E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > brake squeal?

03-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
my07_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 SMG 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
brake squeal?

Went to do my rear brakes as they were starting to squeal the other day. I've done brakes on other cars before, so figured my 335 wouldn't be any different. Boy was I wrong.

To begin with, it took me nearly an hour to get the right rear rotor off. It was practically welded to the hub. After finally getting it off, i cleaned the hub, applied anti-squeal to the pads, and installed them. I ran into some difficulty however applying the spring to the caliper after I put it back on, and it eventually popped back off (while I was driving).

I attempted to do the other side as well, but i couldn't get that rotor off either, so just said the hell with it and took it to my local shop. Got the car back (300$ later) and after bedding my pads, Ive noticed that there is a lot of break squealing, as if the pads on the back left (the ones i hadn't changed myself) were worn like before. Since it's the pads they changed for me and not the ones I did, could it be because they didn't apply anti-squeal? I looked between the rim and don't see anything visible, so my thinking is that they didn't put anything on. I'm waiting on a set of new rims+tires to come in, so when i swap them I'm gonna probably take it off and have a look-see, but wondering if anyone has any opinions.

The sounds I'm hearing is the same squeaking sound you hear when your pads are really worn down. I changed both rotor and pads in the rear (doing fronts next month, as they still have 6000 miles left) And yes, I realize now that I could've put bolts through the caliper mounting holes to help push the rotors off, I didn't think about this at the time.
Appreciate 0