E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335d 6spd Manual Conversion/Build Thread

04-19-2020, 08:34 PM   #1
Coastcanuck
Rep
Drives: E90 335d; DUDMD stg 2,

335d 6spd Manual Conversion/Build Thread

Hey guys, going to be a long first post so I'll start with

TL;DR: 2009 335d Sport, notable options: Sapphire Black exterior, Saddle Brown interior, heated steering wheel, iDrive, shadow line trim, black headliner, folding rear seats.

Car is receiving a 6spd manual conversion from a European e90 M57 330d, in bits and pieces as funds allow. Also getting other supporting modifications, as much work as possible will be done by myself (I am an automotive technician professionally), with the exception of some of the coding.

I hope to be able to film and publish on YouTube some of the build as well.

Now for some history! (probably too much history, honestly)

Bought this car in May 2019 as a repo, drove it 3km home and didn't have it back on the road until the end of August as it needed a lot of work and time. Only running with both turbos as of beginning of October! I spent a long time chasing a "no small turbo" issue, before I finally found that the bypass flap that controls boost location was seized in place. Only put around 3000km on since owning it.

First day having it home, only came with 2 of the original style 195 wheels. Had some lousy mismatched front grilles as well.

Car moved to its new home for the next few months

Broken CCV hose wasn't helping any, bought the upgraded replacement form TuneMyEuro. Red charge pipe also looking poor with blown seals there.

Was lucky enough to find 2 style 195 wheels to match mine in BC had them shipped out, much thanks to Cam!

Plenty of carbon build up, most of it is still there as there isn't anyone local who has the tools to do carbon cleaning other than dealership, and no drivability complaints so far here.

Swirl flap delete and downpipe install all done. Easy to pull the DPF with the engine out lol. I was planning on sending the engine away for carbon cleaning and doing the 6spd swap ASAP, plans changed and I chose to put it back in the car, and did not send engine away for cleaning. Used a pick and a vacuum on the valve cover intake runners.

Needed some cleaning to be done, used my old Jetta to pull the e90 halfway out of the garage. Lots of coolant spilled to be cleaned.

Managed to snap one of the EGR cooler bolts at the exhaust manifold, ended up drilling and running a tap down. Went better than expected honestly.

After a few different methods, I decided to try soaking the intake manifold in gasoline. This definitely did the most to remove carbon, obviously not the most environmentally friendly method, but for the cost of some gas and a large bucket, its still very cheap. I tried to find someone who would ultrasonic clean it, to no avail. Second picture is about 12 hours of soaking, no abrasion.

Ready for install!

All back in! was able to do this part myself, although it definitely would have been easier with another set of hands. Half the reason I did it alone was for the challenge haha

New StopTech Street pads, rotors, and Bilstein B4 shocks all around.

Remote Tuning session with DUDMD for their stage 2 tune, recommend them to anyone, excellent customer service and support.

Big PITA replacing seals on this thing with engine in the car. Ended up buying a Forge Motorsport hose to replace it.

Within the first week of having it on the road! Love the wheels on this car.

The rear drivers side carpet, the white is paint with broken shards of glass stuck inside of it. I luckily found a 325i being parted out, I bought a new rear carpet as well as the manual pedal assembly from him. Second picture is mid carpet removal.

One of the few aesthetic modifications, matte black grilles. Much improved over the stock ones. Euro plate shows itself later on to cover up those front plate holes. These are off Amazon, fitment is good enough, they haven't fallen out yet!

M3 centre console re-wrapped and sent over from Europe by e90post user Irwie'C ! Excellent work, highly recommend him.

Whitbread Performance aluminum skid plate. Awesome quality, fasteners all included, fits perfectly. 100% recommended. Have already used it on some dirt roads!

Euro front plate makes an appearance, bonus points to anyone who get the reference as well.

Quick picture I snapped a few weeks ago featuring the Msport steering wheel trim I bought to replace my worn sport trim.

That's about how far the car has come along prior to the 6spd swap beginning.

Below is a list of maintenance/upgrade items and modifications done so far in my ownership:

TuneMyEuro swirl flap delete kit and CCV hose
DUDMD stage 2 tune
Buzzken catless downpipe
Bimmertune EGR delete race pipe
Gates water pump and thermostat
MANN air, cabin, fuel filters
Bilstein B4 shocks all around
StopTech street pad and rotor kit
Whitbread performance supplied FAI harmonic balancer and INA clutched alternator pulley, as well as in house aluminum skid plate. CTA tools 1072 works for installation of the clutched pulley.
TRW M3 front control arm kit
M3 floor mats (judge me, they cost the same as the non-M mats, and the car came with no mats)
2x Kayser pressure converter (not needed, was throwing parts at it with these)
Forge Motorsport boost hose
Astra Depot front grilles
JL Audio XD600/6V2 (sourced used from ebay)
Technic PNP harness for JL XD600 (worked fantastic, made the install easy)
Licenseplates.tv Customized euro front plate
Turner Motorsports aluminum subframe bushings (yet to be installed, waiting for new, non rusty subframe before I install)
Monroe 907984 upper rear shock mount upgrade

That's all for the first post. Stay tuned!

Appreciate 3
RED-d27.00
Silnismo225.50
D3GUY0.00
      04-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
RL18
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d sport

Sweet! Awesome work man. Excited to see this build progress
      04-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #3
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Noice! Like reading these build posts!
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 05:37 PM   #4
coz_mo
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

Subbed!

Looking forward to seeing the total conversion cost. I see transmission on eBay for ~$1000 CAD shipped.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #5
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

Nice build. Looking forward to seeing the manual trans conversion details. Glad to see you bought the Whitbread aluminum belly pan.
The picture showing your front euro plate was real bright where the plate is. I can only see the first part OOM .....
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2020, 08:58 PM   #6
Coastcanuck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
Nice build. Looking forward to seeing the manual trans conversion details. Glad to see you bought the Whitbread aluminum belly pan.
The picture showing your front euro plate was real bright where the plate is. I can only see the first part OOM .....
Full plate number is OOM-500, country origin is Georgia
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
Coastcanuck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz_mo View Post
Subbed!

Looking forward to seeing the total conversion cost. I see transmission on eBay for ~$1000 CAD shipped.
I paid around that exactly, I think $1100 CAD and then around $160 for duties and taxes from DHL upon entering the country. The other parts around the build are what drive the cost up, the transmission itself isn't too bad. I will do my best to make an accurate summary of all the costs for the manual swap once it is all done (as it would take too long and be a bit depressing to judge my spending on this car overall )
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Coastcanuck
Rep

So a lot has happened since the last post, I have found the clutch kit that I am going to be using thanks to some helpful recommendations. I am waiting on the selector rod for the shift linkage to transmission to come in as well before I can start assembling. Other than that, I only need to order the clutch, flywheel bolts, driveshaft flex discs, stainless steel clutch pivot pin, shifter/pedal bushings and some transmission/diff fluids.

Some of the things I would like to do while this conversion happens are being delayed, I currently have a California rear sub frame waiting at a cross border mail store to replace my rusty one, but the borders are closed! Will be installing that at the same time as the wavetrac (probably in the winter, don't have the funds to do right now).

2.35 ratio differential arrived from England! Massive thanks to Ben for the help and sending it over!

Made sure to get an early differential with bolted style ring gear, will make adding the Wavetrac LSD unit a lot easier and cheaper, removing the need to have the ring gear machined off and holes drilled.

Seller of the differential let me know that there was a noise coming from the diff, suspected the front pinion bearing had failed so I dug right in to it. Good bit of ingenuity to pull those massive side snap rings at home with the proper tool sitting at work.

Pressed out the pinon after pulling the input shaft and all seals, old front pinion bearing on the side there. Crush sleeve also seen on the shaft. BMW does not list a part number (or diagram) for the crush sleeve, HOWEVER, you can buy a crush sleeve from your local BMW dealer that fits the E90 215 differential. The PN is 33121204657. I plan to make a more detailed video/post on the differentials in the future. They are really quite simple and don't require loads of fancy tools to work with. Never had one apart before this but hope I have the chance to again!

Front pinon bearing race is an a rather poor state.

The bearing balls follow suit! My suspicion is that due to the differentials design, any small metal wear pieces that come from this front pinion simply get stuck at the front, as they can't move towards the rear and the pinion seal is on the other end. Eventually they may accumulate and destroy the bearing. This diff had 120k miles on it and was well maintained.

New pinion bearing arrived! Shipped over from the UK. Tapered roller style instead of double ball bearing. Koyo brand bearing. The part number is F-237541 (although I think this is the F-A.G (blurred out before lol) OEM bearing number used as a reference for this Koyo Bearing. Ordered from bearings-online.co.uk.

Flywheel arrived from Kassel Performance. This is the OE LuK DMF flywheel for the E90 pre-LCI 330d. Nothing fancy, should hold the power well enough and be nice and quiet.

Was able to get lucky and order the shift linkage as an assembly rather that piece by piece or new from the dealer ($$$). Replaced the central bushing here. This shift linkage is unique to the 330d, has a weight on it to reduce vibrations as well. Will be purchasing upgraded shift bushings while it's out of the car.

Transmission arrived! bolted up the shift linkage (waiting on the selector rod now, that will be one of the main delays in this whole build). You can see the weight around the shift lever, above the boot. Will try and show it a bit better later on. The new hydraulic line running from the master cylinder is near the bottom of this picture too.

Part number of the transmission used.

Driveshaft arrived. very good condition, u-joint is smooth in all directions.The transmission brace also arrived, Did not snap a picture of it. Ever see a BMW transmission brace before? It looks like that!

Cleaned the mating surface on the diff casing.

And on the cover itself as well.

That's all for now! Waiting on finances/shift rod before I go a whole ton further, will be putting the diff back together and hopefully filming most all of that process as I have the crush sleeve and all of the diff seals.

Happy to answer any other questions your guys have on the build.

Appreciate 2
      05-11-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
Justjoshinm57
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Any plans for who you'll use to tune in the manual swap?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #10
Coastcanuck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justjoshinm57 View Post
Any plans for who you'll use to tune in the manual swap?
Kassel Performance out of York, PA. Bought the flywheel from them and asked for their advice on the clutch. They have an M57 swapped 318ti and did the coding on one of the manual 335d's already.
Appreciate 1
Silnismo225.50
      05-11-2020, 11:28 PM   #11
Stormnorman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335I (RIP), 335D

Great thread man! Excited to see more!
Appreciate 2
      05-11-2020, 11:35 PM   #12
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Nice write up. Lots of work that I’m sure will pay off. Thanks for the detailed posts.
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #13
Redshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, ZHP, 335d, X5d

Glad to see another build. There are so few, it's nice to compare notes.

Here's my build:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=25371384

Or Insta if anyone is interested: @335d.wagon

For the clutch and flywheel, keep us posted. I have a LOT of noise from my SMF (Clutchmasters) but so far it holds very well with so much power and torque, although I haven't put more than a couple hundred miles on it.
- E70 X5D stage 3
- E70 X5D stage 4
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #14
Coastcanuck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Glad to see another build. There are so few, it's nice to compare notes.

Here's my build:

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...php?p=25371384

Or Insta if anyone is interested: @335d.wagon

For the clutch and flywheel, keep us posted. I have a LOT of noise from my SMF (Clutchmasters) but so far it holds very well with so much power and torque, although I haven't put more than a couple hundred miles on it.
If anyone is interested?? If you like beautiful, rare BMW's, you probably should be interested!

I am going with a Clutchmasters clutch, same material that Kassel Performance used in their 318ti with the M57 swap. They also used the stock DMF, which I am using. I have heard that the stock DMF starts to have issues around 600 ft lbs. I am running the DUDMD stage 2 tune, and only plan to go up to potentially the stage 2 race, not looking for hybrids at all, so I am hoping that I don't have any issues there. With you having significantly more power, I'm not sure there is a DMF out there that would be able to hold up. Will definitely be interesting to see how it feels when it is done, the clutch/flywheel setup seems to be the biggest variable with this swap.

Potentially a meetup of all the manual 335d's?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 08:23 AM   #15
Redshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3, ZHP, 335d, X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastcanuck View Post
If anyone is interested?? If you like beautiful, rare BMW's, you probably should be interested!

I am going with a Clutchmasters clutch, same material that Kassel Performance used in their 318ti with the M57 swap. They also used the stock DMF, which I am using. I have heard that the stock DMF starts to have issues around 600 ft lbs. I am running the DUDMD stage 2 tune, and only plan to go up to potentially the stage 2 race, not looking for hybrids at all, so I am hoping that I don't have any issues there. With you having significantly more power, I'm not sure there is a DMF out there that would be able to hold up. Will definitely be interesting to see how it feels when it is done, the clutch/flywheel setup seems to be the biggest variable with this swap.

Potentially a meetup of all the manual 335d's?
Definitely.
- E70 X5D stage 3
- E70 X5D stage 4
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 03:25 PM   #16
bugra101
Rep
Drives: e91 325d

Definitely a great build! Be lovely to put your foot down on 4th gear and go up 120mph in no time!

Don't think anyone agrees BMW`s `Lifetime Oil/No Oil Change` label on the gearbox. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2020, 08:24 PM   #17
Coastcanuck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugra101 View Post
Definitely a great build! Be lovely to put your foot down on 4th gear and go up 120mph in no time!

Don't think anyone agrees BMW`s `Lifetime Oil/No Oil Change` label on the gearbox. Lol.
I can't wait

I'll be replacing the MTF during the swap, BMW has their moments of error for sure.

Quick update on the car, finances sort of holding things up as I bought a project car to repair and sell. On the upside, getting some good practice and familiarity with filming it all, so should be able to put together a good amount of content for the swap.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 07:02 PM   #18
RED-d
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d Sport, Tuned

I'm totally impressed with the amount of work you are doing yourself, but perplexed at why can't do the walnut blasting yourself?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 05:26 AM   #19
Coastcanuck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED-d View Post
I'm totally impressed with the amount of work you are doing yourself, but perplexed at why can't do the walnut blasting yourself?
I could, I just don't want to buy the special tools for a one time job, and I don't have any drivability issues as is right now. The tools for walnut blasting are specific to the M57, N54/N55 tools don't work. Nobody other than the dealers has them around here.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #20
335dlci
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335d

The tools arent hard to find..
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #21
Coastcanuck
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dlci View Post
The tools arent hard to find..
I didn't look into it much first summer I had the car, I had planned to send it to a shop that told me they could do the walnut blasting only for them to say they couldn't. When I did look for tools I only tried to find OEM BMW adapters, didn't think there would be anything aftermarket (there is).

It's something I will probably do down the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #22
PORTMOODY
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coal Roller

great work on this.
Appreciate 0