E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Anjuna's N55 Tuning Thread

02-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #45
uber
uber driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

How awesome would it be if there was a public git repo for all of this, so users don't have to navigate through a bunch of forum pages for table updates / etc
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #46
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
How awesome would it be if there was a public git repo for all of this, so users don't have to navigate through a bunch of forum pages for table updates / etc
EDIT - I am an asshole and overreacted.

Last edited by anjuna; 02-27-2020 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Asshole, I am.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #47
uber
uber driver
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
Tell me how well that's currently working for the public XDFs.

That public XDF repo has a ton of errors and has made no appreciable progress in the time it's been maintained.

I'm still working on fleshing out my platforms XDF. The progress I've made has come from cross comparing publicly available information inside that XDF repo.

If you feel like you have something to contribute, by all means, let me know. I don't think it's too hard to find the first post in this thread, which has very little in it, but also contains all the work on the E series XDFs. As stated before, I'm F series. So, appy polly lodgies that I don't have non-relevant F series info posted there.

Check the shit at the door.

✌️
Whoa. I think you read my comment incorrectly. Maybe you interpreted my comment as sarcasm for why you don't have this in a repo? That's not the case. I'm not taking any stabs at you. I was simply bringing up an idea that maybe having a repo to supplement all your posts (well maintained by the way) would be helpful. I brought it up because there's so much information in the mhd thread, but that information is very hard to sift through.

I don't know what I should be checking at the door. I think you're doing a bunch of work for the community and it's awesome. I don't think you need to be this defensive to random ideas thrown at you though. And no, nothing to contribute. Hoping to learn though so I can in the future.

Last edited by uber; 02-26-2020 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:19 PM   #48
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber View Post
a very reasonable and adult reply to anjuna's childishness.
Sorry, I've been dealing with a lot of negativity that comes with sharing this stuff lately. I definitely read it as sarcasm. I apologize.

I've had people hounding me for everything left and right as well as people accusing me of keeping things to myself.

Kinda sucks to deal with the negativity when I'm trying to do my best to share this stuff publicly. I just happened to get a string of messages and saw yours and overreacted.

Tomorrow I'll make all the XDFs into a repository and share them in the main link.

I have been shying away with doing so because I don't want people to take it as golden AND most of the coding I do for work is proprietary, so I've never had a chance to do a working repo.

Again, sorry for the overreaction. I'll send you a PM when the repo is up, as well as add it to the first post.

I need to work on documentation as well. The calculator in the first is gold, but isn't user friendly.

Last edited by anjuna; 02-27-2020 at 06:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:38 PM   #49
uber
uber driver
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I've been dealing with a lot of negativity that comes with sharing this stuff lately. I definitely read it as sarcasm. I apologize.

I've had people hounding me for everything left and right as well as people accusing me of keeping things to myself.

Kinda sucks to deal with the negativity when I'm trying to do my best to share this stuff publicly. I just happened to get a string of messages and saw yours and overreacted.

Tomorrow I'll make all the XDFs into a repository and share them in the main link.

I have been shying away with doing so because I don't want people to take it as golden AND most of the coding I do for work is proprietary, so I've never had a chance to do a working repo.

Again, sorry for the overreaction. I'll send you a PM when the repo is up, as well as add it to the first post.

I need to work on documentation as well. The calculator in the first is gold, but isn't user friendly.
Sorry to hear about the negativity man. I can definitely see how tough it is trying to open source something. About people taking your table as gold, I think if there’s a disclaimer, just like in your initial post, there shouldn’t be reason for confusion.

No need to PM me, I check this thread daily Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 11:30 PM   #50
all4bspinnin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i LeMans Blue/Terracota

Guys, are you ok if I add a few more tables to the github XDF?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #51
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Weekend work session starts naaoowwowowww
Appreciate 2
      03-03-2020, 06:00 AM   #52
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Weekend work session starts naaoowwowowww
I spent most of the weekend converting from XDF to XML for a transition from TunerPro to ECUEdit.

I will maintain both, but ECUEdit is the bomb. I still have a pro copy from the days of Carberry/Subaru.

From here on out, expect more support on ECUEdit - It does have a cost of entry, but I like it!

EDIT EDIT - I need some help. Can anyone take a look at this log snippet and give me some feedback? I'm experiencing weird issues where STFT oscillates. I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust the feedback time, PID, etc. to prevent this behavior. Yes, I run much higher HPFP at cruise (along with different injection timing to match) because I can get a consistent ~30mpg on rural roads. I drive a lot.

https://datazap.me/u/marshessn/log-1...zoom=4922-5010

Last edited by anjuna; 03-03-2020 at 06:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #53
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Support the cause....

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1700102
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:13 PM   #54
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry for the lack of updates. I've been working on a way to command wastegate duty cycle on platforms that do not support rpm versus wastegate duty cycle. My function use a stock logic and allows the PID to still do its thing

EDIT - This primarily makes use of the "feed forward" table for WGDC that is massively rescaled. This means that we can increase WGDC in areas of high MAF required with great boost error (spool up) while then returning to a standard WGDC 1:1 (or push it a to a little higher ratio in areas of underboost at max PID influence.)

Discovering the PID ceiling and PID floor tables also helps here. I previously had a bunch of PID logic "timeouts" where the DME would basically give up on trying to achieve target boost, which would cause overboost when we were closer to target boost (because the PID timer had elapsed). This also resulted in massive oscillations that mimicked an overly aggressive P gain.

This table is basically WGDCreqMAF vs WGDCbase. I believe that this has a greater advantage to RPM vs BoostSP that is available in some of the other BINs. Primarily, because it is agnostic to %L, temperatures, compressor mapping, VANOS, etc. because it weighs in what the DME is commanding in terms of %L, as opposed to simply looking at set points, which can be fucky when you start to change VANOS (because, as I haven't explained yet, VANOS has a hidden-super-secret-fucking-annoying table that influences DME's boost set point, calling for some pretty substantial boost at very low load/cruise).

So far I am experiencing good off-boost driveability, less overboost, and improved immediate-on-throttle response to %L increase. As soon as I depress the accelerator, WGDC is influenced before PID has to respond to the process change (the definition of feed forward in a PID loop)

I'm excited! Since I am F series, this is something that a lot of people have been concerned about and have struggled with. Additionally, I've struggled with putting together a good, accurate, and educational "boost control" section for explanation.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 03:36 AM   #55
kiler07
Rep
Drives: e92

Hello
It's possible make braaaap sound like M2? After leaving the throttle we can hear. I looked some logs from M2 and after leaving the throtle timing is -7 (not +30) and boost jump.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #56
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiler07 View Post
Hello
It's possible make braaaap sound like M2? After leaving the throttle we can hear. I looked some logs from M2 and after leaving the throtle timing is -7 (not +30) and boost jump.

Yes. It is absolutely possible. If the guys were not dickbags over in the m2brap thread, I would have contributed more.

Check out this log snippet and you'll see every loggable parameter and how they contribute to the sound. However, I do not use the throttle plate, so this log does not show a "boost spike" on throttle close. Additionally, it's a very "attention grabbing" tune, so I do not run rich overrun targets (which is another table responsible for influencing the noise). That said, I do run a moderate overrun "aggressiveness" so you will see that a little here. Additionally, injector timing needs to be modified to really put the bowtie on the package, and I am currently scaled to improve driveability; the extra columns needed to make the transition from this noise to normal driving are quite tight, so I would need to sacrafice 3 of my 12 rows just for that.

https://datazap.me/u/marshessn/log-1...om=11734-13224

Since I am running stock muffler, the noise is very suave. One of these days I need to strap my gopro on and showcase the noise, but my first priority has been on getting these tuning guides fleshed out and releasing maps for the E series platform that are kind of a "OTS" type map - for free.
Appreciate 2
JPuehl101.00
darkrom188.00
      03-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #57
kiler07
Rep
Drives: e92

Its working on N and rev? Can you recording some videos what is work on your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2020, 04:43 PM   #58
Anon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport DCT

Here are the descriptions for the exhaust tables:
AKRGRCC
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with the convertible top closed"

AKRGRCCAT
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with the convertible top closed"

AKRGRCCATM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with the convertible top closed and the sport button activated"

AKRGRCCM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with the convertible top closed and the sport button activated"

AKRGRCO
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with open convertible top"

AKRGRCOAT
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with open convertible top"

AKRGRCOATM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with open convertible top and activated sport button and activated sport button"

AKRGRCOM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with open convertible top and activated sport button"
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #59
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
AKRGRCC
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with the convertible top closed"

AKRGRCCAT
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with the convertible top closed"

AKRGRCCATM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with the convertible top closed and the sport button activated"

AKRGRCCM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with the convertible top closed and the sport button activated"

AKRGRCO
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with open convertible top"

AKRGRCOAT
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with open convertible top"

AKRGRCOATM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot (DKG or AT gearbox), with open convertible top and activated sport button and activated sport button"

AKRGRCOM
"Map for exhaust flap control depending on gangsist and nmot, with open convertible top and activated sport button"
Darn, all those tables seem to be for the convertible, which explains why it made no difference when I made changes to those tables.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #60
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuehl View Post
Quote:
AKRGRCC

AKRGRCCAT

AKRGRCCATM

AKRGRCCM

AKRGRCO

AKRGRCOAT

AKRGRCOATM

AKRGRCOM
Darn, all those tables seem to be for the convertible, which explains why it made no difference when I made changes to those tables.
Don't worry, lots and lots and lots of progress has been made over the weekend. I am still compiling into my phone hardware revision, to better understand and articulate what these additional tables do. I will be releasing the 9X series XDFs soon
Appreciate 1
JPuehl101.00
      03-09-2020, 02:44 PM   #61
Anon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport DCT

I'm also looking to quiet my car down in comfort mode due to being catless and cops here being Nazis.

I just tested the following:
Set all non-sports tables to 100
Set all sports tables to 0

Result:
Comfort: Exhaust Valve is closed after ~10kmh
Sports 1 (Shifter left): Exhaust Valve is closed after ~10kmh
Sports button: Exhaust valve is open permanently

It appears there are a few more tables related to the exhaust vale that are not defined in the 98G0B & 9E60B XDFs.

I don't have the A2L/OLS/Damos for those ECUs, if we can find someone that does, we can define the rest of the tables for the community.

Tables:
CWAKR - "Code word for exhaust flap control"
CWAKR_EEPCONF - "Codeword to choose from variant coding or internal data entry via codeword"
CWSTEGSPROGAKR - "Code word for exhaust flap control via web prog"
DTMOTAKR - "Code word to select start enable: 1 -> B_st, 0 -> nmot"
DWPEDAKR - "Delta for hysteresis control exhaust flap"
TMOTAKR - "Temperature threshold for engine temperature-dependent exhaust flap control"
TVSTAKR - "Delay time for exhaust flap control after start"
VMINAKR - "minimum vehicle speed for pulse output"
VMINAKR2 - "Speed ​​threshold for exhaust flap control on cold start"

Update:
I drove the car for a good 20 mins today. I am very happy with how the car sounds catless and the exhaust valve closed.

Last edited by Anon1; 03-09-2020 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #62
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great job to the contributors in this thread.

I do have some info about the 9x full definitions.

I don't want anyone to feel like I'm dangling these things with promises and won't deliver. Sometimes I just get flown out without any heads up (literally having clothes delivered to me because I don't have time to pack).

These will be delivered.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:07 PM   #63
rmap3k4mhdac6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Just a heads up for anyone following along here: So I made a very primitive tune for my 9E60B 2013 135i DCT and it felt great, but gave a lot of timing corrections. I tried messing with timing and vanos and fuel to help and I could not fix it.

SO then I just reset all adaptations except for throttle and idle and the problem went away.

So before you spend hours testing 23582958623 different ways to reduce pre-ignition, just reset adaptations in case the car has learned something that is clashing with the changes you've made.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #64
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmap3k4mhdac6 View Post
Just a heads up for anyone following along here: So I made a very primitive tune for my 9E60B 2013 135i DCT and it felt great, but gave a lot of timing corrections. I tried messing with timing and vanos and fuel to help and I could not fix it.

SO then I just reset all adaptations except for throttle and idle and the problem went away.

So before you spend hours testing 23582958623 different ways to reduce pre-ignition, just reset adaptations in case the car has learned something that is clashing with the changes you've made.

Any thoughts?
RON octane learn duration

DME has registers for the best and the worst fuel it will encounter - these do not get reset when flashing and do have a counter for reset.

More than likely, when you reset the adaptations, it lowered the expected octane, and therefore the aggressiveness of the timing advancements (optimal timing)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #65
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
I'm also looking to quiet my car down in comfort mode due to being catless and cops here being Nazis.

Update:
I drove the car for a good 20 mins today. I am very happy with how the car sounds catless and the exhaust valve closed.
I agree, I'm catless and even with the OEM muffler the car is too loud for me. I have tested zip-tying the flap closed and drove around and like it much better. I'd like to have the flap perform as you described your's is with the changes.

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #66
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So, this happened.

It's all in german, but do not worry about that for now - I have translations for the most critical adjustments (what exists in public XDF and the additional tables to be released) and we can crowdsource out the rest of the translation. I have moved to ECUEdit because I didn't find an easy way to get around the 255 category limit in TunerPro

Appreciate 1
JPuehl101.00