E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Deer at 70 MPH

05-27-2020, 12:04 AM   #1
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Chevrolegs

Garage List
2011 335i xdrive  [10.00]
Deer at 70 MPH

One less E90 on the road. Sad day. BMW did its job and I am all good. Speed at impact and the lowered stance put the body of the deer right above the hood emblem, right in to the windshield, and about 60 feet from impact. Deer walked right out in front of me and my foot never made it to the brake pedal before impact. You can see where the legs impact the bumper and the body impacts the radiator area. In a moment I was Ace Ventura-ing the car to a nearby driveway with oil blowing in my face. No citations.

Insurance totaled at $10,500 minus deductible with a $1800 buy back. I own the car. Passenger curtain and steering wheel air bags deployed. Last 7 of the VIN: NN23565

What would you do!?

1. Take the cash and walk. I have a truck and live where I ride my bike to work and school.

2.Buy back the car and:
  • a) If engine (minus valve cover and oil cooler) and transmission are good, swap the N55 in to my 1980 633csi. I can fabricate what I need and everything looked good minus the valve cover and oil cooler. Part out the remainder of the e90 (interior, body and other panels, suspension, etc). Finish grad school and buy another BMW when I have the cash.
  • b) Use the e90 as a parts car and buy a 90k miles 2014 x1 35i with the insurance money plus a little extra. Swap over any performance parts and modules for a winter worthy daily and give my 200K Ram 6.7L a rest. I just like inline 6 turbos!
Attached Images

05-27-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
bkwld
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 328i N51

Good you’re ok but yeah that was a hellavua nice example of E90. Hope you can somehow put it back together as a project but OFH seem to be ripped off from the block.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:50 AM   #3
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Damn what a shame. That deer really did a number on the front end huh...

Definitely buy it back. You would make that $1800 back fairly quickly and painlessly.

I'd vote option B) but leave yourself open to picking up anything that suits your fancy. I imagine that if I were in you position I would want to keep a similar intention as the recently departed; perhaps an E92 instead? Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #4
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkwld View Post
Good you’re ok but yeah that was a hellavua nice example of E90. Hope you can somehow put it back together as a project but OFH seem to be ripped off from the block.
Definitely ripped off the block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirks View Post
Damn what a shame. That deer really did a number on the front end huh...

Definitely buy it back. You would make that $1800 back fairly quickly and painlessly.

I'd vote option B) but leave yourself open to picking up anything that suits your fancy. I imagine that if I were in you position I would want to keep a similar intention as the recently departed; perhaps an E92 instead? Just my 2 cents
I would like a 6 speed E90.
      05-27-2020, 09:48 AM   #5
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Happy to hear that you weren't hurt. I doubt that I'd have the patience to part it out and recoup the $1800, especially if located in Montana. A salvaged title is not the kind of car I'd like to drive, I'd take the payout and find another one.
      05-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #6
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Wow, glad you are ok... could have been worse, lost a friend to a deer in MT back in college. They get way bigger up there in MT.

1800 on the buyback is pretty good... I'd imagine you could make your money back with a part-out. I Just wonder if that block is boat anchor at this point... Looks like the OFH is detached... either way I like the idea of an e24 with an N55... I'm a sucker for e21's, e24's and e28's.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacE90 View Post
One less E90 on the road. Sad day. BMW did its job and I am all good. Speed at impact and the lowered stance put the body of the deer right above the hood emblem, right in to the windshield, and about 60 feet from impact. Deer walked right out in front of me and my foot never made it to the brake pedal before impact. You can see where the legs impact the bumper and the body impacts the radiator area. In a moment I was Ace Ventura-ing the car to a nearby driveway with oil blowing in my face. No citations.

Insurance totaled at $10,500 minus deductible with a $1800 buy back. I own the car. Passenger curtain and steering wheel air bags deployed. Last 7 of the VIN: NN23565

What would you do!?

1. Take the cash and walk. I have a truck and live where I ride my bike to work and school.

2.Buy back the car and:
  • a) If engine (minus valve cover and oil cooler) and transmission are good, swap the N55 in to my 1980 633csi. I can fabricate what I need and everything looked good minus the valve cover and oil cooler. Part out the remainder of the e90 (interior, body and other panels, suspension, etc). Finish grad school and buy another BMW when I have the cash.
  • b) Use the e90 as a parts car and buy a 90k miles 2014 x1 35i with the insurance money plus a little extra. Swap over any performance parts and modules for a winter worthy daily and give my 200K Ram 6.7L a rest. I just like inline 6 turbos!
I'd buy it back, use the car as a parts car; especially if you are FBO and those parts are still intact. I'd doubt the FMIC is, but that's small potatoes.

Buy another e90 335. 10k will get you a nice 335i.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #8
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Make a great track car now. Very glad to see that your ok.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:00 PM   #9
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
Happy to hear that you weren't hurt. I doubt that I'd have the patience to part it out and recoup the $1800, especially if located in Montana. A salvaged title is not the kind of car I'd like to drive, I'd take the payout and find another one.
I am pretty close to WA, but yeah, the shipping of big pieces like the interior slow the process down. My location is definitely a big factor!
      05-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #10
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine_surf View Post
Wow, glad you are ok... could have been worse, lost a friend to a deer in MT back in college. They get way bigger up there in MT.

1800 on the buyback is pretty good... I'd imagine you could make your money back with a part-out. I Just wonder if that block is boat anchor at this point... Looks like the OFH is detached... either way I like the idea of an e24 with an N55... I'm a sucker for e21's, e24's and e28's.
I'll get a better look at it tomorrow but the OFH was sheered off and the valve cover cracked from the oil fill cap to the bottom passenger corner. I replaced plugs, coils, and injectors 4k miles ago. Should be able to get 500$ from the pieces not considered anchor material should that be the case!

A N55 powered 318 would be pretty fun project...

The deer are no joke in MT. Shit, I ran over a skunk and the damn thing pushed the plastic shield in to the transmission cooler which got pushed in to the pulleys and ground a hole in the cooler. Things get big in this State!
      05-27-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
I'll get a better look at it tomorrow but the OFH was sheered off and the valve cover cracked from the oil fill cap to the bottom passenger corner. I replaced plugs, coils, and injectors 4k miles ago. Should be able to get 500$ from the pieces not considered anchor material should that be the case!

A N55 powered 318 would be pretty fun project...

The deer are no joke in MT. Shit, I ran over a skunk and the damn thing pushed the plastic shield in to the transmission cooler which got pushed in to the pulleys and ground a hole in the cooler. Things get big in this State!
I'd bet the corner of the cylinder head, where the "3rd" bolt attaches the OFH to the head is cracked off. Also, if you've not already stuffed something in the openings in the head where the OFH mates up, the engine has contamination in it, which makes the engine a lump of metal at this point. The most valuable parts are the drivetrain, of which you probably can't sell the engine.

I'd take the cash and find a replacement vehicle. Unless you have covered storage to dismantle the car and the ability to store/ship parts, seems like a PIA to rake in a few extra hundred dollars above the $1,800 to buy it back. Then you'll have to get rid of the carcass once the parts are salvaged. Salvage yards make money at salvage because they have the heavy equipment to move non-rolling cars once the drivetrain is pulled and the wheels are off.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 05-27-2020 at 03:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 01:47 AM   #12
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Take the money and run. Seats and steering plus rear bumper get you what like $5 bills.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 02:26 PM   #13
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'd bet the corner of the cylinder head, where the "3rd" bolt attaches the OFH to the head is cracked off. Also, if you've not already stuffed something in the openings in the head where the OFH mates up, the engine has contamination in it, which makes the engine a lump of metal at this point. The most valuable parts are the drivetrain, of which you probably can't sell the engine.

I'd take the cash and find a replacement vehicle. Unless you have covered storage to dismantle the car and the ability to store/ship parts, seems like a PIA to rake in a few extra hundred dollars above the $1,800 to buy it back. Then you'll have to get rid of the carcass once the parts are salvaged. Salvage yards make money at salvage because they have the heavy equipment to move non-rolling cars once the drivetrain is pulled and the wheels are off.

My 2 cents.
I do have covered storage for parts and disassembly, I did not have the chance to block off any openings in the motor. That said, my plan would be to keep the motor and trans to swap in to something older I would take the head off and clean everything. Would contamination or oxidation at this point make cleaning pointless?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      05-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #14
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do have covered storage for parts and disassembly, I did not have the chance to block off any openings in the motor. That said, my plan would be to keep the motor and trans to swap in to something older I would take the head off and clean everything. Would contamination or oxidation at this point make cleaning pointless?
If water gets in the block via the OFH orifices and the cracked valve cover, parts will rust quickly. If you are basically buying the engine and trans for yourself then maybe it's a different story if you can store the engine in a clean dry place. You talked about dropping the engine into a 1980's era chassis, which is a daunting task. Hassmachine is putting an N52 into his E30, and I'm not sure he's finished yet. Hass knows what he is doing too. There is a shop in PA that has dropped an N52 into an E36 318i. It requires custom engine wiring harnesses, etc. The ECU needs data inputs those older cars may not have sensors for. Doable, but not easy. But It'd be a cool car.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #15
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If water gets in the block via the OFH orifices and the cracked valve cover, parts will rust quickly. If you are basically buying the engine and trans for yourself then maybe it's a different story if you can store the engine in a clean dry place. You talked about dropping the engine into a 1980's era chassis, which is a daunting task. Hassmachine is putting an N52 into his E30, and I'm not sure he's finished yet. Hass knows what he is doing too. There is a shop in PA that has dropped an N52 into an E36 318i. It requires custom engine wiring harnesses, etc. The ECU needs data inputs those older cars may not have sensors for. Doable, but not easy. But It'd be a cool car.
I am buying the motor and trans, and electrical for myself. The hood was tied down and the weather has been nice and dry with low relative humidity at night. The car will be stored inside through the summer and winter if needed.
The bolt on the OFH is sheered off.

With regards to swapping, I can do the wiring and my buddy is a fabricator. While it was my only one, I did swap a 3.5l from a late 80s E24 in to my E12. I had to make a new harness though no fabrication was needed.

I appreciate your and everyone's comments. The 'sounding board' that is this forum is priceless! Here are two more pictures of engine exposure. I put rags in the exposures and covered with plastic today. I'll make my final decision in the morning and pick it up with my trailer or go pull off my plates!

Keep the comments and opinions flowing please!!
Attached Images

05-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #16
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Try to turn on the engine. Manually of course. If is not locked up that is a good sign and perhaps you should consider keeping it
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am buying the motor and trans, and electrical for myself. The hood was tied down and the weather has been nice and dry with low relative humidity at night. The car will be stored inside through the summer and winter if needed.

With regards to swapping, I can do the wiring and my buddy is a fabricator. While it was my only one, I did swap a 3.5l from a late 80s E24 in to my E12. I had to make a new harness though no fabrication was needed.

I appreciate your and everyone's comments. The 'sounding board' that is this forum is priceless! Here are two more pictures of engine exposure. I put rags in the exposures and covered with plastic today. I'll make my final decision in the morning and pick it up with my trailer or go pull off my plates!

Lord, what a mess. Good to see the 3rd bolt didn't break the head.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #18
dakine_surf
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg e91, r53 Cooper S, e28 M5

Quote:

Wow dude, thats pretty crazy damage... was it a big mule deer or a whitetail? Wonder how many lbs it was. The car really did its job protecting you though... the more I look at it the more I cringe on how that could have gone so much worse.

Makes me sorta glad we let the Mountain Lions go nuts here in CA... def keeps the deer population in check, which is good for the roads... horrible if you like to hunt.

Anyway... I love the swap ideas... an e21 in euro spec with an n55 would be amazing.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2020, 11:44 PM   #19
tlow98
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

I’d put it back together and make sure it ran before I bought it.
Appreciate 1
feuer4274.50
      05-29-2020, 04:00 AM   #20
213e90n51
Banned
South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i, Honda Civic Hat

Garage List
2009 328i  [0.00]
2019 M4  [0.00]
2019 Honda Civic Ha ...  [0.00]
What suspension you on? Thats a nice e90 😭
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 09:35 AM   #21
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
I’d put it back together and make sure it ran before I bought it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Try to turn on the engine. Manually of course. If is not locked up that is a good sign and perhaps you should consider keeping it
That is the plan. I will pull out the radiator and turn it over. I will buy back if it moves; part ways if it does not.

Check back for the classic BMW in Tow picture.
      05-29-2020, 09:36 AM   #22
MacE90
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 213e90n51 View Post
What suspension you on? Thats a nice e90 😭
KW1 V1