E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Safer to go with JB4 > MHD

03-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: golf tsi

Safer to go with JB4 > MHD

Hi all,

Was wondering if there’s any real difference in effectiveness or safety by going down the MHD tuning route compared to JB4 with a backend flash. Like the idea of being able to manage everything off the app with MHD and buying the maps etc but are there any drawbacks to MHD? Any reasons why I should consider JB4 over MHD other than it being around and more established?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:05 AM   #2
coleybmw335
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT

Hi,

I was in the same boat, I ended up going with MHD with help from a member on this forum to decide, Like you said, MHD is easy for switching maps plus it is cheaper.

From what I read JB4 gives the false parameters, Even tho it has safety features.

I'm glad I chosen MHD
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:53 AM   #3
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleybmw335 View Post
Hi,

I was in the same boat, I ended up going with MHD with help from a member on this forum to decide, Like you said, MHD is easy for switching maps plus it is cheaper.

From what I read JB4 gives the false parameters, Even tho it has safety features.

I'm glad I chosen MHD
Thanks! I’m more leaning towards the MHD just because it seems a hell of a lot more easier... could you recommend a battery charger to use when backing up the ecu and flashing?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Mayorie
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleybmw335 View Post
Hi,

I'm glad I chosen MHD
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
coleybmw335
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335I DCT

I just brought a 8 Amp charger from Argos around £25 when I did mine
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Smokey33
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 335i DCT FBO

You will only need a trickle charger the first time you flash at most, even then it can be a few mins, I think it depends on your DME.

My custom map was lost when I had the software updated at BMW and when I flashed the map back on it only took 2 mins.

Im always for MHD. Its a proper tune. JB4 is no better than a tuning box its tricking the ECU.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #7
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

MHD all the way. And the CTek mxs 5.0 chargers are brill 👌 Always remember and get a recommended obd cable as some cheap amazon and fleabay ones will not work or will stop half way. Cableshack ones are fine...had mine 2 years now.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
leons335
Registered
Rep
Drives: 57 335i SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey33 View Post
You will only need a trickle charger the first time you flash at most, even then it can be a few mins, I think it depends on your DME.
I mistakenly left my charger on trickle charge when I hooked it up to flash my 57 reg 335 using MHD. Cue lots of dinging battery low warnings and increased discharge warnings. I had also flashed XHP shortly before so it may have been the impact of both flashes. I'd certainly recommend putting a charger on proper charge for a full flash though. Otherwise no issues and even only running Stage 1 the car feels much more alive compared to stock.

Pretty sure you could check battery voltage on the MHD read codes so worth a check before you start a flash.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #9
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by leons335 View Post
Quote:
I mistakenly left my charger on trickle charge when I hooked it up to flash my 57 reg 335 using MHD. Cue lots of dinging battery low warnings and increased discharge warnings. I had also flashed XHP shortly before so it may have been the impact of both flashes. I'd certainly recommend putting a charger on proper charge for a full flash though. Otherwise no issues and even only running Stage 1 the car feels much more alive compared to stock.

Pretty sure you could check battery voltage on the MHD read codes so worth a check before you start a flash.
I've now recurved my OTG cable & Dcan from cable shack and looking to use this streetwize 8-12amp heavy duty battery charger I've picked up from Argos...

My current voltage for my battery is around 12.6-13V at ignition and 14.3+V with the engine running. For the initial write should I stick to the 8amp charge or 12amps? Or does it really not matter?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
KClemente
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x77md View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I've now recurved my OTG cable & Dcan from cable shack and looking to use this streetwize 8-12amp heavy duty battery charger I've picked up from Argos...

My current voltage for my battery is around 12.6-13V at ignition and 14.3+V with the engine running. For the initial write should I stick to the 8amp charge or 12amps? Or does it really not matter?
For a car with a good battery, as long as your voltage doesn't drop below 11.8 you're fine. I've flashed multiple cars without any sort of charger connected and they've all been fine.

I did flash one car with a bad battery, and I just jumped it onto another car and that worked aswell.

My opinion on the jb4 vs mhd is that it's BEST to pair them up together. You get the safety functionality of the jb4 and the proper tune at the same time. Stacked together, the jb4 does more than just show you gauges.

I wouldn't run my car with a high strung custom tune without my jb4 looking out for my motor
      03-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #11
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KClemente View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For a car with a good battery, as long as your voltage doesn't drop below 11.8 you're fine. I've flashed multiple cars without any sort of charger connected and they've all been fine.

I did flash one car with a bad battery, and I just jumped it onto another car and that worked aswell.

My opinion on the jb4 vs mhd is that it's BEST to pair them up together. You get the safety functionality of the jb4 and the proper tune at the same time. Stacked together, the jb4 does more than just show you gauges.

I wouldn't run my car with a high strung custom tune without my jb4 looking out for my motor
For now I'm going to try MHD alone, see how it goes... I'm planning on getting a custom tune later once I'm FBO as it's probably the best way to get the most power...

Attempted first flash today but got an error 'unable to erase memory' followed by windscreen wipers switching on. Read up online that it's possibly due to a dodgy otg cable. Bought another one today but as it's raining I'm gonna postpone the flash to tomorrow or Tuesday. Let's hope the car doesn't implode on the second try

Edit: weather cleared up and I flashed stage 1.... wow the power difference is phenomenal
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #12
Juz5i
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2 F87  [0.00]
Quote:
For now I'm going to try MHD alone, see how it goes... I'm planning on getting a custom tune later once I'm FBO as it's probably the best way to get the most power...

Attempted first flash today but got an error 'unable to erase memory' followed by windscreen wipers switching on. Read up online that it's possibly due to a dodgy otg cable. Bought another one today but as it's raining I'm gonna postpone the flash to tomorrow or Tuesday. Let's hope the car doesn't implode on the second try

Edit: weather cleared up and I flashed stage 1.... wow the power difference is phenomenal
Ooooh your tempting me now!!
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 08:32 AM   #13
x77md
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My advice is go for it! I'm wondering why I didn't tune any earlier
Appreciate 0