trunk?
Did you ever find the answer to this? I need to find an ATM myself - just incase you are selling yours.

Past: 2013 750i xdrive, 2008 535xi
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:19 PM   #203
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahiljain22 View Post
Did you ever find the answer to this? I need to find an ATM myself - just incase you are selling yours.
I would buy a proper EVO + trunk ATM combo from the same Canadian car.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:34 PM   #204
dls
Rep

Get an ATM from convertible - it comes in a black case and goes into trunk, just like TCB or TCU.
Like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153169841189/

Just make sure it comes from a junkyard, not a repair shop - there was an issue with iStep upgrade bricking early ATMs and you may end up buying an ATM bricked by such an upgrade.

Fun trivia: ATMs run Android.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:38 PM   #205
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Get an ATM from convertible - it comes in a black case and goes into trunk, just like TCB or TCU.
Like this one
https://www.ebay.com/itm/153169841189/

Just make sure it comes from a junkyard, not a repair shop - there was an issue with iStep upgrade bricking early ATMs and you may end up buying an ATM bricked by such an upgrade.

Fun trivia: ATMs run Android.
That is a shitty seller.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #206
dls
Rep

The picture of a BMW parts department box is a concern. How would they get such a box, unless someone ordered a replacement ATM and used a box for an old one? But the listing says there are three available, so I don't know.

I have mixed experience with this seller. I got a working LM2-AHL from this seller many years ago and a broken ZBE3 in 2015 that they've refunded.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #207
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
I've gotten a mix of good and broken things from that seller.

Theyre very good about returns. The only part I kept from them was a screen they said was bad, but it worked.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 01:38 PM   #208
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
That is a shitty seller.
Quote:
The picture of a BMW parts department box is a concern. How would they get such a box, unless someone ordered a replacement ATM and used a box for an old one? But the listing says there are three available, so I don't know.

I have mixed experience with this seller. I got a working LM2-AHL from this seller many years ago and a broken ZBE3 in 2015 that they've refunded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I've gotten a mix of good and broken things from that seller.

Theyre very good about returns. The only part I kept from them was a screen they said was bad, but it worked.
I wouldn't call them 'shitty' - when I was looking for an ATM, I purchased 3 or 4 from them, while none of them worked, they didn't have a problem with me returning them. I think they must buy parts directly from dealers that have been replaced. I honestly can't believe a dealer would be selling replaced parts, I wonder if someone from a dealership has a little side biz going on.

I could close it but I feel doing so would be a victory for the thieves....
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:57 PM   #209
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Both NBT and EVO recognize USB adapter. I've flashed over this adapter in past, the process is the same as flashing over Ethernet_63, just the HU IP is different. You could fire up wireshark and filter for 'arp' frames to see the IP of the HU.

As for timing, make sure your E-Sys is set up with largest timeouts possible in settings. When starting flash process, as soon as the HU screen turns black, you would want to issue a command for rescue_mode for NBT or programming mode for EVO. Timing is critical, so you may need multiple attempts to succeed. There is not much time between the moment the screen turns black and E-Sys stops waiting for bootloader mode.

If you send command too quickly, E-Sys would not be able to switch the HU into black screen mode and fail. If you send the command too late, E-Sys will timeout with an error waiting for a response.
If sending command to NBT through tool32, you want to issue the command twice, since it will fail on first attempt, but go through on second.

How did you code the Icam? The image won't pop up.

Also is this how you cut the hole?

https://www.drive2.ru/l/470311426930508088/

Last edited by Nickco43; 03-05-2019 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:11 AM   #210
dls
Rep

Quote:
How did you code the Icam? The image won't pop up.

Also is this how you cut the hole?

https://www.drive2.ru/l/470311426930508088/
I did not code mine. I am using it as-is, with coding from the donor.
There are a few options to code it:

*Connect ZGW with KCAN3. Connect ICAM to KCAN3. Send wakeup. It should be visible in E-Sys.

*Connect CAN-bridge between ICOM/K-DCAN and ICAM. Use CAN-bridge to wake the ICAM. ICAM should be visible with 'Read ECU'

*Connect K-DCAN or ICOM CAN straight to KCAN2, with ICAM on it. ICAM should be visible with 'Read ECU'

*Connect K-DCAN or ICOM CAN straight to ICAM on bench. Use USB-CAN adapter or a microcontroller to send wakup CAN messages. ICAM should be visible with 'Read ECU'

I was honestly too lazy to go through any of the steps above. I may do that later since my trajectory lines are far from real trajectory.

For cutout, I've made a 150mmx38mm rectangle in Visio. I've attached masking tape over regular paper and printed on top of that. Then I've detached masking tape with a rectangle from the paper and applied it as a template to the trunk opening. The most difficult part was not cutting out the opening, but actually painting the inside edges of the cutout. I've had to get plumbers brush and bend it to reach the internal edges.

There are two kinds of F15 trunk boot handles that are out there. The older kind, that is made in Germany and the newer kind from Eastern Europe. The part number is the same, but the retaining clip is incompatible - it is diagonal on the later boot. The late model boot (not made in germany) is much easier to fit to the custom opening, because of different retaining mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #211
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I did not code mine. I am using it as-is, with coding from the donor.
There are a few options to code it:

*Connect ZGW with KCAN3. Connect ICAM to KCAN3. Send wakeup. It should be visible in E-Sys.

*Connect CAN-bridge between ICOM/K-DCAN and ICAM. Use CAN-bridge to wake the ICAM. ICAM should be visible with 'Read ECU'

*Connect K-DCAN or ICOM CAN straight to KCAN2, with ICAM on it. ICAM should be visible with 'Read ECU'

*Connect K-DCAN or ICOM CAN straight to ICAM on bench. Use USB-CAN adapter or a microcontroller to send wakup CAN messages. ICAM should be visible with 'Read ECU'

I was honestly too lazy to go through any of the steps above. I may do that later since my trajectory lines are far from real trajectory.

For cutout, I've made a 150mmx38mm rectangle in Visio. I've attached masking tape over regular paper and printed on top of that. Then I've detached masking tape with a rectangle from the paper and applied it as a template to the trunk opening. The most difficult part was not cutting out the opening, but actually painting the inside edges of the cutout. I've had to get plumbers brush and bend it to reach the internal edges.

There are two kinds of F15 trunk boot handles that are out there. The older kind, that is made in Germany and the newer kind from Eastern Europe. The part number is the same, but the retaining clip is incompatible - it is diagonal on the later boot. The late model boot (not made in germany) is much easier to fit to the custom opening, because of different retaining mechanism.
Did you cut like the Russian guy and put it in the center or did you just add another hole?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:22 PM   #212
dls
Rep

Quote:
Did you cut like the Russian guy and put it in the center or did you just add another hole?
I've enlarged an existing opening, like what he did. I found that the easiest way to cut for me was to create a pilot slot with dremel and then expand it linearly with oscillating tool using carbide oscillating blade.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 04:58 PM   #213
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I've enlarged an existing opening, like what he did. I found that the easiest way to cut for me was to create a pilot slot with dremel and then expand it linearly with oscillating tool using carbide oscillating blade.

I did a center cut. The fitment could be a tad better. I broke one of the handle tabs and it sags a tad.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:19 PM   #214
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
It never ends

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #215
Mashman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Just FYI for future reference, if you have PDC you can use a trsvc module. It just needs to be installed on the KCAN1 bus, and is fully programable. I have an e93, and vo coded it to a f33.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 09:16 PM   #216
dls
Rep

Quote:
I did a center cut. The fitment could be a tad better. I broke one of the handle tabs and it sags a tad.
I did the same thing. This is why I've ordered a new handle (they are not expensive) and learned that the new type is different (and better!).

ICAM picture quality is better than TRSVC, especially at night. The downside is ICAM is more difficult to code.

I have a spare ZBE-type 4-pin connector installed behind the screen with power and KCAN2 on it. I need to find time to make an adapter from this connector to OBD-female, so I can connect with ICOM directly and code without ZGW.

As you can see from the picture, the PDC distance is accurate, but trajectory lines are way off - too wide and with a sharper turn radius than what I have on RWD E60. I'll probably start with generating a few NCD files from different chassis FAs and compare the value matrixes.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:15 PM   #217
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
I ordered a used handle since the US cars have a different trunk switch than the euro one.

Hopefully It will fit nice with the US handle.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #218
alblue
Registered
Rep

Thanks vilord
With your advice, I can use ZGW on the bench.
As a result, full-screen CARPLAY can be used with FSCMAP's FEMTOEVO.
This solution was essential for ZGW.

My HW 2.3 was okay, but FSC of Friend's F45 HW 41 is canceled and can not be used.

Hello dls,
**** I pm on this issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 01:20 AM   #219
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I did the same thing. This is why I've ordered a new handle (they are not expensive) and learned that the new type is different (and better!).

ICAM picture quality is better than TRSVC, especially at night. The downside is ICAM is more difficult to code.

I have a spare ZBE-type 4-pin connector installed behind the screen with power and KCAN2 on it. I need to find time to make an adapter from this connector to OBD-female, so I can connect with ICOM directly and code without ZGW.

As you can see from the picture, the PDC distance is accurate, but trajectory lines are way off - too wide and with a sharper turn radius than what I have on RWD E60. I'll probably start with generating a few NCD files from different chassis FAs and compare the value matrixes.
The new camera handle come in and is 100% flush with the trunk.

Can I put a hard drive in the Evo?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #220
dls
Rep

Quote:
The new camera handle come in and is 100% flush with the trunk.

Can I put a hard drive in the Evo?
Yes you can. Evo is much less picky about hard drives than original NBT. When I got my Evo, it was from a flooded car, with trashed hard drive. I used a regular laptop 2.5" drive I've had laying around to get it up and running to verify that I don't want to return it to seller. I got a proper automotive drive online, but any drive would work. If you are looking for a larger drive than stock, check out MGU HDD model - it should fit right in, it is automotive grade and larger than Evo drives. MGU comes with HEJ423232H9E300 0A60405 drives.
Appreciate 0