Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 325i Wheel Compatibility Question

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
mathyoo
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

325i Wheel Compatibility Question

I have a 2006 BMW 325i with this style wheel;

Name:  bmw-wheels-style-156.jpg
Views: 1684
Size:  30.9 KB

Style 156 I believe? Here are the specs:

Name:  Screen Shot 2019-03-04 at 12.10.31 AM.png
Views: 1202
Size:  55.0 KB

However, I don’t like the 156’s and I want to replace my 156’s with another BMW wheel style.

My question is;

How do I know which other style wheels are compatible with my 2006 BMW 325i sedan E90?

I’m aware that I have to take into account the size of the tire, but I want to know which other BMW wheel styles would actually fit the car.

And when I say fit the car, I mean wheel styles that won’t make the car look weird and wheel styles that will not cause mechanical issues or require mechanical adjustments.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #2
mathyoo
Rep

I've found other wheels with exactly the same specs, just different offsets (ET), in some cases just 2 or 3 mm.

How important are offsets?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #3
Volasko
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i E90, 18 530xe G30

Garage List
Get reading man, these types of hand holding posts tend to get ignored as your basically asking a internet random to spell out all the necessary details of wheel sizing. I could do it but I don't have the time to type it all out as there are lots of details that you need to account for:

Bolt pattern, hub ring diameter, rim offset, rim width and naturally tire specs. Good news is most of BMW's line is standardized to the same bolt pattern and hub ring size.

In your case those ugly 156 wheels are probably sitting so far in your wheel well you would want LESS offset on your new wheel so the finished face of the wheel sits FARTHER out and looks better. You can play with this offset to the point where the wheel doesn't hit the fenders without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #4
mathyoo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post
Get reading man, these types of hand holding posts tend to get ignored as your basically asking a internet random to spell out all the necessary details of wheel sizing. I could do it but I don't have the time to type it all out as there are lots of details that you need to account for:

Bolt pattern, hub ring diameter, rim offset, rim width and naturally tire specs. Good news is most of BMW's line is standardized to the same bolt pattern and hub ring size.

In your case those ugly 156 wheels are probably sitting so far in your wheel well you would want LESS offset on your new wheel so the finished face of the wheel sits FARTHER out and looks better. You can play with this offset to the point where the wheel doesn't hit the fenders without any issues.
Good to know, but that is not exactly what I'm asking.

What I want to know is if I would damage the car by putting wheels of a different diameter and/or offset on to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
j.f.leonard
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathyoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volasko View Post

Good to know, but that is not exactly what I'm asking.

What I want to know is if I would damage the car by putting wheels of a different diameter and/or offset on to it.
I highly doubt it, unless you choose a huge wheel like 20" or up and even then it may not be an issue. People put different wheels on their BMWs all the time. On my 06 325i i have it lowered on 18x8.5 and 18x9.5 wheels
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #6
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

Tire rack has a handy tool for wheels car specific.
Appreciate 0