E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New front tires destroyed 200 miles after spacer install!!??

01-16-2020, 03:46 AM   #45
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Man this is special. How can anyone think this is cause by rubbing. He installed spacers, moving the tire FARTHER away from anything it could rub. Alignment/toe issue, end of story. Probably was warn before he even bought the car.
Agree on it not being a rub issue, that's the first shout with most folks, when seeing this type of wear.

Although alignment can be involved, (not always outside BMW spec'), I still hold the view it is a type of wear when RFT's are run at too low a pressure. Often the user has lowered the pressure to try and get a better ride quality. Experience teaches us the RFT doesn't work like conventional tires. We may need to 'increase' the pressure to get the best ride quality, ride the crown of the tire, not the sidewalls.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 06:25 AM   #46
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
One thing is for sure, nearly any time there is odd tire wear, 99% of the time it will be toe related.
toe angle

inb4 OP post his alignment sheet : toe angle bad .

bmw oem camber is very hard on square wear when toe is bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #47
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
bmw oem camber is very hard on square wear when toe is bad.
That seems weird. What do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 07:26 AM   #48
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

A close of picture of the side of that tire showing that worn area would help.....
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #49
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
That seems weird. What do you mean?
He means BMW uses aggressive camber, which when toe is in spec is good for handling and shouldn't affect wear.

When toe is out, its going to wear hard and fast.
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #50
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
He means BMW uses aggressive camber, which when toe is in spec is good for handling and shouldn't affect wear.

BMW uses agressive camber? I though the reason guys went with the M3 front suspension parts and/or the adjustable camber plates was because BMW didn't use agressive camber.....and adding camber really AIDS in the handling. ??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #51
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
BMW uses agressive camber? I though the reason guys went with the M3 front suspension parts and/or the adjustable camber plates was because BMW didn't use agressive camber.....and adding camber really AIDS in the handling. ??
In the rear they do. Front is too low IMO. You need a ton of front negative camber on a Machphearson strut car to maintain a good contact patch under hard cornering.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 09:01 AM   #52
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I agree with your reasoning, and there will be a difference.

Issue with the wear pattern on the OP's tires, that stepped wear can be the same on a standard set up and on the rear. Also a scrub issue typically has a different wear pattern.
Here is some photos:255/35 developed cupping on the inside 225/40 is wearing evenly but a lot more. Tire pressure has been 35psi on both. I understand that there is a difference in rubber compound too. From my experience if alignment is off adding spacers (or lower offset wheels) would make tire wear worse because is changing the contact patch and the scrub radius. I run toe out...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #53
iqraceworks
Brigadier General
Rep

Ok...that's not as sharp of an edge as I first thought. Like everyone else....I'm saying allignment/tire pressure issue.....for sure.

Also....unless you are tracking the car and want a little more twitchy type steering, why are you running toe out????? And how much toe out are you running?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #54
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Ok...that's not as sharp of an edge as I first thought. Like everyone else....I'm saying allignment/tire pressure issue.....for sure.

Also....unless you are tracking the car and want a little more twitchy type steering, why are you running toe out????? And how much toe out are you running?
feuer is one of the few legit track junkies on here, that's why

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 1
feuer4275.50
      01-16-2020, 12:13 PM   #55
Emilime75
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E92 LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Here is some photos:255/35 developed cupping on the inside 225/40 is wearing evenly but a lot more. Tire pressure has been 35psi on both. I understand that there is a difference in rubber compound too. From my experience if alignment is off adding spacers (or lower offset wheels) would make tire wear worse because is changing the contact patch and the scrub radius. I run toe out...
How does it change the contact patch. I understand the scrub radius change, but not the contact patch...no angles are being changed when adding spacers, or lower offset wheels.

In theory, unless the suspension is at zero degrees camber, the car will sit slightly lower if camber is negative, and slightly higher if camber is positive, as the spacer pushes the wheel/tire outward at an angle in relation to zero. But, that angle does not change.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #56
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

well I can't say that I've ever ran runflats long enough to observe the wear.

so maybe they do wear 90 degree angles into tread.

it's still very very odd.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #57
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:

Actually, adding a little toe out with factory camber tends to even out the wear across the tyre - they normally wear the outer edge faster, due to insufficient negative camber...which also hinders performance.

For tyre wear in a straight line, negative camber and positive toe (in the correct proportions) give neutral tyre wear, or positive camber and negative toe.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #58
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilime75 View Post
How does it change the contact patch. I understand the scrub radius change, but not the contact patch...no angles are being changed when adding spacers, or lower offset wheels.

In theory, unless the suspension is at zero degrees camber, the car will sit slightly lower if camber is negative, and slightly higher if camber is positive, as the spacer pushes the wheel/tire outward at an angle in relation to zero. But, that angle does not change.
It doesn't make the contact patch smaller or larger, is changing where the contact patch is, and because when you turn steering wheels left-right they don't just pivot around fixed point, they move in line shaped like arc. If the contact patch was moved inward being affected that way by the change of scrub it will wear out the tire more on the inside. Also, just going forward will cause the wheels to toe out more if they are further apart vs being close together. Remember, all of the suspension parts have a give including the tires. Bushings, tie rods, tires all deflect and will deflect more when tires are further apart. This is why you as a driver feel immediate difference in steering input when adding spacers. It becomes firmer. It will also cause the wheels to tramlining.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 01:43 PM   #59
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

There was a recall on the Turanza RFT that are OE on many e9x. These tires dry rot very quickly, to the point that they were considered defective in a class action. From the low-res pictures, it looks like the thread is delaminating from the carcass of the tire. Not a bad idea to check alignment anyway, but you may just be looking at the tire disintegrating for no other reason that its a piece of junk to start with, it is dry rotted to death, and maybe someone drove on the RFT under inflated without paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #60
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I never said isn't alignment issue. It is. Probably tire pressure too. I run 0.05 on street and 0.12 to 0.18 (I do my own and just put the car on alignment rack to check). Long time ago I came across TCKline alignment spec for e90 that suggested up to 0.15 to out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antetokounmpo View Post
feuer is one of the few legit track junkies on here, that's why
I missed a lot in 2019, was difficult year, hopefully will have plenty of track days in 2020
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #61
Airjaff
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i msport

Okay so, had a major headache with these tyres. So the reason for this horrible wear was, running the tyres on low pressure and the tyres being pretty old. These tyres were run flats! Avoid run flats! I thought the tyre pressure monitor would tell me that the tyres are down in pressure, but I found out it doesn't work that way. Apparently if both tyres are relatively losing pressure at the same time, you will not get a warning!
Appreciate 0